Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Culture Shock for my 16yo son?

Culture Shock for my 16yo son?

Old Jun 29th 2004, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

kaka1964 is on a distinguished road
Default Culture Shock for my 16yo son?

Can any expats now living in Australia, please give me any advice on how a typical teenager reacts to life in Oz.
I constantly fear that he will suffer the effects of Culture shock, in that he will become bored, rebellious, isolated. Not that he isnt any of the aforementioned already, he is just a typical young lad. He has lots of friends here, he goes out at the weekend, he likes his computer and his games console, he can pick up the phone here in Scotland and call his friends locally at no cost. But what about when he gets to Oz, when the honeymoon period is over, what can we expect? My two younger kids (boy & girl 12 & 11), I dont think it will trouble them.
what can i expect to happen?
can any others who have kids of a similar age at migration shed any light?
Can any youngsters, perhaps born and bred in Oz give an insight into life for teenagers.

We are just about to apply for our Visa and this issue must be addressed whilst we still have the chance

Many thanks Bob & Karen
Old Jun 29th 2004, 10:50 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culture Shock for my 16yo son?

Originally posted by kaka1964
Can any expats now living in Australia, please give me any advice on how a typical teenager reacts to life in Oz.
I constantly fear that he will suffer the effects of Culture shock, in that he will become bored, rebellious, isolated. Not that he isnt any of the aforementioned already, he is just a typical young lad. He has lots of friends here, he goes out at the weekend, he likes his computer and his games console, he can pick up the phone here in Scotland and call his friends locally at no cost. But what about when he gets to Oz, when the honeymoon period is over, what can we expect? My two younger kids (boy & girl 12 & 11), I dont think it will trouble them.
Can any youngsters, perhaps born and bred in Oz give an insight into life for teenagers.

We are just about to apply for our Visa and this issue must be addressed whilst we still have the chance

Many thanks Bob & Karen
we brought 2 dughters 15 and 17 over about 8 weeks ago. they have settled really well. kids are the same here, althogh i find they stay home more to study. teenagers are the smae no matter where u are in the worl, i think.
australian kids seem very eager to help new kids settle. so dont u worry about your son. i think u will find he will turn out a much nicer lad here than he would have in scotland.
soapy
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

A few people have posted on here that the move has been good for the kids character-wise; coming out of their shell etc.

They previously had referred to their kids as Kevin & Perry.

Of course it will depend on your situation, but I think the *general* reaction is good.

And erm...
..... bored, rebellious, isolated...... he is just a typical young lad....
Ahem...

You'll give us young lads a bad name !!:lecture:

Cheers,
Young_lad (at least I was when I first started the application process)
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:09 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Bob & Karen
i had to laugh at this question

ive still to meet a teenager who tells the truth
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teenagers and sport

If your young bloke is into sport, then he's already half way there. Aussie kids (and not so young!) like their sport, so if he plays soccer, cricket, rugby (in Queensland and NSW) they be sending a stretch limo out for him to play on Saturdays.
My 3 kids are all "natives" and I see no difference between them and their cousins in England when they all get their heads together.
Aussies are pretty friendly, and nowadays, we don't get too many migrants from the "Old Country" any more, so he'll be a curiosity factor at first to help him fit in. Hopefully, someone will take him under their wing, and I find my youngest daughter has a geat set of mates by attending one of the local kirks which caters for youth in a bigggg way. There are camps to go on during holiday periods, etc.
Hope this encourages you to "take the plunge".
Your kids will thank you for it years down the track from now, as it will give them options of where they can spend the rest of their long lives . . . down under or in Europe.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hi there
We have been here over 20 months and our son will be 14 in a couple of weeks and our daughter will be 12 soon. They are great and love it here.
I think you as parents can only do your best with your kids, cant you. They will take the path they want to take whether you like it or not. I argue and disagree with my daughter now so feel we have to iron the differences out now before its to late . But living here i feel has done the world of good for them both, especially scott its really brought him out of his shell and he lives life to the full. Get the kids into something be it a sport or skateboarding, car racing whatever keep them occupied.
In my oponion if they are going to go off the rails they will do it even if you where on a deserted island.
Good luck
Joanne
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:28 am
wombat42

Many thanks Bob & Karen
Moving to Australia is'nt going to turn your son into a mad axe murderer, unless you move to Tasmania.

Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:37 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by wombat42
Moving to Australia is'nt going to turn your son into a mad axe murderer, unless you move to Tasmania.
It'll help out Tasmania's endogamous gene pool in the long tun, so move to Tasmania.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:59 am
wombat42

Many thanks Bob & Karen
l think a lot depends on whether your son wants to move to Australia or he is only moving there because you want him to.
If he wants to move to Australia then l think he will make a lot more of an effort to adapt to Australia and make new friends then if he feels he has been forced to move.

Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:56 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally posted by wombat42
l think a lot depends on whether your son wants to move to Australia or he is only moving there because you want him to.
If he wants to move to Australia then l think he will make a lot more of an effort to adapt to Australia and make new friends then if he feels he has been forced to move.
WHAT !!!!!!
u meant u would let them have an opinion at 16
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:40 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Bob & Karen
Hi

Opposite way round for us. We have a 17 year old and a 13 year old and more worried about the 13 year old.

17 year old is dying to get out there, he is mad for sport especially rugby and loves the surf too.

13 year old is a bit different but have been given confidence by watching these TV programmes about people moving to Oz and the youngest ones settling better than older children or adults for that matter!!

We have family in Perth with children the same age so we are lucky in that respect.

If he's good at mixing and making friends he won't feel so isolated but one thing for sure he will miss home like we all will at some point. It all depends how he can handle it. One way to look at it: if he was going to uni, or college he would have to make new mates anyway, don't matter where you are, be it England or Oz or wherever.

And don't forget there are loads of things in Oz for young people to do, clubs to join etc etc, a lot better than what's on offer in England

Hope this helps

Walla
Old Jun 30th 2004, 7:19 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally posted by walla1
Hi

Opposite way round for us. We have a 17 year old and a 13 year old and more worried about the 13 year old.

17 year old is dying to get out there, he is mad for sport especially rugby and loves the surf too.

13 year old is a bit different but have been given confidence by watching these TV programmes about people moving to Oz and the youngest ones settling better than older children or adults for that matter!!

We have family in Perth with children the same age so we are lucky in that respect.

If he's good at mixing and making friends he won't feel so isolated but one thing for sure he will miss home like we all will at some point. It all depends how he can handle it. One way to look at it: if he was going to uni, or college he would have to make new mates anyway, don't matter where you are, be it England or Oz or wherever.

And don't forget there are loads of things in Oz for young people to do, clubs to join etc etc, a lot better than what's on offer in England

Hope this helps

Walla
i wouldnt worry about your 13 year old, like a duck to water. honest. our oldest daughter was really shy before we came out. i dont think i can rmbr her being so happy since she was 12.
all the kids here seem to want to make friends with the new kid.
i think will see a big change in your 13 year old son, for the better !!!
good luck
Old Jun 30th 2004, 7:35 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by soapy
i wouldnt worry about your 13 year old, like a duck to water. honest. our oldest daughter was really shy before we came out. i dont think i can rmbr her being so happy since she was 12.
all the kids here seem to want to make friends with the new kid.
i think will see a big change in your 13 year old son, for the better !!!
good luck

Chears for that, time will tell, roll on!!

Walla