Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CSA/Tax Credits/Child Benefit

CSA/Tax Credits/Child Benefit

Old Jan 8th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of
Red face CSA/Tax Credits/Child Benefit

Hi

I hope someone can help as I can't get a definite answer from these government agencies (what a surprise!!!!).

We are going to Oz on a student visa for 2 years. I would presume that we won't then get tax credits as we won't be working in the UK? Also, presumably the same can be said about child benefits?

With regard to CSA, Andrew is 16 but will still be in full time education in Oz until he is 18. His dad pays me maintenance through an attachment of earnings order which includes arrears. Does anyone know if I can still get this from the CSA or will I just get arrears or nothing?

Sorry if I sound really thick but can't seem to find this information anywhere else.

Thanks very much.

Jo
x
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CSA/Tax Credits/Child Benefit

Originally Posted by jdraper
Hi

I hope someone can help as I can't get a definite answer from these government agencies (what a surprise!!!!).

We are going to Oz on a student visa for 2 years. I would presume that we won't then get tax credits as we won't be working in the UK? Also, presumably the same can be said about child benefits?

With regard to CSA, Andrew is 16 but will still be in full time education in Oz until he is 18. His dad pays me maintenance through an attachment of earnings order which includes arrears. Does anyone know if I can still get this from the CSA or will I just get arrears or nothing?

Sorry if I sound really thick but can't seem to find this information anywhere else.

Thanks very much.

Jo
x
Hi there. If you search here for threads with CSA in them you should find more info - my husband currently pays for his two kids through the CSA and we are leaving in May.

You are right, there is no easy to access info about this, but I think basic line is that the CSA itself cannot do anything. You would have to get a court order in UK then the Aussie courts can help get the money and I guess vice versa? I think its called REMO and thats like an international agreement.

The best thing to do, and hopefully this also works for us, is to have an arangement between yourselves instead of involving courts etc.

If you can't find the previous threads then let me know and I'll try to forward the one I started