Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

crime in oz????????????????

crime in oz????????????????

Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Ranger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default crime in oz????????????????

I have read thousands of posts regarding crime in oz, and my head is spining.just who is telling the truth?Crime in uk is bad, the worst it,s ever been,but i have to say this isn,t the case in every town here.So who is telling the truth with crime in oz?I haven,t heard bad stories about Melbourne, only that it is regarded the safest city in the world.Is there any truth in this? Calling all mellies.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 9:46 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: crime in oz????????????????

Originally posted by Ranger
I have read thousands of posts regarding crime in oz, and my head is spining.just who is telling the truth?Crime in uk is bad, the worst it,s ever been,but i have to say this isn,t the case in every town here.So who is telling the truth with crime in oz?I haven,t heard bad stories about Melbourne, only that it is regarded the safest city in the world.Is there any truth in this? Calling all mellies.

No it isn't. Crime in the UK is the lowest it has been for what, ten years? Violent crime is up, but overall, crime is a lot lower.

I never had any problems in Melbourne when I was there, but then that comes to the crux of the whole thing. Most people make statements like you did because of "preception of crime", ie, what they are told. You will almost certainly have a lower "preception of crime" in melbourne regardless of whether it is higher or lower.