Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Currumbin, Anyone near there?

Currumbin, Anyone near there?

Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:31 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Question Currumbin, Anyone near there?

Hi Everyone,

I have been here in Adelaide for nearly two years now. After a rocky, homesicky kinda start I know feel really settled, my house feels like a home, I know my way around,I have a reasonable social circle, and know my skivvies from my polo necks

To cut a rather long (and boring ) story short, it looks likely that we are moving to Queensland in the very near future. The job is based in Currumbin( near the NSW border). It is just like emigrating fresh all over again ....I have no idea of 'good' and 'bad' areas, likewise with schools (I would like to be in a good High School Zone as my eldest is not far off)

So this is a call for help and advice so that we can get off to a quick good start without (hopefully) too much driving around suburbs with bored kids......

Is there such a place that's:

Near to large shopping centre (getting my priorities right here )
Not too far from a Hospital.
Within half an hour of the coast.
Reserves or parks in the neighbourhood.
Public High School with a good academic reputation.
Lots of '40 somethings' with Primary age children.

Thank-you, Thank-you (in Advance )

Jan
Old Jul 4th 2006, 8:07 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of
Default Re: Currumbin, Anyone near there?

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Hi Everyone,

I have been here in Adelaide for nearly two years now. After a rocky, homesicky kinda start I know feel really settled, my house feels like a home, I know my way around,I have a reasonable social circle, and know my skivvies from my polo necks

To cut a rather long (and boring ) story short, it looks likely that we are moving to Queensland in the very near future. The job is based in Currumbin( near the NSW border). It is just like emigrating fresh all over again ....I have no idea of 'good' and 'bad' areas, likewise with schools (I would like to be in a good High School Zone as my eldest is not far off)

So this is a call for help and advice so that we can get off to a quick good start without (hopefully) too much driving around suburbs with bored kids......

Jan
Hi Jan,

Boy, another life-changing move for you!

In response to your questions:

1. Shopping - yes there are a number of large shopping centres within easy reach of Currumbin, including Tweed Heads, Elanora, various smaller malls at Burleigh Heads and of course Robina Shopping Town (a short drive up the highway).

2. Hospitals - There are plenty of local clinics and pharmacies in Currumbin, as well as a private hospital. The main public hospital is located at Southport (108 Nerang Street, Southport, Phone: 5571 8211) and there is also a public hospital in Tweed Heads (Powell Street, Tweed Heads, Phone: 5536 1133). The Gold Coast hospital also has a campus at Robina (Bayberry Lane Robina, Phone: 5501 8333), but I am not sure what services it offers.

3. Beaches - Currumbin is right on the coast, and all the surrounding suburbs are really not much more than a 15 minutes drive to the nearest beach. Elephant Rock and Flat Rock are great, and there is good fishing in the Currumbin Creek estuary.

4. Reserves and parks - There are several national park areas close to Currumbin, rockpools for swimming in Currumbin Valley and of course Currumbin Sanctuary

5. Schools - PBC High is the local high school - it has had a pretty good reputation for some years. Their debating team and participation in Lions Youth of the Year competitions has always been strong. There are also numerous private schools within striking distance, including Marymount College at Burleigh Heads and Somerset College at Mudgeeraba. There is a list of Gold Coast schools here.

6. 40 somethings - can't guarantee you that, but I'm sure you'd find them! If your kids are into the beach lifestyle, why not think about getting involved with the local surf life saving club - good way to keep the kids busy and meet other parents. This suburb profile has staistical information on the make up of Currumbin.

There is information on moving to Queensland here, and more specific information on Currumbin here. The Gold Coast City council website may also be of some use.

I'm sure I will think of some other things to say about Currumbin, but in the meantime I hope this helps.

Good luck with the move!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 8:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Jan
Yup, I'm just next door to Currumbin. Love it. It's a really beautiful part of the world. Lots of small shops, lovely primary school, stacks and stacks of clubs and activities, great beach five minutes away.

The nearest large shopping centre is Elanora, just over the bridge from Currumbin, and Tweed Heads has huge shopping area, about 10 minutes down the road. Robina is about 20 mins up the highway with a really good shopping centre.

Elanora/Palm Beach has two very good high schools. Elanora High is very good with about 1200 pupils and Palm Beach Currumbin is also good but much bigger - has over 2000 pupils.

Elanora also has a good primary.

I am definitely 40+ with 11 and 13 year old.

Very close to stunning hinterland - green, lush, valleys, mountains etc. Lots of parks with play equipment and bbqs

There's a private hospital just down the road in Tugan that is very good, and a large public hospital in Tweed Heads, and Gold Coast Hospital is about half an hour up the GC Highway.

Any more info just shout. I love this area, it's perfect for us as it's got everything. PM me if you like - happy to chat.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 8:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We must have been typing at the same time. Ridds has been far more professional than me and missed Elanora High - damn good school but we have generally given the same, so must be right
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:09 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We must have been typing at the same time. Ridds has been far more professional than me and missed Elanora High - damn good school but we have generally given the same, so must be right
LOL - sorry I missed Elanora High... it was only just launched when I was leaving school! As well as being a product of the gold coast school system, I have a reasonable number of contacts at the local high schools so if you want other info on the schools let me know and I will see who I can put you in contact with. There is also a load of info on Gold Coast schools here.

