Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CURRENCY EXCHANGE £ to Aus$

CURRENCY EXCHANGE £ to Aus$

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default CURRENCY EXCHANGE £ to Aus$

hi all,

I have now raised enough cash for a 10% deposit to guarantee/fix the exchange rate with Halewood IFX for the amount we expect to exchange once everything is sold.

I believe that interest rates in Oz are expected to rise on the first Wednesday in April, if this happens what immediate effect could this have, albeit for the short-term, on the £/$ exchange rate, as we have quite a tidy sum and even a 1cent swing would mean + or - a few thousand dollars.

I always thought that I would be happy at $2.40-$2.45 but if the impending interest rate rise could bump this up it may be worth waiting till then

What do you think, I haven't seen the effects of rate rises on the exchange rates before. Or will it go down.

Andy. Visa in hand and ready to go.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CURRENCY EXCHANGE £ to Aus$

Originally posted by andy thomas
hi all,

I have now raised enough cash for a 10% deposit to guarantee/fix the exchange rate with Halewood IFX for the amount we expect to exchange once everything is sold.

I believe that interest rates in Oz are expected to rise on the first Wednesday in April, if this happens what immediate effect could this have, albeit for the short-term, on the £/$ exchange rate, as we have quite a tidy sum and even a 1cent swing would mean + or - a few thousand dollars.

I always thought that I would be happy at $2.40-$2.45 but if the impending interest rate rise could bump this up it may be worth waiting till then

What do you think, I haven't seen the effects of rate rises on the exchange rates before. Or will it go down.

Andy. Visa in hand and ready to go.
NO the increased aus interest rate will make the $oz dollar stronger as a currency, because more people buy it as its a better investment in cash terms...
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by itsasecret
NO the increased aus interest rate will make the $oz dollar stronger as a currency, because more people buy it as its a better investment in cash terms...

does that mean in general terms, that whatever the exchange rate at the time eg. $2.45/£, an interest rate rise will cause this to fall resulting in fewer dollars for your pound? if so should I buy now?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

does that mean in general terms, that whatever the exchange rate at the time eg. $2.45/£, an interest rate rise will cause this to fall resulting in fewer dollars for your pound? if so should I buy now?
Cant say if you should buy,, but yes your right.. a higher interest rate makes aus a better place for people to invest in so this in turn bumps up the dollar and you are buying a stronger currency so you will get less $$ for your ££. Lots of other factors are taken into account, some of which are the Yen, jobless, exports, housing, terrorism ..
last i heard there was not so much a rush to increase the interest rate as expected because of the latest jobless figures.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks Its A Secret, thats a great help, also thankyou MaxPaxx.

I have just got off the phone to a dealer and secured at $2.4375.
I feel very happy now and its one less thing to worry about.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks Its A Secret, thats a great help, also thankyou MaxPaxx.

I have just got off the phone to a dealer and secured at $2.4375.
I feel very happy now and its one less thing to worry about.

I also feel good about tonight as well. My prediction:-

Leeds 0-3 City
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:43 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thought you would be shouting for the Melbourne man to, Viduka.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

I spoke to Halewood about forward rates, the spot rate today is 2.449 so you do seem to get a hammering when you go for a forward rate dont u?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Double check rates with the big banks also the last qoutes I got had the banks giving a better rate as opposed to Halewood.

Terry
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Jamesy
I spoke to Halewood about forward rates, the spot rate today is 2.449 so you do seem to get a hammering when you go for a forward rate dont u?
The spot rate is the inter bank rate. Nobody gets the inter bank rate of exchange. At the time I agreed the deal the interbank rate was 2.4525, I got 1.5 cents below that which I was happy with. dont forget I have only paid 10% of the amount I purchased to guarantee the rate until I have the funds ready to exchange, and there is no time limit when I have to cough up the other 90%.

I'd rather get 2.4375 now than 2.3 when Ive sold my house and cashed in. Dont you have to pay the banks the full 100% straight away?

I'm happy, that was the goal.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:58 pm
ABCDiamond

I'm happy, that was the goal.
Andy,
That's the best way to look at it.

I've seen some people hang on, hoping to make more money from it, but end up with less. And had many sleepless nights in between !

It's a gamble, and once you have committed yourself, you must not think "what if" !

Because if you had waited for a better rate, it could easily have gone the wrong way.

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Andy,
That's the best way to look at it.

I've seen some people hang on, hoping to make more money from it, but end up with less. And had many sleepless nights in between !

It's a gamble, and once you have committed yourself, you must not think "what if" !

Because if you had waited for a better rate, it could easily have gone the wrong way.

Cheers mate, I can sleep now.

If it goes up, then so what, there will be a little more for the next man. If it does go up it aint gonna be by much anyway and all the so called experts expect it to drop to 2.20/2.30 by the end of the year.

When we started looking last Oct the rates were about 2.35 and someone who should know said if you can get 2.40 you will have done ok. I think I've done good. Cant believe that I,ve only had to lay out 10% to fix it, its a steal.

Andy Thomas.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:35 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree if you can bag 2.4 .....be grateful and get on with it !
Just paid up my forward contract with HIFX and happy with the rate i got.
Received letter from HSBC in QLD , confirming my account is now up and running , so will now send $ 's on to them asap and start earning some decent interest (currently 2% in uk )

all the best plum

ps good look everyone who's yet to exchange!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Fair comment! Will find out what the HIFX forward rate is today as the spot rate is up to 2.49, you're right its a gamble and we would all be millionaires if we could predict what the money markets are going to do!