Reload this Page >

Curriculum Vitae's

Curriculum Vitae's

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

smithfield22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Curriculum Vitae's

Curriculum Vitae's

I read a thread recently regarding making your CV 5 pages long. How does this work - what do you put in it - do you jazz up your current CV adding more crap or is there a set draft to follow?
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

helen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Curriculum Vitae's

Originally Posted by smithfield22
Curriculum Vitae's

I read a thread recently regarding making your CV 5 pages long. How does this work - what do you put in it - do you jazz up your current CV adding more crap or is there a set draft to follow?
To be honest personally I feel 5 pages abit excessive,as people switch off reading C.Vs of this length.
I feel its better to be concise and to the point,it makes better reading. Helen.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Curriculum Vitae's

We found this doc regarding resumes, it may help !!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
cv how to.doc (30.0 KB, 191 views)
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:29 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Curriculum Vitae's

My CV is about 5 pages long. I have done a detailed CV to send with my skills assessment (nursing) instead of just writing what jobs you have done, when you started when you finished bla...bla... you write a bit about what the job entailed, your main duties, what you achieved. Apparently the australians expect your CV to be like this, not like in UK where they only want 1-2 pages. Hope this sheds some light!

jackie
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 9:14 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
My CV is about 5 pages long. I have done a detailed CV to send with my skills assessment (nursing) instead of just writing what jobs you have done, when you started when you finished bla...bla... you write a bit about what the job entailed, your main duties, what you achieved. Apparently the australians expect your CV to be like this, not like in UK where they only want 1-2 pages. Hope this sheds some light!

jackie
I contributed to the original thread, as I shaped my CV based on input from an Australian recruiter. I've a cover page which is a summary, and then starting with my current job, and working backwards, I've covered my working career. I've only ever had 2 employers, but I've had several roles at both of them, so I focused on those. I also used lots of bullet points, which take up space and really help for easy reading. The older the info, the less detail. I'm in IT management, so I've focused on management type things, so high level responsibilitites and achievements rather than getting to detailed, as details can come from an interview.

Think about it from the other side, as an employer, and what they would want from a CV. It needs to sell you to them, to the extent where they want to invite you for an interview. Then they will use the CV as the script to ask specific questions during an interview.

In all honesty, I could condense mine into about 3 pages, but the layout, and also the readability would be effected.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:35 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Got this from one of the Australian gov's website, might be of help to anyone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WriteResume.pdf (199.1 KB, 114 views)
WriteCoverLetter.pdf (220.9 KB, 240 views)
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:07 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Excellent, thanks for that info.
Clairex
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really nice

Thanks f ro the info

Linda
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:30 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Some more...
Attached Files
WorksheetIndex.pdf (73.1 KB, 89 views)
UnderstandYourself.pdf (190.0 KB, 97 views)
ResearchCareer.pdf (195.7 KB, 89 views)
Interviews.pdf (192.8 KB, 97 views)
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:16 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

CV's mean nothing unless the criteria is met in detail on the PDF (person description form), particularly for government jobs.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

smithfield22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some more...
Thanks for the info - its a great help!
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

my c.v. is 3 pages long and i have about a 80% hit rate with interviews based on it

personnel/ contact details

summary

education & Qualifications

Professional Memberships

career history

For each employer

employer details, dates

employer overview, (business type No employees, turnover etc)

key achievements, main responsibilities bullet pointed, quantified $$$$ or business benefits where ever possible (i.e responsible for the days to day management and supervision both) directly and in directly of X numbers of staff , saved $XXXX by doing this or that)

hobbies and interests

reference

personal information married etc