British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   curries in bayside (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/curries-bayside-340821/)

Atticus Dec 3rd 2005 10:03 am

curries in bayside

As I class myself as a bit of a curry connoisseur and after having read numerous posts on this website talking of the merits and the culinary delights of the Balti in Birkdale, I went and tried out the same and feel obliged to give my opinion -

it is my opinion that the above curry was nothing more than distinctly average which left me to ponder over the relative expertise and merit of the previous posts who waxed so lyrical about the said balti in birkdale. Now its not my intention to be deragatory of anyone's curry palate but I do believe its my duty (being my first post!) to bring to your attention all you exiled curry lovers a wee gem of a curry house called the "Bengal Curry House" located at 17 Fox Street, Wynnum. I was very impressed with the quality and true authenticity of a real indian curry. So I believe it is my duty to bring this to your attention. The service was honest and it was evident that it is a family run enterprise I would like to bring to all potential curry eaters that as a boy I was taught never to judge a book by its cover so please pay scant regard to both the exterior and interior decor of the Bengal Curry House and try the food it is superb one of the best Ive had bar the missus's whose family happens to originate from the that part of the world and is a great cook.

enjoy

Mr Atticus :D

lynnlovessun Dec 3rd 2005 11:11 am

Re: curries in bayside

Originally Posted by Atticus
As I class myself as a bit of a curry connoisseur and after having read numerous posts on this website talking of the merits and the culinary delights of the Balti in Birkdale, I went and tried out the same and feel obliged to give my opinion -

it is my opinion that the above curry was nothing more than distinctly average which left me to ponder over the relative expertise and merit of the previous posts who waxed so lyrical about the said balti in birkdale. Now its not my intention to be deragatory of anyone's curry palate but I do believe its my duty (being my first post!) to bring to your attention all you exiled curry lovers a wee gem of a curry house called the "Bengal Curry House" located at 17 Fox Street, Wynnum. I was very impressed with the quality and true authenticity of a real indian curry. So I believe it is my duty to bring this to your attention. The service was honest and it was evident that it is a family run enterprise I would like to bring to all potential curry eaters that as a boy I was taught never to judge a book by its cover so please pay scant regard to both the exterior and interior decor of the Bengal Curry House and try the food it is superb one of the best Ive had bar the missus's whose family happens to originate from the that part of the world and is a great cook.

enjoy

Mr Atticus :D

Hi Mr Atticus

We also ate at the curry house in Birkdale and although it was nice we also felt it wasn't a patch on the curries I used to have in Glasgow - so we were a bit disappointed. We have been told that there is a far nicer Indian in Cleveland - the name escapes me but I think its across from Raby bay area - will go on a hunt for it. Think it depends on your taste - we had never had a curry 'balti' style before all in the one big balti dish. Will check out the Wynnum one if i'm even up that way.

Lynn

ABCDiamond Dec 3rd 2005 11:20 am

I've always wondered about the difference between "Engish" Indian Curry, and actual Indian curry.

I remember my first "Indian" curry, cooked by Indian friends here, and it was so different to the old "English" ones I was used to.

madsad Dec 3rd 2005 11:29 am

Well, its worth a try ;) would be great to be spoilt for choice :D (again)

Do you have a phone no,exact address??

Donna.

spalen Dec 3rd 2005 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by madsad
Well, its worth a try ;) would be great to be spoilt for choice :D (again)

Do you have a phone no,exact address??

Donna.

If its the one across from Raby Bay next to the german restaurant then it is awful. The chicken they used was just like they got a chicken (or might have been a small cat) got a big chopper knife and swedish-chef'd the bugger into bits and chucked it in a curry sauce.

I know curry was originally to mask bad meat - but I dont want to eat undescribed bits of chickens ass.

Birkdale is bloody superb english style curry - its not traditional authentic indian and if it was nobody around would like it becaues thats a very different tase to the curry served in england. And they appear to use breast-meat ie white chunks of meat that you can recognise. The one in raby bay when Ive had it (3 times) is just pants in comparison.

lynnlovessun Dec 3rd 2005 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by spalen
If its the one across from Raby Bay next to the german restaurant then it is awful. The chicken they used was just like they got a chicken (or might have been a small cat) got a big chopper knife and swedish-chef'd the bugger into bits and chucked it in a curry sauce.

