Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cross with the school

Cross with the school

Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cross with the school

Originally Posted by Aussie30
Oh right, so you are allowed to make sweeping statements about an entire country after living there for 3 years!? Does that mean after 12 months in the UK I can also make sweeping statements about people there? After living in the UK for 12 months I could not believe how rude and uncaring people there could be, I look forward to going back to Australia where people actually say hello and smile at you at the supermarket, instead of walking around with a flippin' scowl on your face!
Australians are known around the world for their friendly, caring attitude, we have much more of a willingness to help others, compared to the 'shut your doors and don't get involved' mentality of the EU
. I don't understand why you are living in Australia if you think everyone there is uncaring and selfish??
Personally I think you need to be careful yourself - the majority of your post above is such a sweeping statement about Australia that my broom is having hysterics trying to sweep it out of the way!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merleoberon
while I agree that over pampering kids and wrapping them in cotton wool is not a good idea, i also would point out that I wouldnt have thought the OP would be posting a thread such as this on BExpats if she wasnt worried by the extent of the injury? dropping a table on a toe could actually be quite dangerous I would think?? I have seen people need their toe nail removed after such an injury
From a non-parent point of view, I would expect a phone call to be made if a table was dropped on a child's toe, likewise if a child had their hair cut off. Neither of those are ordinary incidents, not like just banging a finger with a book or getting a bruise on a leg.
I gather that there are guidelines in the UK as to when a parent needs ot be informed. Is the same not true in Aus)? (and thats a genuine question, I really don't know, but would be interested to find out)
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:38 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Personally I think you need to be careful yourself - the majority of your post above is such a sweeping statement about Australia that my broom is having hysterics trying to sweep it out of the way!
Yes, I think you probably missed the point I was trying to make, eg: How easy it is to make sweeping statements about entire countires.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

For what it's worth after 20+ years in Australia and 10+ in the UK I believe Australians in general to be more individualistic and care less about their neighbours and community than people in the UK.

In response to the OP I agree, it's disgusting that the school didn't notify you. A parent has a right to know and if they so choose they have the right to "mollycoddle" their child - it's not up to the school!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Grayling
What a stupid statement

I have found this place to be far more Health and safety obsessed than any place I worked in the UK.

You haven't worked in Australia have you?...if you had you would know.

Stupid? I think not. Valid statement about the super obsessed UK and how the government intervenes in your personal life at every oppourtunity!

Oz has red tape and H&S that I know. You don't need to have worked in Australia to know this. The visa process was enough to confirm that! I remember when I was in school. Common sense played a big part in everything. Here however, it's only because they are afraid that you will sue that they take H&S etc to the enth degree.

I do not for one minute believe that Australia has a worse "sue culture" than the UK or America.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick

I do not for one minute believe that Australia has a worse "sue culture" than the UK or America.
IMO Australia is more litigious than the UK, but not the USA.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Astronaut is an unknown quantity at this point

OP. I would get your childs toe looked at by a doctor if as you say the nail is black and lifting off on one side. The reason is that if an infection did occur as a result of this accident you would have evidence from a health professional of the status of the injury at this time.

I'm not suggesting that you're going to complain or take things further, accidents happen and we brush them off, but in the event of a related heath matter in the future you would be better off with evidence recorded now.

I too would speak to the school to ensure they have recorded the incident and explain your concern that the incident should have been reported to you on the day.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Here however, it's only because they are afraid that you will sue that they take H&S etc to the enth degree.
Not just here, everywhere.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Some very interesting responses to this!

1) Contact the school to ask if they'd tried contacting you? They may have but not got through? If they hadn't, make sure they understand that you wish to be contacted if an injury occurs in future.

2) If your child was coping with the injury then they may have dealt with in a more relaxed manner?

It is common practice for my sons school to use them to move furniture, as another poster said - they quite enjoy it!

I've been rung to collect my eldest a couple of times but generally only when quite distressed and unable to concentrate etc

I then get notes in homework diaries about normal day to day injuries, my youngest had 3 last week and by Thursday I did have to ask when he walked in the door how he'd got hurt that day! (No injuries since, thank goodness)

But then all said and done it's a lot to do with background and areas of importance ... we live on a farm, I've two outside 100% boys and think they cope with most things ... falling out of trees, riding feral goats - you name it - I do put some responsibility on my children, as young as they are, to tell me [on another adult] if they are in pain or not sure about something - that's when the adult makes the choice to then seek medical help!

Hope the toes ok in the morning, god I know how much a stubbed toe is! (And I lose toe nails all the time playing hockey!)
Old Dec 11th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Aussie30;8161881]Oh right, so you are allowed to make sweeping statements about an entire country after living there for 3 years!? Does that mean after 12 months in the UK I can also make sweeping statements about people there? After living in the UK for 12 months I could not believe how rude and uncaring people there could be, I look forward to going back to Australia where people actually say hello and smile at you at the supermarket, instead of walking around with a flippin' scowl on your face!
Australians are known around the world for their friendly, caring attitude, we have much more of a willingness to help others, compared to the 'shut your doors and don't get involved' mentality of the EU. I don't understand why you are living in Australia if you think everyone there is uncaring and selfish??[/QUOTE]

35 days more and I won't be. I'll be back amongst my scowling folk, slamming my door on my neighbours faces and ignoring everyone.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 9:01 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
My son has come home from school today with a bad injury to his big toe. Him and some other children were carrying tables and one fell on his foot, his nail is totally black and has lifted off on the side. It has been bleeding since he did it at 2pm, not really badly but when he walks on it it bleeds. He was seen by a first-aider at school who told him his nail would probably come off, I have to agree with them there. It is not broken as he has great movement in it and he says he is in no pain unless someone touches it. Now I know from teaching in the UK that if a child had an injury such as this the school would phone to let us know and they would probably be sent home. No-one contacted us, my son got the bus to my husbands school and told us about it then, surely the school should have let us know. :curse::curse:
My son's head was stood on in class in the uk I never got a phone!
My son told me before going to bed that night!

It's everywhere not just abroad the uk is probably worse!

Carol
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:28 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

Tried to phone the head yesterday but could not get through so I e-mailed her instead. Heard nothing yet and probably won't now as they broke up from school yesterady for 8 weeks!! Will send e-mail reminder first day back!!