Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Curl Communications

Curl Communications

Old Nov 12th 2005, 4:50 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Curl Communications

Curl Communications are bloody awful.........do not use!!!!
Paying for a 1.5 meg service, downloads at less than 5kps, thats dial-up speed.
Also they dont let you connect to external news servers or peer to peer. (I should have read the small print) bastards

Had to get it off my chest
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:15 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Curl Communications

i was with curl, 512kbps. no problems with them at all. always got around 56KB/s throughput, and i used p2p all the time.

each to their own experience i guess

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Curl Communications are bloody awful.........do not use!!!!
Paying for a 1.5 meg service, downloads at less than 5kps, thats dial-up speed.
Also they dont let you connect to external news servers or peer to peer. (I should have read the small print) bastards

Had to get it off my chest
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:17 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brisnick
i was with curl, 512kbps. no problems with them at all. always got around 56KB/s throughput, and i used p2p all the time.

each to their own experience i guess
Yes I think its the west coast that have the problems.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 5:59 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

seams like p2p is allowed but second priority:

Residential Grade ADSL Circuits:
Residential Grade ADSL Circuits are available in (3) three theoretical speeds which may only be achievable under ideal conditions.

(a) (RG) 256Kbps/64Kbps = 15 GB limit per month, then slowed to 64/64Kbps
(b) (RG) 512Kbps/128Kbps = 25 GB limit per month, then slowed to 64/64Kbps
(c) (RG) 1.5Mbps/256Kbps = 35 GB limit per month, then slowed to 64/64Kbps
* Servers are not permitted
* PPPoE Mode Connection that REQUIRES 24hr session re-authentication from time of last login.
* Fixed IP address.
* No additional IP's available
* Traffic Prioritized as –

Level One for: HTTP, FTP, E-mail, Known Gaming Ports , MSN, ICQ, IRC, VoIP, Veridas News Groups, and

Level Two for: External News Groups, Streaming, ICMP, P2P, Bit Torrent, commonly exploited ports by virus/trojans, anonymous proxy servers, known software piracy sites, etc.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
seams like p2p is allowed but second priority:

Residential Grade ADSL Circuits:
Residential Grade ADSL Circuits are available in (3) three theoretical speeds which may only be achievable under ideal conditions.

(a) (RG) 256Kbps/64Kbps = 15 GB limit per month, then slowed to 64/64Kbps
(b) (RG) 512Kbps/128Kbps = 25 GB limit per month, then slowed to 64/64Kbps
(c) (RG) 1.5Mbps/256Kbps = 35 GB limit per month, then slowed to 64/64Kbps
* Servers are not permitted
* PPPoE Mode Connection that REQUIRES 24hr session re-authentication from time of last login.
* Fixed IP address.
* No additional IP's available
* Traffic Prioritized as –

Level One for: HTTP, FTP, E-mail, Known Gaming Ports , MSN, ICQ, IRC, VoIP, Veridas News Groups, and

Level Two for: External News Groups, Streaming, ICMP, P2P, Bit Torrent, commonly exploited ports by virus/trojans, anonymous proxy servers, known software piracy sites, etc.
Thats what they say about level 2 priority but if you read the forums on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru...es.cfm?t=418436 they actually NEVER allow level 2.

What are these guys the friggin internet police!

Last edited by pompeywill; Nov 12th 2005 at 12:32 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:45 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

do you mean they never allow level 2 in perth, or everywhere? i never had a problem with any of the level 2 traffic - i used to watch premiership football streamed across the net, for instance.

as for them being the internet police - curl are a veridas reseller (as are my current ISP) and as such it is veridas who set the rules. again, i have no problems with what is classed as the level 2 traffic.

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Thats what they say about level 2 priority but if you read the forums on http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru...es.cfm?t=418436 they actually NEVER allow level 2.

What are these guys the friggin internet police!
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by brisnick
do you mean they never allow level 2 in perth, or everywhere? i never had a problem with any of the level 2 traffic - i used to watch premiership football streamed across the net, for instance.

as for them being the internet police - curl are a veridas reseller (as are my current ISP) and as such it is veridas who set the rules. again, i have no problems with what is classed as the level 2 traffic.
I've 'churned' to aanet now as they claim to have no restrictions whatsoever.

I mean whats the point of paying Curl for a 35gig d/l limit when they dont allow you to access the places you want to d/l from?

I am currently downloading a 350 meg file from Easynews using http and its so far taken 3days!!
My newsreader would normally download that in a couple of hours. I couldn't d/l 35gig with Curl if I left it downloading for the whole month......shocking. Arseholes!