I know curry was originally to mask bad meat - but I dont want to eat undescribed bits of chickens ass.

Birkdale is bloody superb english style curry - its not traditional authentic indian and if it was nobody around would like it becaues thats a very different tase to the curry served in england. And they appear to use breast-meat ie white chunks of meat that you can recognise. The one in raby bay when Ive had it (3 times) is just pants in comparison.

Birkdale curry nice but just 'OK' to me - nothing like the fab curries I used to have in Glasgow. We had Thai takeaway tonight and it was beautiful - so maybe i'll find something else to enjoy instead. Not sure if its the same restaurant your talking about - it was another forum poster who said it was nice - whats the name of the one you are describing? I hate bad chicken meat - I only like ckn breast - i feel sick if i find fat or brown meat in a meal.

Scottish curry and English Indian obviously 2 different things!!!

Lynn

spalen Dec 3rd 2005 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Birkdale curry nice but just 'OK' to me - nothing like the fab curries I used to have in Glasgow. We had Thai takeaway tonight and it was beautiful - so maybe i'll find something else to enjoy instead. Not sure if its the same restaurant your talking about - it was another forum poster who said it was nice - whats the name of the one you are describing? I hate bad chicken meat - I only like ckn breast - i feel sick if i find fat or brown meat in a meal.

Scottish curry and English Indian obviously 2 different things!!!

Lynn

Yeah I did say English not british - English curry houses dont have irn bru and fried marsbars for starters alongside the onion bhajis. :)

The birkdale one is spice avenue of course but the one in raby-bay I dont know the name - might be indian cottage or something similar. Its next to the cattery... actually thinking about it..........

madsad Dec 3rd 2005 12:25 pm

Well,im waitin for a few more replys to this thread before we go & try it.
The Balti house in Birkdale was fab & hard to beat in my opinion! Im now craving to go back & this time we'll be takin a few curry sauces back home with us(to Strathpine that is!!)
Im not English,SCOTTISH & from Glasgow & the Birkdale Indian is the closest we've tasted to what we're used to from back home :p

Donna.

madsad Dec 3rd 2005 12:32 pm

Yeah I did say English not british - English curry houses dont have irn bru and fried marsbars for starters alongside the onion bhajis. :)

The birkdale one is spice avenue of course but the one in raby-bay I dont know the name - might be indian cottage or something similar. Its next to the cattery... actually thinking about it..........

INDIAN COTTAGE??? Thats the name of the Indian we regularly ate at in Kirkintilloch!!! (UK) :eek:

Dont care :p what i would give for a mixed tandoori/madras sauce right now :D

Donna.

spalen Dec 3rd 2005 12:33 pm

INDIAN COTTAGE??? Thats the name of the Indian we regularly ate at in Kirkintilloch!!! (UK) :eek:

Dont care :p what i would give for a mixed tandoori/madras sauce right now :D

Donna.

Yeah and the one in Portsmouth near my Uni... Either the guy is a billionaire curry baron or its a common name.

on that subject - the best 2 ThaiRestaurant names are in sydney Thai-foon and Thai-tanic superb.

madsad Dec 3rd 2005 12:38 pm

Yeah and the one in Portsmouth near my Uni... Either the guy is a billionaire curry baron or its a common name.

on that subject - the best 2 ThaiRestaurant names are in sydney Thai-foon and Thai-tanic superb.

Never had Thai :confused:

Spalen,your avatar is quite disturbing :o

Donna.

biggy Dec 3rd 2005 12:45 pm

Ours was the Pir Mahal in Hamilton.....superb!!!! and may I just add....the "English" curry isnt a patch on the stuff u get in Scotland.......I find the English currys very watery but thats just my opinion :D

madsad Dec 3rd 2005 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by biggy
Ours was the Pir Mahal in Hamilton.....superb!!!! and may I just add....the "English" curry isnt a patch on the stuff u get in Scotland.......I find the English currys very watery but thats just my opinion :D

Good onya missus :D :p

Donna.

spalen Dec 3rd 2005 12:50 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Spalen,your avatar is quite disturbing :o

its not that bad when you see the full picture (is off the news)

God those scottish curries are dry as hell

biggy Dec 3rd 2005 12:51 pm

:D

Good onya missus :D :p

Donna.

:D :D