Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cruise ship schedules - Sydney

Cruise ship schedules - Sydney

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cruise ship schedules - Sydney

Totally alien territory to me, I need some advice to help me make a decision.

Situation is my mum has a penfriend in the USA, has been writing to her on and off since schooldays in WW2. They have met twice, my sister says they are a lovely couple (she met them when they came to the UK a few years back). Mum suddenly thrust a cruise ship itinerary at me yesterday and said "Doris is coming to Sydney, you need to go and meet her". So I try to explain that Brisbane isn't Sydney - but as my mum thought I could drive to Darwin for an afternoon with another of her penfriends, I know she doesn't quite get Aussie distances.
Her friend is supposed to dock in Sydney 6am on December 6th, and leave again after breakfast December 8th to fly direct to New York. I know they'd like to meet me, and mum would be happy if I went down there, but I don't want to shell out on flights and a hotel, plus two days leave, if they aren't likely to show up due to delays etc.

So what I'm after, in a nutshell, is - how reliable are cruise itineraries? if it is likely to be a case of the ship being delayed, or them disembarking and getting straight on the plane etc it could cost me a fair bit for nothing. And on these ships do they have internet/phones etc? I know that sounds daft and I'm guessing they do, but I've never been on one so have no idea how good communication is with the shore - feel free to take the mickey at my ignorance!! Is there a website where I could check for Sydney what cruise ships are due in when? I had one for Brisbane when work were monitoring arrivals for swine flu, so I'm sure there must be one for Sydney.

Any words of wisdom from anyone?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:40 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cruise ship schedules - Sydney

Yes there is a schedule - I learned this the hard way after we once went to the #1 restaurant in Sydney and had a wonderful view of the side of a ship instead of the Opera House (To be fair, the restaurant does warn you when you book, but we were only visiting and didn't realise just how close the damn ship would be.)

How reliable is it? Well I guess things happen, you for one know how weather is!

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_o...ruise_schedule

It should tell you where it will dock (some go to the OPT, some go under the bridge and into Barangaroo - and the new superships will have to go somewhere else I believe). The website for the cruise operator should also have details.

Yes they have comms on the boats - we email the in-laws when they are on their frequent cruises. I know Celebrity has internet PCs and DiL is taking a netbook next time too. We'll be meeting them off their next one in Sydney on Jan 18
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:46 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Yes there is a schedule - I learned this the hard way after we once went to the #1 restaurant in Sydney and had a wonderful view of the side of a ship instead of the Opera House (To be fair, the restaurant does warn you when you book, but we were only visiting and didn't realise just how close the damn ship would be.)

How reliable is it? Well I guess things happen, you for one know how weather is!

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_o...ruise_schedule

It should tell you where it will dock (some go to the OPT, some go under the bridge and into Barangaroo - and the new superships will have to go somewhere else I believe). The website for the cruise operator should also have details.

Yes they have comms on the boats - we email the in-laws when they are on their frequent cruises. I know Celebrity has internet PCs and DiL is taking a netbook next time too. We'll be meeting them off their next one in Sydney on Jan 18
Yeah I know I can't control weather delays but knowing that a schedule is usually pretty reliable would be good - eg if one should always expect a ship to be a day late or something like that!
This ship is called the Volendam (I think) and its Holland America Line so I'll have a better look in the morning at your link and see what I can find for it. I guess at least if there is email on board they can get in touch - though I understand they are not very computer-savvy....an email at Christmas is about their limit
Thanks for the info
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

OK it looks to me like the Volendam docks in Sydney on FIFTH December at 6am. Leaves Auckland on 21 Nov.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-c...ineraryDetails

I would expect it takes a lot to put them off schedule, and looking at that itinerary I would think you'd definitely know a few days in advance, as they are due to dock at both Tas and Melbourne before Sydney. It's not like it's crossing the Atlantic.

I'm sure there will be people eager and willing to help them send an email
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We've done a couple of cruises this year - they keep time to the minute: the berths are booked years in advance, and they provision with fresh food and frozen food so can't be off schedule.

Icebergs excepted....
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:36 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Wol
We've done a couple of cruises this year - they keep time to the minute: the berths are booked years in advance, and they provision with fresh food and frozen food so can't be off schedule.

Icebergs excepted....
Sounds good, thanks

OK it looks to me like the Volendam docks in Sydney on FIFTH December at 6am. Leaves Auckland on 21 Nov.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-c...ineraryDetails

I would expect it takes a lot to put them off schedule, and looking at that itinerary I would think you'd definitely know a few days in advance, as they are due to dock at both Tas and Melbourne before Sydney. It's not like it's crossing the Atlantic.

I'm sure there will be people eager and willing to help them send an email
The itinerary I've got from my mum has got the dates written on in pen, so its just as well I'm checking isn't it I've got their email address now at home in the US so I might email direct before they leave and try and sort out the dates etc. Sounds like the schedules are pretty much tied in so I might be able to risk booking some cheap flights and try and find a hotel that won't break the bank - they are in somewhere 5 star quoting from $250 a night, think I'll pass on that
Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ian.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really nice

Just met up with an English Cruise couple and the Volendam was at the dock on circular Quay and left bang on time , Most cruise lines use the Shangri La 5 star hotel on The Rocks but as Wynyard Station and Circular Quay station are 5 minutes walk from the hotel just make sure you book a cheap and cheerful place near to one of sydneys railway stations change at Central and off to Wynyard / Circular Quay Easy Peasy Hope you have a good time
Ian
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:12 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Ian.C.Williams
Just met up with an English Cruise couple and the Volendam was at the dock on circular Quay and left bang on time , Most cruise lines use the Shangri La 5 star hotel on The Rocks but as Wynyard Station and Circular Quay station are 5 minutes walk from the hotel just make sure you book a cheap and cheerful place near to one of sydneys railway stations change at Central and off to Wynyard / Circular Quay Easy Peasy Hope you have a good time
Ian
They are using the Sofitel apparently. Useful info re the stations, thats really helpful - thanks
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

OxOz will become famous soon enough

I have stayed at the Travelodge Wynyard in York Street and thought it was really reasonably priced for the location
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:11 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by OxOz
I have stayed at the Travelodge Wynyard in York Street and thought it was really reasonably priced for the location
Cheers, I'll give it a look
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:35 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely docks St Circular Quay? Some dock elsewhere. QM2 has to use naval base as it won't fit anywhere else.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:49 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by IvanM
Definitely docks St Circular Quay? Some dock elsewhere. QM2 has to use naval base as it won't fit anywhere else.
Looks like its Circular Quay, judging by their website; not actually on this itinerary I've got. I'll try and get in touch with them when I'm back in Aus next week and see what I can work out.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 11:58 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by IvanM
I did say that above. If it's not on the ports schedule yet, nearer the time it should tell you where it docks. They're not a million miles apart anyway, it shouldn't affect Polly's choice of hotel. Pol, don't let train stations dictate where you stay - there are tons of buses around the CBD, including a free city circle that actually goes down to Circular Quay.

The Sofitel's in the middle of the CBD, towards the Quay, I think.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 12:32 pm
Home and Happy

I did say that above. If it's not on the ports schedule yet, nearer the time it should tell you where it docks. They're not a million miles apart anyway, it shouldn't affect Polly's choice of hotel. Pol, don't let train stations dictate where you stay - there are tons of buses around the CBD, including a free city circle that actually goes down to Circular Quay.

The Sofitel's in the middle of the CBD, towards the Quay, I think.
OK, sounds easy enough then, I can just look for a cheapy one somewhere and get buses or trains then from wherever