Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crystal Bay (Gold Coast) Apartment Review

Crystal Bay (Gold Coast) Apartment Review

Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Crystal Bay (Gold Coast) Apartment Review

WARNING! ...... long post!

This is only worth reading if you are interested in renting a 2 bedroom apartment at Crystal Bay on The Gold Coast!

Ok, as some of you will know myself, partner, and 2 teenage kids have just returned from 3 weeks in Oz. We stayed at Claire's (Jonah's_Mummy) mums apartment in Labrador on The Gold Coast http://www.crystalbay.com.au/ and before we went, a couple of people PM'd me and asked for a review when I got back.

I've since deleted their PM's, and don't recall who it was so will post it here.

Ok, the building from the outside looks like this:

The apartment is on the 7th floor out of 13 (100 apartments in total), plenty of height for the terrific views! The building is maned on reception from 8.30am - 5pm Mon - Fri, and shuts at 4pm on Sat and 1pm on Sunday. There is underground parking which has a remote control automatic gate which you open via the electronic keytag you have with your key (given 2 sets!) From the basement you can access the lift to your floor.

Security wise the apartment is VERY secure. Not that I ever felt it was needed, but all the same it was reassuring. I asked at reception about hiring a safety deposit box upon arrival, but was told they didn't have them as they simply ain't needed!

The same keyfob you use to access the lift from the basement allows you to access ground floor, + YOUR floor only! You cannot get to another floor without an invite, so to put it. After the reception shuts, you can only access the building either with a keyfob, or via the intercom to one of the rooms, where you can open the front door via the intercom in the room.

There is an internet kiosk downstairs, but to be honest the Internet Cafe round the corner was better, and cheaper!

Apartment is Air Conditioned! ... and altho it's Winter there, it did get used, but very occasionally. Def a Summer thing I'm sure.

There is a phone in the room, which you can give the number to freinds / acquaintances and they can call direct missing out the reception!

The apartment has a lounge / kitchen (open plan), 2 bedrooms, and a bathroom which links the two bedroom. You get into the bathroom via ANY of the bedrooms, but from bedroom 1 you can lock the door! ... ...lol

Sorry, didn't get many pics of the inside.

The kitchen:

Kitchen is fully equipped with quality (Bosch) appliances inc fridge / freezer, microwave, fan assisted oven, washing machine, drier, dishwasher .... EVERYTHING! ... even an iron!

Bedrooms:

These are decent sized and we had a double in bedroom 1, and 2 singles in bedroom 2. The original plan was for one the singles to go into the lounge, and the kids was gonna alternate nights, but to be honest they was too tired to be bothered by the end of the days and we left them in the same room.

The Lounge:

The lounge has a 21" TV with Foxtel cable. I think the package is only a basic one, but there was a couple of music channels (inc MTV), Discovery, etc. To be honest we didn't watch much, but the kids HAD to have their 'music channels' ...lol. There was a news channel that we did watch quite a lot, but bout it really.

The Pool:

Pool was heated and the spa is lovely (really hot!) and you can use till 8.30pm. only prob we had was altho the warning round the pool said kids need to be over 14 to be there unsupervised, the ppl working there said 16, so we couldn't leave ours there without us, but must admit they sneaked a lil half hour here and there on their own ...lol.

As it is Winter now, altho the apartments were fully booked for most of the duration (all sorts inc Aussies from Sydney, Melbourne etc) the pool was pretty much all ours when we wanted it ...lol. At worst, there would be 3 - 5 others in it! ...lol. They said it was too cold to go into a pool for Aussies, but hey, the pool IS heated! ...lol

Location we thought was excellent. You are on the border of Southport & Labrador, 5 mins drive to Surfers (3 mins with all green lights ...lol), 5 mins to Sea World (via The Spit), 15 - 20 mins to Dreamworld, MovieWorld & Wet & Wild. It'll also take you 15 - 20 mins to get to the likes of Helensvale, Pacific Pines etc.

Within 5 mins WALK, there is a McDonald's & Kentucky (if your thing), a REAL good Gold Coast Steak restaurant (Cav's ... yum!), a Bottle Shop, Internet Cafe, Grocery Store etc etc. There is also a Greek, Italian, and Chinese which we didn't try, but have been told they are decent!

Crystal Bay is run by John & Sue who are Expats from East London. They are BOTH lovely! We had quite a few good chats with both and they was very keen to help in any way. We learned a lot about Upper Coomera State School from Sue.

While we stayed there we had only the one problem, the hot water died on about day 2. Now because this was out of hours, we phoned the 'out of hours' phone number in the book ,and got thru to the Emergency Team! .... fat lot of good! ...lol, as we got the 'ahhh, she'll be alright! ... No Worries!' attitude ...lol, but this I hear is the norm, and will have to get used to it!

Anyway, the next morning John was straight up and fixed the problem in minutes (he's a plumber/gas man I think, but knew what he was doin for sure!)

NO other problems while we was there! ...... nothing!

