Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

croc head and kangaroo skin to oz?

croc head and kangaroo skin to oz?

Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default croc head and kangaroo skin to oz?

When i have been in oz several times traveling and on holidays i have purchased kangaroo skin which has a painting on it and croc's head from darwin,i was wondering how i would do shipping these with me to oz,i have no problems taking them to uk,but what about back to oz,i would not see any problems cause they where purchased there anyway.can anyone advise.Yes i could leave them and buy again once in oz,but whats the point and anyway the skin with painting is not something you would find easy.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: croc head and kangaroo skin to oz?

Originally Posted by brian.w
When i have been in oz several times traveling and on holidays i have purchased kangaroo skin which has a painting on it and croc's head from darwin,i was wondering how i would do shipping these with me to oz,i have no problems taking them to uk,but what about back to oz,i would not see any problems cause they where purchased there anyway.can anyone advise.Yes i could leave them and buy again once in oz,but whats the point and anyway the skin with painting is not something you would find easy.
You would still have to declare them and quarantine may inspect them but they should be okay...good luck
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
You would still have to declare them and quarantine may inspect them but they should be okay...good luck
Did you see that Border Control (Nothing to declare in the UK) where a woman had taken some stuff to the UK from Australia, then emigrated back here and they wouldn't let her bring them back in!.

She even had to pay for them destroying!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
Did you see that Border Control (Nothing to declare in the UK) where a woman had taken some stuff to the UK from Australia, then emigrated back here and they wouldn't let her bring them back in!.

I missed that one Wendy . I did see the episode where the man brought in a 'plant' made mat for kneeling on...maybe from Fiji?...and it was crawling with horrible critters and larvae. He didn't declare it of course
I was overseas once and bought a new pair of shoes, they wre still in the box and had never been worn when I landed back home in Adelaide.
I just happened to be one of those they picked on that day...and they opened the box with the brand new shoes in....and they spotted a tiny speck on one of the shoes. I couldnt even see it...but they got quarantine to check them, all was okay and they gave them back to me.
Another time I brought in a couple of 'fans' which I had bought in Mexico, they were made from feathers and I declared them. They simply said "That's fine" and let me go with them
I have come back home to OZ so many times over the past 36 years and the only thing they checked were the brand new pair of shoes with the 'speck' on one of them...quarantine couldn't see the 'speck' either
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

But if they let you bring it in they should be ok going back,i got very worried about bringing them back to uk,called all sorts of people about if ok or not and even got emails sent to me to show customs to let me should there be any problems etc,when i came back,customs or anyone did not even care.
Why would they worry about something leave the country it would not be in there interest,but more so when going to oz,if purchased from oz i really cant see if being an issue but did wonder,i think i have a cert for the croc head to say its been purchased and not killed etc for buying etc,if you know what i mean but as for the skin,just purchased from a shop,so if they can sell then i think ok.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

what channel is the on,would like to watch that used to watch it but always forget what time and day its on.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

what channel is the on,would like to watch that used to watch it but always forget what time and day its on.
Brian it's on channel 7 on Monday evening. 7.30PM Perth time
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

But if they let you bring it in they should be ok going back,i got very worried about bringing them back to uk,called all sorts of people about if ok or not and even got emails sent to me to show customs to let me should there be any problems etc,when i came back,customs or anyone did not even care.
Why would they worry about something leave the country it would not be in there interest,but more so when going to oz,if purchased from oz i really cant see if being an issue but did wonder,i think i have a cert for the croc head to say its been purchased and not killed etc for buying etc,if you know what i mean but as for the skin,just purchased from a shop,so if they can sell then i think ok.

If you've got the docs, then it should be fine If you're worried the best thing to do would be to e-mail customs and ask them.

It used to be on cable in the UK. It's on here at the minute, on a Monday Evening at 7pm (SA time) on channel 7.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Brian,
its on Living TV on a Saturday night, Virgin ch 110, 8-9PM. Its also on Virgin1 on ch 122 weekdays at 10am. Virgin1 is also available on sky and freeview.

Johnnyyt
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
Brian,
its on Living TV on a Saturday night, Virgin ch 110, 8-9PM. Its also on Virgin1 on ch 122 weekdays at 10am. Virgin1 is also available on sky and freeview.

Johnnyyt
http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/faqs

Leather and skins (including animal skins with animal hair still attached)

Hides and skins (including animal skins with hair still attached) that have been fully tanned are allowed into Australia. This includes articles such as animal skin floor mats, purses, wallets, shoes and belts. If the items are not fully tanned, the items will be considered as rawhide and the requirements for rawhide apply. Used animal skin floor mats, clothing, and footwear have the potential to carry contaminants. For this reason, consignments must be inspected on arrival for cleanliness, insects and the presence of seeds or dirt. If the leather is found to have contaminants, the items must be gamma irradiated or disinfected, depending on the contamination found.

Items that do not meet these conditions must be re-exported or destroyed. Treatment or re-export of the items must be paid for by the importer.

Rawhide

Items with rawhide are allowed into Australia, provided the rawhide is accompanied by evidence that it:

* is greater than 5 years old (e.g. a sales receipt)
* has been previously gamma irradiated at 50kGray within Australia (e.g. a receipt showing details of gamma irradiation).

If satisfactory evidence of the age of the rawhide or previous gamma irradiation treatment is not provided, importers have the option of removing the rawhide or applying for an Import Permit. An import permit may be obtained by submitting an application. AQIS will assess the application and based on that assessment, may grant a permit subject to any conditions deemed necessary for safe importation, use, and disposal of those products. It should be noted that applying for a permit does not automatically result in a permit being issued.

Items that do not meet these conditions must be re-exported or destroyed. Costs for applying for an Import Permit or re-export of the items must be paid for by the importer.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 3:21 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want a croc head? That's really off.