Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cruises from Australia?

Cruises from Australia?

Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:46 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cruises from Australia?

Has anyone here taken a cruise from/to Australia on any of the major operators?

I recently took a 1-way cruise from Singapore to Sydney (Nov 25 - Dec 8) as I needed to head down for Christmas in Cronulla anyway, and it sure beats flying.

Any cruise regulars here? Am thinking of giving last-minute offers out of Brisbane a look in the near future - would be great to run into some fellow forum posters on the same ship.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cruises from Australia?

I haven't cruised from oz, though i used to be a cruise agent in the UK. There is a great website for all things cruising including a good forum called cruise critic.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera

I recently took a 1-way cruise from Singapore to Sydney (Nov 25 - Dec 8) as I needed to head down for Christmas in Cronulla anyway, and it sure beats flying.

Any cruise regulars here? Am thinking of giving last-minute offers out of Brisbane a look in the near future - would be great to run into some fellow forum posters on the same ship.
How much did that cost?
Old Feb 6th 2015, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Taken a few from Australia including to UK. Booked others in Australia but departing from Venice to South Africa and Thailand to South Africa.

Beats flying and great if not in a hurry. Also have fleeting visits to countries most likely never go to in the usual pattern of things.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Done a 2 week return voyage with Princess Cruises from Brisbane around New Zealand a couple of years back ( first one ) and couldn't fault a thing.Even the drinks were cheaper best part of the time against those in the city itself Always thought /heard that these cruises were for the elderly but times had obviously changed and plenty of "younger folk " on board ours .Just gotta get round to doing the next one now, (maybe the Pacific Islands ) but definitely on the bucket list is a trip down via ship to Melbourne incorporating Melbourne Cup in the next couple of years, that you can get your money on !
Old Feb 7th 2015, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

We're hoping to do one next January. Will drive up to Sydney and do a pacific cruise from there. Have a few friends who love them. They use Carnival Cruises and P&O Cruises. As long as they have a great kids club so the little miss is occupied we'll be happy � ����
Old Feb 7th 2015, 4:19 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
How much did that cost?
Cost us 7k AUD, but that was the total price including the onboard gratuities (genrerally something like 12 USD/daily x 4 in our case), as well as 2x drinks packages that came close to a grand as well.

Plus this was a mini-suite, whereas other cabins would have been much cheaper, from balcony rooms to outside cabins or interior ones.

Certainly don't expect to spend 7k on our next cruise as we generally don't spend much time in our cabins apart from retiring for the night...
Old Feb 7th 2015, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Cost us 7k AUD, but that was the total price including the onboard gratuities (genrerally something like 12 USD/daily x 4 in our case), as well as 2x drinks packages that came close to a grand as well.

Plus this was a mini-suite, whereas other cabins would have been much cheaper, from balcony rooms to outside cabins or interior ones.

Certainly don't expect to spend 7k on our next cruise as we generally don't spend much time in our cabins apart from retiring for the night...
It is often a good idea to consider the more expensive lines for this reason. Many of them include all drinks, gratuities, excursions and their standard restaurants are at the level of other lines speciality restaurants and their speciality restaurants are very special.

Some also do very special treats. I know one of the small ships some years ago whisked everyone to the coliseum in Rome for a private performance by the four tenors. With dinner with them afterwards.

A number also offer some very good educational / speciality cruises that have world renowned naturalists or historians on board to accompany you on excursions.

One of my favourite lines is Crystal.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:40 am
Just Joined

LeonV is an unknown quantity at this point

Late last year, we had a work conference on a ship which just went out from Sydney for 3 days and came back. It was the Celebrity Solstice. As it was my first time on a cruise, I was blown away when I got into the lift and saw fifteen floors!

Anyway amazing ship, everything in it was in great condition and the service was fantastic. Not sure cruises are for me though, I felt like I was in a huge hotel I couldn't escape from. Probably three days out in the ocean with nothing to see was a contributory factor. I love the idea of the Mediterranean cruises where you wake up in a different port every morning.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome. Thank you. Sounds like a great way to travel.