Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Customs in Australia

Customs in Australia

Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough
Default Customs in Australia

Placing a motor bike and van (with tools) into a 20ft container and sending to Oz. How much customs would have to be paid and would there be an import tax on vehicles
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs in Australia

If you have owned the goods for more than 12 months - and can prove it - then usually nothing.

There may be inspection/cleaning charges applied by them.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough

I just assume there would be some form of handling charge. So you dont think there is a customs or vat fee
Old Mar 8th 2007, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bagspacked
I just assume there would be some form of handling charge. So you dont think there is a customs or vat fee
I can only comment on the lack of import duty.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You will pay a fee on importing your vehicles and registering them. Check to make sure they are really worth importing and bringing to Australian standards before you spend the money.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:57 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bagspacked
Placing a motor bike and van (with tools) into a 20ft container and sending to Oz. How much customs would have to be paid and would there be an import tax on vehicles
Mate, there is import tax on vehicles and you should realise as well that you are only allowed ONE personal import per person and you must have owned those for at least 12 months. You need to seek an import permit for whatever you decide.

By and large it is not worth it. Had I done it all over again I would never have imported my bike here and would have sold it and bought another. You wont be able to sell an import here as well so I think its simply more hassle than its worth.

Check out http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/s...importing.aspx

Then check out customs for what tax you will pay. There is import duty to pay and once you add it all up you really have to think if its worth it, especially given all the running around you will have to do once its even here to get it registered.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I can only comment on the lack of import duty.
Sorry - misread post.....I'm referring to ONE personal vehicle.