Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cultural groups in the UK...

Cultural groups in the UK...

Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cultural groups in the UK...

Which group do migrants miss here the most. ? I'm sitting out on my back verandah, next to my sun room where one of my computers sits, Listening to some good old Reggae. Which got me thinking, over the years, I've really missed the everyday chance encounter with West Indians. Coming from South London, I grew up in an area which was had a slight majority of West Indians over the original local population. At school that was kind of tough, because it meant I would get my dinner money extracted out of me at least 2 days a week, by the much earlier physically developing Jamaicans. I learnt very early, that Jamaicans where far more likely to go for your dosh than Trinidad originating West Indians.

I actually learnt to speak the west indian partois, and have suprised the hell out of the very rare passing west indian that I've encounterd, only to let them know that I originated from Lewisham.

We dont see a lot of West Indians in Aussie, I think thats bloody sad, As they get older and mature, they are some of the greatest people you could ever mix with, and I wish I had some around to share their generous spirit.

Is there an ethnic group that you miss over here ??

(bugger me dead the spell checker is stuffed LOL)
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural groups in the UK...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As they get older and mature, they are some of the greatest people you could ever mix with, and I wish I had some around to share their generous spirit.
shame about the young ones, eh?

There's a fair mix so don't miss anyone. I missed Aussies when I was in the Uk though!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
shame about the young ones, eh?

There's a fair mix so don't miss anyone. I missed Aussies when I was in the Uk though!

Yehp I was hoping to get the message across nicely, despite the Coopers Sparkling haze.

I am very sincere in missing West Indians as a group though.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I miss the general politeness of your anglo-saxon
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Watch it badge your giving me an image of you wearing all your muscles and medals and a shed full of outback cowboys all sounds a bit brokenback mountain to me.

Thats for the comment earlier
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Which group do migrants miss here the most. ? I'm sitting out on my back verandah, next to my sun room where one of my computers sits, Listening to some good old Reggae. Which got me thinking, over the years, I've really missed the everyday chance encounter with West Indians. Coming from South London, I grew up in an area which was had a slight majority of West Indians over the original local population. At school that was kind of tough, because it meant I would get my dinner money extracted out of me at least 2 days a week, by the much earlier physically developing Jamaicans. I learnt very early, that Jamaicans where far more likely to go for your dosh than Trinidad originating West Indians.

I actually learnt to speak the west indian partois, and have suprised the hell out of the very rare passing west indian that I've encounterd, only to let them know that I originated from Lewisham.

We dont see a lot of West Indians in Aussie, I think thats bloody sad, As they get older and mature, they are some of the greatest people you could ever mix with, and I wish I had some around to share their generous spirit.

Is there an ethnic group that you miss over here ??

(bugger me dead the spell checker is stuffed LOL)
I miss their music.

When we were back last month there was a table of granmas sitting in a cafe having a cup of tea and what looked like a right old giggle, they were about 70, among them was a west indian woman wearing the glasses and hat old dears in the UK wear, it was a beautiful sight the way she obviously just fitted in with them , I looked back at them and have to admit I wondered if we would see such a thing here.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by karenjc
I miss the general politeness of your anglo-saxon
Lol, actually my Aussie born and bred daughter, is loving the way she gets treated in the shops in the UK, which surprised the hell out of me.

So maybe you've got a point, it's been such a long while since I've lived there, Hopefully the north/south divide has lessened.

It's stupid I know, but in sarf London, we grew up with the attitude that anything north of watford, was supposed to be crap. It took Just a small time in Aussie to knock that stupid "religious" belief out of me. Maybe it was just the 70's ??
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Watch it badge your giving me an image of you wearing all your muscles and medals and a shed full of outback cowboys all sounds a bit brokenback mountain to me.

Thats for the comment earlier
That was quite a big jump in logic. I daren't go anywhere near that movie in case people point.

B
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That was quite a big jump in logic. I daren't go anywhere near that movie in case people point.

B
I'd love to see that movie, just cause it was so funny when the rural qld politician Bob Katter (probably wrong spelling) donned a cowboy hat, arms crossed over chest and declared "There are no gay cowboys in QLD" absolute scream, sort of only gay in the village moment Then some big gay footballer got all bare chested in the paper and declared, theres plenty of them I should know

Queensland classic moment, its stuff like that you 'dont get' till youve lived in OZ, anyway my family here are all males, there all doing a bob katter and refusing to be seen at a gay movie
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd love to see that movie, just cause it was so funny when the rural qld politician Bob Katter (probably wrong spelling) donned a cowboy hat, arms crossed over chest and declared "There are no gay cowboys in QLD" absolute scream, sort of only gay in the village moment Then some big gay footballer got all bare chested in the paper and declared, theres plenty of them I should know

Queensland classic moment, its stuff like that you 'dont get' till youve lived in OZ, anyway my family here are all males, there all doing a bob katter and refusing to be seen at a gay movie
I thought it was a yankee movie, or at least set in Yankee. Is that what you meant? my wife loves those kind of movies, we're both a fan of arthouse cinema as it happens. I hate Bruce Willisy films.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought it was a yankee movie, or at least set in Yankee. Is that what you meant? my wife loves those kind of movies, we're both a fan of arthouse cinema as it happens. I hate Bruce Willisy films.
It is a yankee movie but in North QLD as you'd know there are still real cowboys on properties, some of the country folk got upset at the insinuation cowboys might be gay, and wanted the movie banned.

Thats when Katter did his "We have no gay cowboys in QLD" thing, didnt want the macho image of our boys tarnished by a movie saying there might be a bit or rollocking in the cow shed

Read this "Gay cowboys about as common as a sheila in a horse ....... "
http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au...5E2765,00.html

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 28th 2006 at 9:50 am.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is a yankee movie but in North QLD as you'd know there are still real cowboys on properties, some of the country folk got upset at the insinuation cowboys might be gay, and wanted the movie banned.

Thats when Katter did his "We have no gay cowboys in QLD" thing, didnt want the macho image of our boys tarnished by a movie saying there might be a bit or rollocking in the cow shed
Yes, that was it.

It really is an "only Gay in the village" thing.

One of the Pom CFA guys introduced that line to everyone in the Brigade.

Shame. If it was Aussie-based, I would have definitely gone. Get some tips an' all.

My wife's hairdresser in Melbourne is as queer as a concrete parachute. He's a hoot by all accounts.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; Jan 28th 2006 at 9:52 am.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 11:31 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in and worked in and around Bristol for a fair while and I know where you're coming from. The Bristol Massive produced some of my all-time favourite choons. That said, I still wouldn't walk through St Pauls at night without armed guards.