Cuckoo in Oz?

Old May 10th 2004, 1:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cuckoo in Oz?

This is a really silly question, but are there cuckoos in Australia?!

I'm sitting here at 11pm, so its dark, and in Brissie you don't get many bird noises at night, but there is a bird outside (at least I assume its a bird!) cuckooing! Just like the British ones!!
I've only had 3 beers tonight, I'm not imagining it, honest. Anyone enlighten me as to what it could be?
Old May 10th 2004, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

An impersonating Drop-bear
Old May 10th 2004, 1:22 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Tina Careful you don't stand under any trees now......
Old May 10th 2004, 1:25 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Cuckoo in Oz?

Originally posted by Pollyana
This is a really silly question, but are there cuckoos in Australia?!

I'm sitting here at 11pm, so its dark, and in Brissie you don't get many bird noises at night, but there is a bird outside (at least I assume its a bird!) cuckooing! Just like the British ones!!
I've only had 3 beers tonight, I'm not imagining it, honest. Anyone enlighten me as to what it could be?
I don't know Poll.........but if it's a British cuckoo......I bloody well hope it got enough DIMIA points to get in like the rest of us mere mortals!

I wonder if it flew via Singapore, Dubai or Hong Kong??

Phoenixik2oz

Old May 10th 2004, 1:28 pm
Home and Happy

By the way, here is the drop bear description I was trying to remember yesterday....

"The Drop Bear, Aprilinis firstus is not really a bear, but a close relative of the Koala, Phascolarctos cinereus. They are not a real danger to human beings, as they are neither poisonous nor are they venomous, but they can deliver a hefty whack to the head. The creatures are quite dopey, are not very graceful, and very cowardly, as any sudden, loud noise will make them lose their grip on a branch and they plummet to the ground. They are heavily furred, and quite well cushioned by fat, so the fall isn’t injurious to them. It’s just any unfortunate person or animal underneath the drop bear can be seriously concussed by several kilograms of free-falling marsupial.

Even though there are no recorded Drop Bear deaths, prevention is better than cure, and you really don’t need a headache when you’re trying to enjoy a bush walk; it is best to avoid aquamarine-flowering gums and to wear a stout hat when strolling through a Drop Bear infestation."
Old May 10th 2004, 1:31 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

By the way, here is the drop bear description I was trying to remember yesterday....

"The Drop Bear, Aprilinis firstus is not really a bear, but a close relative of the Koala, Phascolarctos cinereus. They are not a real danger to human beings, as they are neither poisonous nor are they venomous, but they can deliver a hefty whack to the head. The creatures are quite dopey, are not very graceful, and very cowardly, as any sudden, loud noise will make them lose their grip on a branch and they plummet to the ground. They are heavily furred, and quite well cushioned by fat, so the fall isn’t injurious to them. It’s just any unfortunate person or animal underneath the drop bear can be seriously concussed by several kilograms of free-falling marsupial.

Even though there are no recorded Drop Bear deaths, prevention is better than cure, and you really don’t need a headache when you’re trying to enjoy a bush walk; it is best to avoid aquamarine-flowering gums and to wear a stout hat when strolling through a Drop Bear infestation."

Old May 10th 2004, 1:32 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Aprilinis firstus - subtle.
Old May 10th 2004, 1:35 pm
WBB

are there cuckoos in Australia?!

i think there may be one!

Old May 10th 2004, 1:37 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Poll, form the heading I thought you might have been going 'cuckoo'

several different cuckoo varieties in Oz birds!
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

This is a really silly question, but are there cuckoos in Australia?
Ah, my favourite topic, birdwatching. (Sits back and prepares to go into lecture mode... ok who's that yawning at the back?)

The simple answer is "yes". The complicated answer is "yes, there's the Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo, the Fan-tailed Cuckoo, the Brush Cuckoo, the Oriental Cuckoo, the Pallid Cuckoo, the Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, the Black-eared Cuckoo, Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo, the Little Bronze-Cuckoo, ..." (sorry you asked now aren't you). Alas AFAIK none of them sound like the good old English ones!

However I should say that I know F-all about Aussie birds really (something I hope to rectify when over here permanently). If I find out what it really is then I'll let you know.

Mark
Home and Happy

"i think there may be one!"

Cheeky swine Billy!! I said I've only had 3 beers, takes a lot more than that to start me imagining things!
Old May 10th 2004, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I have printed this out and will give it to my son Kevin, let's see how long it takes him to figure out the joke.
He probably wont figure it out and will take it to school to prove to his friends that they do exist. What a laugh!

I am a great Mum to have
Old May 10th 2004, 1:40 pm
Home and Happy

This is obviously a nocturnal one as its pitch black outside. If I hear it again, I'll go out and have a look round.......:scared:
Old May 10th 2004, 1:42 pm
WBB

This is obviously a nocturnal one as its pitch black outside. If I hear it again, I'll go out and have a look round.......:scared:
if your not back in 5 minutes we will send a search party.

Old May 10th 2004, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

I have printed this out and will give it to my son Kevin,
Ooh you're cruel! First you nag him about doing his homwork on a lovely sunny afternoon, then you send him to school with the drop bear info! Poor old Kevin the Pommy - I'm pleased he;s learnt how to smile though, looks slightly more like a human and less like a teenager!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.