Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Customs -MP3 songs in Laptop allowed?

Customs -MP3 songs in Laptop allowed?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

chuckyn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customs -MP3 songs in Laptop allowed?

I am moving downunder this month in the last week.

I am carrying my laptop with me. I have a huge collection of MP3 songs. Does the Australian customs check this contents of my laptop. I do not have any unlicenced software in my laptop. All I have is MP3 songs.

Is MP3 songs ok to carry in laptop. I am going first time to Australia as an Immigrant. Please give your views and opinions.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:34 am
WBB

Default Re: Customs -MP3 songs in Laptop allowed?

Originally posted by chuckyn
I am moving downunder this month in the last week.

I am carrying my laptop with me. I have a huge collection of MP3 songs. Does the Australian customs check this contents of my laptop. I do not have any unlicenced software in my laptop. All I have is MP3 songs.

Is MP3 songs ok to carry in laptop. I am going first time to Australia as an Immigrant. Please give your views and opinions.

i don't know for sure but i'm sure that you will be fine, i had not considered this but i have hundreds of mp3's on my hard drive.

have you backed them up onto disc?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

chuckyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i don't know for sure but i'm sure that you will be fine, i had not considered this but i have hundreds of mp3's on my hard drive.

have you backed them up onto disc?
I have the MP3 songs alone in CDs which I am not carrying with me. I have a copy of these CDs onto my laptop expecting no checks like that in laptops for MP3 songs. Mp3 songs are my personal choice collection like my favorites. A few downloaded from internet, and a few others bought. But now they are in my harddisk.

Any advice appreciated ?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

been in and out 5 times as recent migrant still working abroad. imo customs will be much more concerned about dried foods or wood curios, no problem with hard drive. imo zero worries.

bon voyage

david

still working abroad. imo they
Originally posted by chuckyn
I have the MP3 songs alone in CDs which I am not carrying with me. I have a copy of these CDs onto my laptop expecting no checks like that in laptops for MP3 songs. Mp3 songs are my personal choice collection like my favorites. A few downloaded from internet, and a few others bought. But now they are in my harddisk.

Any advice appreciated ?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 3:45 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

IMO I think checking a hard drive would be the same as reading through someone's personal diary - an invasion of privacy. They wouldn't do this unless they find contraband on you or the like!

Last edited by joninoxford; Jan 3rd 2004 at 9:14 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

mutznuts1 is an unknown quantity at this point

They are only illegal if you have illegaly downloaded mp3's but if they are just backups of albums you have bought legally then you have nothing to worry about
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

dogged is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mutznuts1
They are only illegal if you have illegaly downloaded mp3's but if they are just backups of albums you have bought legally then you have nothing to worry about
you can't even do that in oz...

http://www.copyright.org.au/PDF/InfoSheets/G070.pdf

There is no way that they will check your laptop..

Video taping TV, "backing up" your music cds, dvds ect are all illegal but no one gives a stuff unless you are trying to sell them.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dogged

Video taping TV, "backing up" your music cds, dvds ect are all illegal but no one gives a stuff unless you are trying to sell them.
They can take an image of your hard drive but are only likely to do so if they think you are a threat to the state.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:19 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom
They can take an image of your hard drive but are only likely to do so if they think you are a threat to the state.

some of the mp3's i have could be considered bad but i think national security would be ok.

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

mutznuts1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dogged

OMG not allowed to back up cds etc what to do!!!Oh well I would hate to steal from an artist that only gets paid a few million day/week/month/year.Hmm i can maybe see a controversial post coming on How do you do a poll on this thing?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:35 pm
WBB

Originally posted by mutznuts1
OMG not allowed to back up cds etc what to do!!!Oh well I would hate to steal from an artist that only gets paid a few million day/week/month/year.Hmm i can maybe see a controversial post coming on How do you do a poll on this thing?

controversial, thats not like you.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:47 am
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they will have absolutely zero interest in your hard drive as long as it is not made of vegetable, fruit or meat.