Croc Hunter

Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:59 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Croc Hunter

Just watched Steve Irwin on tv - the guy is completely bonkers!!! I can`t criticise his enthusiasm and nerve though, don`t think you`d get me roping crocs and sitting on their backs (even after a few babychams )
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice
Default Re: Croc Hunter

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Just watched Steve Irwin on tv - the guy is completely bonkers!!! I can`t criticise his enthusiasm and nerve though, don`t think you`d get me roping crocs and sitting on their backs (even after a few babychams )
What I like is his response to something that's trying it's best to bite big chunks out of him

"You're alright mate!"

Fair play to him. He's got a strong conservational message too
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bodger
What I like is his response to something that's trying it's best to bite big chunks out of him

"You're alright mate!"
yeah I love that one too ...lol
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point

He usually makes an appearance at his zoo on bank holiday Mondays, and does a show with the crocodiles which involves him diving into the water with them.
The guys a lunatic, but entertaining. (except when babies are involved)
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:20 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Williem
He usually makes an appearance at his zoo on bank holiday Mondays, and does a show with the crocodiles which involves him diving into the water with them.

LOL, I went to his zoo about two weeks after the incident where he fed one of his kiddies to the crocs, but all we got to see of steve irwin was him on a big screen saying something like "eh mates it's me, the croc hunter. go and buy yourselfs a toyota".
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:25 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Williem
We were a bit gutted that he wasn't there when we were. But one of his guys was doing a pretty good impressinon of him And the zoo is well worth a visit regardless.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:33 pm
Professional Princess

I did some work experience at Irwins zoo a year and a half ago.

Whilst I wouldnt want to work there, his animals are very well looked after, the zoo is immaculate and I have no doubt of his love for animals.

As far as zoos go, I worked at Currumbin wildlife sanctuary and they receive no government funding.

They were hit by a monsoon the time I was there. Wallabies and kangaroos were killed by the hailstones. Apparantly they looked as though they had been shot in the head.

They lost loads of animals. I had to assist with putting to sleep a wallaby, plus we had to go out to check for injured animals.

Lots of enclosures were destroyed and they have to get the money to repair them.

In my time in Currumbin, the working atmosphere was fantastic, the staff really nice and happy to teach you about the zoo.

They really worked as a team too and the best part for me was being invited to the monthly staff awards ceremony, free booze and food, it was a great night.

I stayed with 2 of the zoo keepers who didnt know me from anyone, but they offered their spare room.

I know its not on the same scale as Irwins, but their wild bird display is excellent and as a vet nurse, if I ever wanted to work at a zoo, it would be there.

Well worth a visit.

Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:59 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
We were a bit gutted that he wasn't there when we were. But one of his guys was doing a pretty good impressinon of him And the zoo is well worth a visit regardless.

Yes, I've been to the zoos in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney (taronga zoo is it??), the western plains zoo at dubbo as well as irwin's austrlalia zoo and I'd say that the presentations and displays by the zoo keepers at the australia zoo were probably the best. What tipped it for us I think was that the zoo keepers take some of the animals e.g. snakes, lizards, koalas, camels walking around the zoo to actually meet the visitors.

NJJ
Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NJJ
Yes, I've been to the zoos in Perth, Melbourne, Sydney (taronga zoo is it??), the western plains zoo at dubbo as well as irwin's austrlalia zoo and I'd say that the presentations and displays by the zoo keepers at the australia zoo were probably the best. What tipped it for us I think was that the zoo keepers take some of the animals e.g. snakes, lizards, koalas, camels walking around the zoo to actually meet the visitors.

NJJ
Is there any decent zoo's up near The Gold Coast by chance, or is that one in Sydney the closest?

It's been years since I visited London Zoo, but remember it being a bit crap anyway

My kids are very much animal lovers and I know they'll be on at me as soon as we land to go visit one if possible.

Thanks
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

I love him. He's absolutely insane but has made people sit up & notice when it comes to conservation.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:38 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble with Steve Irwin is that I think he is starting to believe his own hype. Don't get me wrong, he knows his stuff, but he plays up to the Yank TV audience too much in his shows. Unfortunately in this day and age, you need to be americanised in everything you do so I don't think you would find the likes of Harry Butler, the Leylands or Malcolm Douglas, would taking their children into a enclosure with what is still an powerful andunpredicable wild animal, or carrying on with the antics he does.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:42 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
I love him. He's absolutely insane but has made people sit up & notice when it comes to conservation.
Maybe, but he is still running a business, and if he puts out the right message people will dish out lots of dollars and it would be interesting to see what other conservation foundations he puts HIS profits to.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 8:21 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have to agree it is quite hyped, still good entertainment value though (apart from when he decided to take his kid into the croc enclosure - that was just stupid!! Did anyone see the programme he did on snakes a few years back???
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:14 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by The Bloke
The trouble with Steve Irwin is that I think he is starting to believe his own hype. Don't get me wrong, he knows his stuff, but he plays up to the Yank TV audience too much in his shows. Unfortunately in this day and age, you need to be americanised in everything you do so I don't think you would find the likes of Harry Butler, the Leylands or Malcolm Douglas, would taking their children into a enclosure with what is still an powerful andunpredicable wild animal, or carrying on with the antics he does.
This is what I found working at the zoo, it was very 'Have a nice day' kind of thing there.

Something about it seemed quite false and certainly not how he comes across on TV.

Its a false atmosphere to work in.

I never met Irwin, I saw him from a distance but we werent allowed to approach him anyway him or Terry.

Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Is there any decent zoo's up near The Gold Coast by chance, or is that one in Sydney the closest?

It's been years since I visited London Zoo, but remember it being a bit crap anyway

My kids are very much animal lovers and I know they'll be on at me as soon as we land to go visit one if possible.

Thanks
............................. o ............................k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.