Crystal Bay sits on Marine Parade which overlooks the Broadwater:

From the balcony you get lovely views all day and will see the odd Jet Ski, boat, glider thingeys etc etc pass by. Sea World can be seen from the balcony, and if you swing your head round the corner you can see the Versace Hotel.

Literally across the road before the water there is a strip of green which holds a few kids parks, a BBQ (gas and FREE!), and a long path along which ppl would often be seen simply strolling down either on their own, or walking the dog!

I'm trying to think what else is relevant, but mind has gone blank! ...lol. Basically to finish off, we all had a really lovely holiday in Oz. The apartment fit's straight into the bill of 'lovely' which we've said about EVERYTHING in Oz (ok, not the drivers! ...lol), I REALLY can't fault the place!

If your interested at all in Crystal Bay, but have other questions, either I or Claire (Jonah's_Mummy) will certainly help all we can to answer them.

ALTHO!! .... fire anything my way via here or PM me as I think Claire's a tad busy now ...lol

If I remember anything relevant I'll add, but as I type that's about it!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:41 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crystal Bay (Gold Coast) Apartment Review

Originally Posted by Jim2004
WARNING! ...... long post!

This is only worth reading if you are interested in renting a 2 bedroom apartment at Crystal Bay on The Gold Coast!

Ok, as some of you will know myself, partner, and 2 teenage kids have just returned from 3 weeks in Oz. We stayed at Claire's (Jonah's_Mummy) mums apartment in Labrador on The Gold Coast http://www.crystalbay.com.au/ and before we went, a couple of people PM'd me and asked for a review when I got back.

I've since deleted their PM's, and don't recall who it was so will post it here.

Ok, the building from the outside looks like this:

The apartment is on the 7th floor out of 13 (100 apartments in total), plenty of height for the terrific views! The building is maned on reception from 8.30am - 5pm Mon - Fri, and shuts at 4pm on Sat and 1pm on Sunday. There is underground parking which has a remote control automatic gate which you open via the electronic keytag you have with your key (given 2 sets!) From the basement you can access the lift to your floor.

Security wise the apartment is VERY secure. Not that I ever felt it was needed, but all the same it was reassuring. I asked at reception about hiring a safety deposit box upon arrival, but was told they didn't have them as they simply ain't needed!

The same keyfob you use to access the lift from the basement allows you to access ground floor, + YOUR floor only! You cannot get to another floor without an invite, so to put it. After the reception shuts, you can only access the building either with a keyfob, or via the intercom to one of the rooms, where you can open the front door via the intercom in the room.

There is an internet kiosk downstairs, but to be honest the Internet Cafe round the corner was better, and cheaper!

Apartment is Air Conditioned! ... and altho it's Winter there, it did get used, but very occasionally. Def a Summer thing I'm sure.

There is a phone in the room, which you can give the number to freinds / acquaintances and they can call direct missing out the reception!

The apartment has a lounge / kitchen (open plan), 2 bedrooms, and a bathroom which links the two bedroom. You get into the bathroom via ANY of the bedrooms, but from bedroom 1 you can lock the door! ... ...lol

Sorry, didn't get many pics of the inside.

The kitchen:

Kitchen is fully equipped with quality (Bosch) appliances inc fridge / freezer, microwave, fan assisted oven, washing machine, drier, dishwasher .... EVERYTHING! ... even an iron!

Bedrooms:

These are decent sized and we had a double in bedroom 1, and 2 singles in bedroom 2. The original plan was for one the singles to go into the lounge, and the kids was gonna alternate nights, but to be honest they was too tired to be bothered by the end of the days and we left them in the same room.

The Lounge:

The lounge has a 21" TV with Foxtel cable. I think the package is only a basic one, but there was a couple of music channels (inc MTV), Discovery, etc. To be honest we didn't watch much, but the kids HAD to have their 'music channels' ...lol. There was a news channel that we did watch quite a lot, but bout it really.

The Pool:

Pool was heated and the spa is lovely (really hot!) and you can use till 8.30pm. only prob we had was altho the warning round the pool said kids need to be over 14 to be there unsupervised, the ppl working there said 16, so we couldn't leave ours there without us, but must admit they sneaked a lil half hour here and there on their own ...lol.

As it is Winter now, altho the apartments were fully booked for most of the duration (all sorts inc Aussies from Sydney, Melbourne etc) the pool was pretty much all ours when we wanted it ...lol. At worst, there would be 3 - 5 others in it! ...lol. They said it was too cold to go into a pool for Aussies, but hey, the pool IS heated! ...lol

Location we thought was excellent. You are on the border of Southport & Labrador, 5 mins drive to Surfers (3 mins with all green lights ...lol), 5 mins to Sea World (via The Spit), 15 - 20 mins to Dreamworld, MovieWorld & Wet & Wild. It'll also take you 15 - 20 mins to get to the likes of Helensvale, Pacific Pines etc.

Within 5 mins WALK, there is a McDonald's & Kentucky (if your thing), a REAL good Gold Coast Steak restaurant (Cav's ... yum!), a Bottle Shop, Internet Cafe, Grocery Store etc etc. There is also a Greek, Italian, and Chinese which we didn't try, but have been told they are decent!

