Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Customs Duties on Gifts from UK etc

Customs Duties on Gifts from UK etc

Old May 16th 2005, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about
Question Customs Duties on Gifts from UK etc

Hi all

This may seem like a stupid question . . . I hope not, so here goes . . .

My parents are wanting to send birthday presents to my kids when we move to Aus later this year, but raised the question of customs duties.

Are you limited to a maximum amount of gifts (re the cost of the gift) received from overseas? I know in South Africa (where I originally come from) there used to be a limit and anything over that was subject to customs duties.

Is it the same in Australia?

Thanks a lot
Michele
Old May 16th 2005, 5:26 pm
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of
Default Re: Customs Duties on Gifts from UK etc

Originally Posted by ballyhoo
Hi all

This may seem like a stupid question . . . I hope not, so here goes . . .

My parents are wanting to send birthday presents to my kids when we move to Aus later this year, but raised the question of customs duties.

Are you limited to a maximum amount of gifts (re the cost of the gift) received from overseas? I know in South Africa (where I originally come from) there used to be a limit and anything over that was subject to customs duties.

Is it the same in Australia?

Thanks a lot
Michele
hi michelle not sure on that one ....i think it maybe anything more than £25 but you write on customs slip it's a gift ....worth having a proper look into though
steve
Old May 16th 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

Hi Steve

Thanks for your input. Think I'll dig into the customs sites.

Regards
Michele
Old May 16th 2005, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Gifts from overseas
Customs will not collect duty or GST on unsolicited gifts where:
the consignment value of the included item(s) is $200 or less; or
in the case of a consignment exceeding that value, on the first $200 of the consignment's value.
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4368#5

Buying over the Internet
You will have to pay customs duty and Goods and Services Tax (GST) on your goods if, either:
the total duty and GST combined is more than $50 Australian. Not the value of the item.
OR
a formal Customs Import Entry is required. (see link)
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376

Old May 16th 2005, 11:04 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the story a few years ago about a bloke who bought one of Don Bradman's green cap's at auction in the UK, then got stung for a huge tax bill when he got it to Australia!!

http://www.vivacricket.co.za/html/news1526.shtml

Seriously though, I have had many things sent from the UK such as DVDs, cloths etc as gifts and not had to pay tax.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much everyone. Your input is really appreciated and is putting my parents minds at rest!

Michele
Old May 17th 2005, 7:24 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Whenever anyone sends anything overseas, make sure that the package is wrapped in birthday/x`mas paper, and marked on the customs form as a gift (don`t put a value on it). They are normally very reluctant to open wrapped items unless they think there are drugs or weapons or whatever in there.

Nearly all of our packages to Aus get opened by Customs/Post Office, unless we wrap them as pressies.
Old May 17th 2005, 8:05 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I've just got $500 worth of books from off the net, and didn't get a bill from customs, the forms where on the top with the amounts on them, picked up the package and didn't have to pay any excess! Don't know why not, did think I may get stung but didn't. Maybe it was my lucky day or is the bill in the post?

Jenny
Old May 17th 2005, 8:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jensteve
Maybe it was my lucky day or is the bill in the post?
Jenny
It was your lucky day They send the bill in the post before they release the goods

At least they did with mine !!

Mine was a £400 digital camera marked as a gift with a Birthday card attached. I still had to pay the tax etc. I would have been better buying it over the internet !!

Was it over $500 or just under ? Maybe it would have been just GST, and no import duty, in which case the charge would have been borderline on $50.
ie:
$495 value = $49.50 charge but as its below $50, then NOT charged
$505 value = $50.50 charge and as it is above $50, then it May be charged

I just remembered another rule, when buying over the internet, and you get charged if the goods are sent via the post office and the value of the goods is more than $1000 Australian dollars; or
are sent by sea cargo or air freight (which includes express couriers) and the value of the goods is more than $250 Australian dollars.
UNLESS the other rules apply.

So if yours came via Australia Post, maybe you were exempted under the $1,000 rule.

I think

Old May 17th 2005, 9:30 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Don't know what happened, it was probably just under the $500, and came International signed for so I had to go into Au post and sign for it.

Must have been my lucky day!!

Jenny