Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CROWN are booked solid for months!!!!!

CROWN are booked solid for months!!!!!

Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Andy Buckle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CROWN are booked solid for months!!!!!

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
WE were having problems with Crown too although the lady in the office Lisa is very good!
WE were waiting for a man to come and do a house quotation and on the phone he said it would cost crown£150 to come out to do the quote and we didnt have enough stuff to take to warrant him coming all the way from Nottingham!!
I have been to Nottingham it isnt that far to be honest and when I spoke to the lady in the office she said it was nonesense what he had claimed. I think Crown are being let down by a few people to be honest. I have heard very good reviews but I am still waiting to hear if they are coming to quote for our shipment.
I have a 2 bed house to move surely that is enough stuff??
Would appreciate it if Andy could help?
Hello Ozzie Nurse. I have spoken to our local office in Birmingham and understand that any problem/confusion there may have been is resolved and a survey appointment is arranged for next week.

Kind regards
Andrew Buckle
Branch Manager - Northern England
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Wait to you hear this one - I booked Simpsons removals, and guess who turned up - CROWN!!!! Simpsons had sub-contracted the work......

It gets better - I could have got my price cheaper from Crown - AND they said I'd overpacked - and sent me another bill for a whopping £1,000 for excess - BEWARE!!

The best of it is - the guys from Crown on the day said I was within limit.

Arghh...

Laura
What do they mean by overpacked? Surely the container is a fixed size (i.e. 32m3 for a 20ft) so the stuff either fits or it doesn't. Unless they meant too much weight, but I'd be surprised if you could exceed the weight limit unless you were pandering to your brick fetish!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

jondon is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Crown for our move to Sydney in October - they were very good. We bargained with them and they came down on price and insurance to match other quotes.

We only had a small load but treated us very professionally. Packed very efficiently. Said stuff would take 6 weeks - got to Syndey in 4 weeks. They stored our stuff until we needed it in January (we had a long 3 months travelling

On unpacking everything was great. The only broken stuff was one chipped cup (done on packing in London) and a broken picture frame. We claimed under pairs and set for the cup and got money for picture within a matter of days from claim going in.

My only small gripe was the fact that Crown Aus didn't communicate that well with Crown UK - they had different prices for what we had been quoted. But after they rang / e-mailed the UK all was sorted and I paid exactly what had been agreed.

Considering it went 10,000 miles very happy. But to honest they all seemed very good (Crown, DB and John Masons). You're likely to have just as good an experience with the others (or bad - it's just the luck of the draw). Mind you, there would be others that I def would not use!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jondon
We used Crown for our move to Sydney in October - they were very good. We bargained with them and they came down on price and insurance to match other quotes.

We only had a small load but treated us very professionally. Packed very efficiently. Said stuff would take 6 weeks - got to Syndey in 4 weeks. They stored our stuff until we needed it in January (we had a long 3 months travelling

On unpacking everything was great. The only broken stuff was one chipped cup (done on packing in London) and a broken picture frame. We claimed under pairs and set for the cup and got money for picture within a matter of days from claim going in.

My only small gripe was the fact that Crown Aus didn't communicate that well with Crown UK - they had different prices for what we had been quoted. But after they rang / e-mailed the UK all was sorted and I paid exactly what had been agreed.

Considering it went 10,000 miles very happy. But to honest they all seemed very good (Crown, DB and John Masons). You're likely to have just as good an experience with the others (or bad - it's just the luck of the draw). Mind you, there would be others that I def would not use!
Did they charge extra for the storage, and can they be flexible about how long you leave it there?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

We got one month's storage free. And 2 months storage insurance included in the price . They matched this as the others - DB and John Mason's - offered it.

Overall, I think we only paid for one month's storage in the end. Make sure you bargain hard with any of the movers - better your pocket than theirs
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Oh forgot to say - they are really flexible with how long you leave it there. We didn't know when we'd exactly get to Syd and didn't have an address there. Mind you we did have an Aussie address at my girlfriend's parents in Perth, so that helped (but even if you don't have an address in Aus they will be able to sort it for you - they just wanted an address for all the customs forms). But if you can pay they have no problem with storing the stuff for you.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jondon
Oh forgot to say - they are really flexible with how long you leave it there. We didn't know when we'd exactly get to Syd and didn't have an address there. Mind you we did have an Aussie address at my girlfriend's parents in Perth, so that helped (but even if you don't have an address in Aus they will be able to sort it for you - they just wanted an address for all the customs forms). But if you can pay they have no problem with storing the stuff for you.
May I be impertinent and ask how much they charged per extra month? Was this for a 20' or a 40'?
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Sorry I really can't remember (but it's def cheaper to store here in Aus than it would be to store in UK and ship out later). But it is based on cubic footage...We only had about 250cuft - my place is rented out fully furnished in London so we only shipped personal stuff, clothes, CDs, TVs etc. However, the insurance can be pricey...it is a percentage of the total value. Make sure you get as much of that stuff as possible free - all offered the 1 month storage and the 60 day insurance free.