Regardless of schools, you should love Currumbin and the general area, Jan.

Cheers
Old Jul 4th 2006, 11:25 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Cu-cu-currumbin, cu-cu-currumbin......

Sorry, can't be of any help but just the name Currumbin makes me sing the advert for the wildlife sanctuary they had on TV some years back in my head

Good luck with everything....

Graham
Old Jul 8th 2006, 2:21 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Thank-you so much for the time you must have taken to post Ridds, you have given me so much information to follow up in those links....any excuse to surf the net me Thank-you also to Moneypen20, as you say it can't be that bad if you both say the same positive things about the area

We passed through Currumbin as tourists in Jan 2005 (we took our kids to the wildlife park there) but don't recall much else of the area except perhaps the humidity!....I really hope I will aclimatise as everyone assures me I will.

I need to research the High School thing thoroughly, Elenora High sounds promising. Are the schools strictly zoned as they are here? I think this will determine the area we will live in the most. I suppose I'm after an area with a strong community spirit, with youngish families,local shopping as well as that all important huge Mall nearby!! My kids are 8,7,4 and 1 (oh and Husband 41 )

We also have two dogs so it would be good to have a dogs off leads place/beach not too far away....I don't ask for much do I

Anyone else have any views (good or bad) on Currumbin and the surrounding areas?

What is the post-code for this area?

Oh and while I'm here is there a web-site for ex-pats more local to the area as there is 'Adelaidebrits' for Adelaide and 'PomsinPerth' for Perth? I know of Baysidebrits?? but was thinking this was based a fair way away from the Currumbin area?

God I must sound like a right old 'newbie' here Sorry!

Thank-you so much again for your posts, they are most helpful.

Jan
Old Jul 8th 2006, 6:29 pm
brisvegas

Hi Jan,

The Currumbin post code is 4223.

I'm not sure myself about school catchment areas on the gold coast - you should probably contact the schools directly for specific zoning information. Education Queensland may also be able to help. This map shows all the public schools on the gold coast.

There are lots of dog-friendly areas on the coast where you can let your dogs off the leash - there is a list here... division 13 is the one relating to Currumbin.

No idea about expat websites for the gold coast area, but I'm sure if you put the question in a specific post, someone here would be bound to know!

Cheers
Old Jul 9th 2006, 12:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Hi Jan. Palm Beach Currumbin High School has a very specific catchment area, Elanora High doesn't so possibly more scope to get into. My daughter is very happy at Elanora and I know people whose kids are at PBC who are also happy so not too much of a problem with either to be honest. There are quite a few kids at Elanora who travel in from Coolangatta and various places because they think it's better than their local one but as far as I am aware, there are no rubbish school and anyway what is perfect for one, may not be for someone else.

Baysidebrits is miles away from GC. There isn't anything similar for GC.

There are stacks of young families around here and more clubs and activities than you could shake a stick at to be honest. Although Currumbin is fairly small, there is great community spirit and some of the clubs are: sailing, scuba, footie - all types, judo, gym/dance/trampoline, Olympic pool with excellent teaching, surf club with nippers, a couple of adult gyms, hockey, a large RSL which is always busy, tennis etc etc etc. small shopping area but very close to Elanora and Coolangatta. It's close to the highway up to Brissie, about 30-40 minutes to all the theme parks, loads of parks with doggy facilities.
that'll keep you going for a while. Look forward to the next question
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all

Hi Everyone,

Jan
hi jan,
we (myself,hubby and three boys 15,12 and 8)been in tweed heads for 5 weeks now(not far from currumbin,10 mins i think,tweed heads got everything you asked for,my boys start school next week and are looking forwad to going,we have just bought a house with things in mind such as schools near,supermarkets and the beach is a seven minute drive,the only problem is im terribly homesick!one of my children feel the same but the other two and my husband done ever want to leave so i have to cheer up so im told!!!!i hope this helps a little,take care x
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by mrs i
hi jan,
we (myself,hubby and three boys 15,12 and 8)been in tweed heads for 5 weeks now(not far from currumbin,10 mins i think,tweed heads got everything you asked for,my boys start school next week and are looking forwad to going,we have just bought a house with things in mind such as schools near,supermarkets and the beach is a seven minute drive,the only problem is im terribly homesick!one of my children feel the same but the other two and my husband done ever want to leave so i have to cheer up so im told!!!!i hope this helps a little,take care x
Just sent you a PM
Old Jul 11th 2006, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm right next door to Currumbin too Now living in Elanora.....we rented in Currumbin Waters when we first arrived. Lovely area!!...fantastic schools, beaches....I think MP has covered most but if you need any help just pm me Tweed and Coolangatta are also very nice too.

All the best

Sue x
Old Jul 28th 2006, 5:10 am
Jan4kids

Smile Re: Currumbin, Anyone near there?

Hi all you Gold Coasters

Just a further thank-you for all your helpful posts and P.M's....think I have a few cyber friends already LOL!

I have noted the meet for Sunday 13th August and will deffo be there if I am there by then. Rob starts work in Currumbin on the 14th, I may well still be here with the kids if we don't manage to sell the house

Hope to see you all soon.

Jan