Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Curtains or Blinds?

Curtains or Blinds?

Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all
Red face Curtains or Blinds?

We have sold our house and all our furniture is going into storage until we go in August! (Moving in with my mum until then :scared: ) But we are just wondering whether to take our curtains and curtain poles to Oz? We have been looking on various sites at property and I have not seen a single pair of curtains, do they have curtains over there or just blinds? Help me! shipping company coming in the next couple of weeks!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curtains or Blinds?

Originally Posted by Pink & Fluffy
We have sold our house and all our furniture is going into storage until we go in August! (Moving in with my mum until then :scared: ) But we are just wondering whether to take our curtains and curtain poles to Oz? We have been looking on various sites at property and I have not seen a single pair of curtains, do they have curtains over there or just blinds? Help me! shipping company coming in the next couple of weeks!
What are curtains and what are curtain poles? Never seen them before...
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:31 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I had very expensive curtains and poles in the UK so decided to bring them with me. Almost 2 years later, they are still in the wrapping that they arrived in

IMO curtains are not practical here. There are so many nice blinds to choose from which are more practical as you can close them slightly to keep the place cool and also stop furniture from fading in the sun. That's a bit difficult with curtains as they are either open or closed. Be warned though, decent blinds aren't cheap, especially if they are fitted. But somehow I think they look better than curtains and are more practical over here.

All that aside, it's about individual choice. You may find you prefer curtains and wish you'd have bought them just in case
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:32 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they have curtains

A lot of people prefer blinds because they can close them slightly, angling out the sun and just allowing air to come through.

I am not a big fan of blinds - got them in my flat where I am now but they are the horizontal slatted ones and so I cannot ever open them properly. Vertical ones are much better. Aussies like blinds. But to answer your question, you can get curtains in Australia
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all
Red face Re: Curtains or Blinds?

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Yes, they have curtains

A lot of people prefer blinds because they can close them slightly, angling out the sun and just allowing air to come through.

I am not a big fan of blinds - got them in my flat where I am now but they are the horizontal slatted ones and so I cannot ever open them properly. Vertical ones are much better. Aussies like blinds. But to answer your question, you can get curtains in Australia
Thanks for the replies, I thought the lack of curtains was maybe due to something more sinister than the sun and heat! I was concerned about spiders hiding in them :scared:
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies, I thought the lack of curtains was maybe due to something more sinister than the sun and heat! I was concerned about spiders hiding in them :scared:
We've been in 4 different rentals since we've been here. the first three all had blinds, although we used our curtains (yes we brought some curtains with us too) in one of them. The place we are in now has curtains in the lounge which are really nice, but blinds in the bedrooms. The blinds are crap though and both the kids bedrooms have windows which face north and have the sun all day. as a result the stupid plastic fitting on the blinds have gone brittle in the sun and most have snapped resulting in half the bits falling off at the slightest touch!! So just bear in mind that the sun is really good at bleaching/ruining some window dressings!!
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice

As a true expert i can answer this one. NO ONE HAS CURTAINS!!!!

On the Sunshine Coast. Shutters if you have Money!!

Verticals if your a tight arse!!

Come see me at The Blinds Place, Maroocydore!!