Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Government grant for First Home Buyers

Government grant for First Home Buyers

Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:09 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Government grant for First Home Buyers

I was just perusing a home builder's web-site and came across this:

"Eligible First Home Buyers receive a government grant of up to $12,000 deposit for homes under the value of $500,000."

Can anyone explain this? What's the criteria for eligibility?

- CDM
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:19 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Government grant for First Home Buyers

Actually, I just found the information I was looking for:

http://www.sro.vic.gov.au/sro/SROWeb...bates_fhog.htm
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Interesting, I thought you could only get $7 - 10K or perhaps that was for under $400k? Any comments?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:55 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Interesting, I thought you could only get $7 - 10K or perhaps that was for under $400k? Any comments?
It used to be $7K for all property but a further $3K for property less than $500K.
The $7K comes from Federal, the $3K from state. Hence the difference state to state.

It has now been raised a further $2K but I think it relates to new builds only?

The attached application may still be valid
Attached Files
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:54 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

This sounds almost too good to be true so I'm starting to doubt it.

Do I understand it correctly that I, as a PR (eventually), will be eligible for this money just because I'll be buying a new house for the first time in Australia?

- CDM
Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

Do I understand it correctly that I, as a PR (eventually), will be eligible for this money just because I'll be buying a new house for the first time in Australia?

- CDM
Yes, that's what it means. It's a way to help first time homeowners buy instead of having to rent. It's not just for new houses, but any property so long as you and your partner/spouse have never owned property in Australia
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:20 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
yep we used ours to help offset the stamp duty
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:36 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
yep we used ours to help offset the stamp duty
Exactly! It's a win, win, situation for the government.
They give you the grant but then take it all back plus a little bit more
in bloody stamp duty.

Having said that, I know first time buyers are exempt up to a certain value
but stamp duty is still a bloody rip off...!!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

anyone know how much you can borrow before being exempt? ie a new build of a value of 400k but with only a $200k morgage.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
anyone know how much you can borrow before being exempt? ie a new build of a value of 400k but with only a $200k morgage.
That wont stop you gettng the FHOG, however that budget in melbourne is very low if you want a decent area have you factored int all the extra costs with building, like the price rises of raw materials or the add ons if your going spec home, basically the base price of many wont even include the foundations, let alone any changes/additions from the 'base' (cough cough ) price.