Reload this Page >

Customs and Quarantine Inspections

Customs and Quarantine Inspections

Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:47 am
Just Joined

scottishlass is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Customs and Quarantine Inspections

Hey all...

Just letting people know that I tried to import several things into Australia that have since been seized, it costs $55 to destroy each item and one of them can be irradiated or destroyed, irradiation costs $275 and destruction $55. So for those posting that it is a small charge for fumigation just beware that some of the charges are pretty high (especially considering said item only cost equiv. of about $15 but is irreplaceable unless I go back to Africa!)
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs and Quarantine Inspections

what was seized?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:52 am
Just Joined

scottishlass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
what was seized?
they seized some ornaments which apparently contain rice, banana and herbs (???), I am waiting to receive a photograph from the aussie shipment company to confirm what they are, as I can't think what they could be!

They also seized a shell from the Caribbean and some pinned butterflies from Peru, which isn't that unexpected but the items are at least 20 years old so I am hoping to claim them back.

The item to be irradiated or destroyed is a rawhide drum from zambia.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:48 am
adelaidewannabe

Originally Posted by scottishlass
they seized some ornaments which apparently contain rice, banana and herbs.
They also seized a shell from the Caribbean and some pinned butterflies from Peru.
The item to be irradiated or destroyed is a rawhide drum.
All of these items are on the AQIS list of items that can't be brought into Australia.

It's really easy to check what can and can't be brought in and you can also contact AQIS prior to importation and ask any specific questions.

Have a look here: www.daffa.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia

Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:33 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I forgot or rather thought I had removed all pine cones from xmas decs and we had 3 cones and cinnamon sticks discovered in the xmas decs. It was $210 to fumigate or $55 to destroy.

We chose destroy as not paying $210 and they cost me about 10 pound in the uk. Gutted but you have to pay no choice.

Altogether we paid $870 to get our stuff through customs and AQIS.

Jo
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough

hi, thanks for the info,

i 'm pretty sure i have sifted out any pine cones but we are still deliberating whether to take some sea grass baskets or not, had conflicting advice form the 3 shipping firms we had out. what would u recommend??

thanks
claire
x
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:28 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Try asking AQIS their advice. We got a car and all our outdoor furniture and a cane box through will see if they opened these boxes when they deliver on wednesday. I think it all depends on the inventory and how they are labelled as this is how they pick ones out to check though I think they also use xray machines too.

We also got our dyson through no problems. We did spend a lot of time cleaning everything though.

I know someone who found some pine cones in their photo box which didnt get pulled by quarantine so there is no saying whether what one persons gets through someone else will too.

Jo
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flump
hi, thanks for the info,

i 'm pretty sure i have sifted out any pine cones but we are still deliberating whether to take some sea grass baskets or not, had conflicting advice form the 3 shipping firms we had out. what would u recommend??

thanks
claire
x
I'd dump then now. However I wouldn't have had them in the first place so my advice may not be right for AQIS Actually, I'm fairly certain they won't like them either.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:39 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

AQIS also offer the opportunity to have such dangerous articles returned to he UK and the cost of that is often the cheapest option.
As another poster said, it is hit and miss what gets stopped

A&N