Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Customs and Flights - Headphones and Nicorette patches/gum

Customs and Flights - Headphones and Nicorette patches/gum

Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Customs and Flights - Headphones and Nicorette patches/gum

Hi All,
I've booked flights with Singapore Airlines and fly out in two weeks time but I have two quick questions:

1) Are headphones avaliable on the flight or do we need to bring our own? If so what type of connection do we need?

2) I am part way through my nicotine replacement treatment so I want to bring the rest with me. I will have 6 weeks worth of Nicorette patches and 6 weeks worth of Nicorette gum. Am I ok to have most of them in my suitcases? And a few of each in my hand luggage? Are they classed as 'Medication'? Do I need to declare them?

Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2012, 9:36 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs and Flights - Headphones and Nicorette patches/gum

Headphones are always provided but the quality and comfort is not always the best. Get yourself a pair of noise cancelling headphones, well worth the cost for long trips - prices range from around $45 (Sony) to over $500 (Bose). I'm still trying to justify buying the Bose ones!

You need either a 3mm stereo jack or a twin adaptor to fit the airline sockets - any pair of headphones will come with both as standard.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 10:32 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't worry about the Nicorette. If they ask at customs then tell them, they 'may' show up on the xray but won't be a problem.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:29 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a little adaptor (about £3) so i could use my own headphones on the flight. I hate the ones they hand out, they're always too big for my tiny noggin...
Old Mar 21st 2012, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

double 3.5 jack they sell they at all airports about 4 quid
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:51 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

+1 to getting noise cancelling headphones.

I got a $200 pair and they make an ENORMOUS difference.

Because you dont need to strain to hear dialogue of inflight entertainment - its more pleasant to watch, you feel less tired, and not having engine noise means sleeping might be easier too. A decent pair will sit on your head for 24 hours without you really noticing them - but if you slip them off temporarily you'll suddenly be struck by how ridiculously loud the background hum of a cruising aircraft really is!

They are by far the cheapest way to 'upgrade' your flight experience.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Hi All,
2) I am part way through my nicotine replacement treatment so I want to bring the rest with me. I will have 6 weeks worth of Nicorette patches and 6 weeks worth of Nicorette gum. Am I ok to have most of them in my suitcases? And a few of each in my hand luggage? Are they classed as 'Medication'? Do I need to declare them?

Thanks
Are you stopping in Singapore? Local law bans the carrying of any Nicottine products other than the 1 packet of cigarattes you are carrying. Chewing gum is also banned in Singapore so your Nicottine gum could provide a double whammy.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies,
I was thinking about wearing one patch and taking one in my hand luggage and I don't really need the gum so I could pack them in my cases with the rest of the patches if needed. Do you think that would be ok?

I've seen some noise cancelling headphones in Argos so I'm picking some up on Monday ready
Old Mar 24th 2012, 11:24 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I've been caught out on is being able to open the foil packets that the patches come in as there is a real lack of scissors anywhere. If you are going to need to put a new patch on during your travels, open it before you get to the airport.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sass73
One thing I've been caught out on is being able to open the foil packets that the patches come in as there is a real lack of scissors anywhere. If you are going to need to put a new patch on during your travels, open it before you get to the airport.
Thanks I didn't think about that. I'll cup the top off and put it in a plastic sandwich bag