Reload this Page >

Customs - bringing in food

Customs - bringing in food

Old Aug 19th 2005, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Scoofy will become famous soon enough
Default Customs - bringing in food

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with bringing back food from back home into Oz. I am from Belgium and would like my friends to bring me loads of chocolate and other tasty treats... Will they have a problem at the airport? I know they can be strict on food, but cannot really find an answer to what is or isn't allowed...

Thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 5:28 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs - bringing in food

Fresh and perishable food is a problem - so fruit is no good.

Chocolate, Sweets, Waffles etc - they're all ok , tinned goods ok.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 5:30 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about chocolate but we brought sweets it. We just declared it and they stuck it through the x-ray and that was it. The worst they'll do is take 'em off you, so long as you declare.

Paul.

Originally Posted by Scoofy
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with bringing back food from back home into Oz. I am from Belgium and would like my friends to bring me loads of chocolate and other tasty treats... Will they have a problem at the airport? I know they can be strict on food, but cannot really find an answer to what is or isn't allowed...

Thanks!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Thanks!
As stated, pre-packaged, unopened food items are usually OK.

BUT - and very important - it MUST be declared.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Scoofy will become famous soon enough

Great, thanks! Happy I'll be having my favourite chocs and sweets
Old Aug 19th 2005, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyc
As stated, pre-packaged, unopened food items are usually OK.

BUT - and very important - it MUST be declared.
Which isn't too much of a problem, as last time I flew into Sydney, the 'goods to declare' queue was shorter and quicker-- and they didn't Xray your bags either!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

We always bring heaps of chocolate back after a trip to UK.
Customs/quaratine people (normally female!) tend to laugh and say there should be a separate declaration on the import forms for chocolate.

However if you don't declare it they get very upset and you can be fined- and the items confiscated!
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:36 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

We took chocolate, shreddied wheat, wozzits crips and walkers cheese and onion....we declared it at immigration/customs and the immigration officer wanted them all for herself...apart from that, it was fine.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pomster
We always bring heaps of chocolate back after a trip to UK.
Customs/quaratine people (normally female!) tend to laugh and say there should be a separate declaration on the import forms for chocolate.

However if you don't declare it they get very upset and you can be fined- and the items confiscated!
Hi
I have found if you declare you can bring in most anything (processed)
I even brought back a tinned fruit cake (made in UK). I declared it, they looked at it, no damage to the tin etc, and there was no problem.

The only people I know who have been in trouble with customs are those who try to hide or sneak things through. Pleading ignorance does not help, they have very broad powers, and they will use them if you upset them.

That said chocolate is OK, I too have brought back such things in quantity! Got to love that Belgium chocolate
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Diamond Lil will become famous soon enoughDiamond Lil will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

Thanks!
Two years ago coming back to OZ I declared I had some packets of Birds Custard powder - immediately confiscated !! Said they were too much risk because of foot and mouth disease in the UK.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Diamond Lil
Two years ago coming back to OZ I declared I had some packets of Birds Custard powder - immediately confiscated !! Said they were too much risk because of foot and mouth disease in the UK.
Not too surprised at this given a) time you brought it back and b) milk based product.

Just a note on that (milk based product) you can bring in - if you have an infant - baby formula and quite alot of it!