Crystal Bay is run by John & Sue who are Expats from East London. They are BOTH lovely! We had quite a few good chats with both and they was very keen to help in any way. We learned a lot about Upper Coomera State School from Sue.

While we stayed there we had only the one problem, the hot water died on about day 2. Now because this was out of hours, we phoned the 'out of hours' phone number in the book ,and got thru to the Emergency Team! .... fat lot of good! ...lol, as we got the 'ahhh, she'll be alright! ... No Worries!' attitude ...lol, but this I hear is the norm, and will have to get used to it!

Anyway, the next morning John was straight up and fixed the problem in minutes (he's a plumber/gas man I think, but knew what he was doin for sure!)

NO other problems while we was there! ...... nothing!

Crystal Bay sits on Marine Parade which overlooks the Broadwater:

From the balcony you get lovely views all day and will see the odd Jet Ski, boat, glider thingeys etc etc pass by. Sea World can be seen from the balcony, and if you swing your head round the corner you can see the Versace Hotel.

Literally across the road before the water there is a strip of green which holds a few kids parks, a BBQ (gas and FREE!), and a long path along which ppl would often be seen simply strolling down either on their own, or walking the dog!

I'm trying to think what else is relevant, but mind has gone blank! ...lol. Basically to finish off, we all had a really lovely holiday in Oz. The apartment fit's straight into the bill of 'lovely' which we've said about EVERYTHING in Oz (ok, not the drivers! ...lol), I REALLY can't fault the place!

If your interested at all in Crystal Bay, but have other questions, either I or Claire (Jonah's_Mummy) will certainly help all we can to answer them.

ALTHO!! .... fire anything my way via here or PM me as I think Claire's a tad busy now ...lol

If I remember anything relevant I'll add, but as I type that's about it!
Thank you.......an excellent post as usual.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:19 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
You must be telepathic !
We stayed here in March for 3 weeks it was fantastic I e-mailed Sue and John today to see if we could start off there when we go next year. It was lovely and quiet and so clean. Sue and John were really helpful cos we asked loads of questions I can definately vouch for you
Jane x
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:21 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

I'm gonna this now and then for a day or so in the hope the ppl who asked for it, get to see it! ...

Can't do more than that, I can't remember who they was
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:24 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

well done jim, a great thread, just what people need before moving
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soapy
well done jim, a great thread, just what people need before moving
cheers, altho as I said there was a few ppl who got in touch and asked for a review knowing I was goin there. Just a pitty as I cleared out my PM folders before we went and I forgot to make a note of the ppl who had asked
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:31 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

cheers, altho as I said there was a few ppl who got in touch and asked for a review knowing I was goin there. Just a pitty as I cleared out my PM folders before we went and I forgot to make a note of the ppl who had asked
if like the rest of us they search for threads like this, they will find it. we stayed in a shithole when we got here so didnt see a need to post photos, but yours looks magic and a great way to show people where they can live when they arrive
i meant to add jim, what about costs

Last edited by soapy©; Aug 15th 2005 at 10:33 am.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:39 am
Account Closed

if like the rest of us they search for threads like this, they will find it. we stayed in a shithole when we got here so didnt see a need to post photos, but yours looks magic and a great way to show people where they can live when they arrive
i meant to add jim, what about costs
Costs can be arranged thru 'Jonah's_mummy' on BE. It's her mums apartment so it makes sense to go thru her
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:44 am
Master of verbal pish©

Costs can be arranged thru 'Jonah's_mummy' on BE. It's her mums apartment so it makes sense to go thru her
yeh i got that bit jim, but was there other apartments that u could have asked prices?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:25 am
Account Closed

yeh i got that bit jim, but was there other apartments that u could have asked prices?
You can get prices from the Crystal Bay website, but I'm sure if your nice to Claire, she might be able to get you a better price! ...

It's not for me to say tho, you appreciate that.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:28 am
Master of verbal pish©

You can get prices from the Crystal Bay website, but I'm sure if your nice to Claire, she might be able to get you a better price! ...

It's not for me to say tho, you appreciate that.
yeh i understand mate, i just thought u had went to all the trouble with the thread a price would have finished it off
we wont need it we will be living with friends i was just asking for others mate. still a brill thread
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:32 am
Account Closed

yeh i understand mate, i just thought u had went to all the trouble with the thread a price would have finished it off
we wont need it we will be living with friends i was just asking for others mate. still a brill thread
Yeah I hear you. The prices as I say are on the website, and altho I didn't pay those prices, I didn't feel it would be fair to post what I paid.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:42 am
Professional Princess

Yeah I hear you. The prices as I say are on the website, and altho I didn't pay those prices, I didn't feel it would be fair to post what I paid.

Jim, did you get the college thingy sorted? Been thinking about you.
What are your plans now?

Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Pro Princess is back.

Did you enjoy your break away from BE?
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:55 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Ah Pro Princess is back.

Did you enjoy your break away from BE?
Certainly did.

Go to photopost to see the pissed up piccies of the manchester meet.

I think the cider was poisoned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.