Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crime in Britain rising out of control

Crime in Britain rising out of control

Old May 5th 2003, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

rainingagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crime in Britain rising out of control

THE streets of Soweto are safer than those of Hackney and people in the east London district are more likely to be treated in hospital after being shot or stabbed than in South Africa's most dangerous township, new statistics have revealed.

Figures from the main trauma centres in each area show that while Homerton Hospital in Hackney treats 55 knife or gunshot wounds each month, the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto - which has 10 times as many people in its catchment area - sees only six times as many such cases.

The figures were revealed by Donal Shanahan, a senior consultant surgeon from the Homerton who is in Soweto learning new techniques to deal with London's appalling rise in stabbings and shootings.

"I think everyone expected me to be shocked at what I would see in Soweto but, to be honest, I have seen this kind of violence and these kinds of injury many times before in London," Mr Shanahan, 47, told The Telegraph. "If you actually study the hard facts, Soweto is statistically rather safer than east London."

Soweto is the most violent township in South Africa, which has become the world's murder capital, with 27,000 killings each year. While Hackney does not match its overall murder figures, Homerton Hospital is only yards from the East End's notorious "Murder Mile", where eight people have been shot dead in the past two years.

Mr Shanahan will return to London next month and draw up plans for training junior doctors in trauma surgery at the Homerton and nearby Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. Mr Shanahan's first experience of treating a gunshot injury was as part of the team that treated the late WPc Yvonne Fletcher, who was shot outside the Libyan embassy in 1984. Since then, the number of gun- and knife-related injuries has risen dramatically across most of Britain.

Guns were used in 7,362 crimes nationally in 2000-01 - an increase of eight per cent on the previous year. Thirty people died in that period from gunshot wounds in London alone, compared with 16 the year before.

The profiles of cases of shootings and stabbing at Baragwanath and the Homerton are strikingly similar: most victims are young men caught up in crime and gang wars injured by low-velocity shotguns and razor-sharp bowie knives. Victims of reprisal attacks are often brought in soon after
Old May 5th 2003, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crime in Britain rising out of control

Originally posted by rainingagain
THE streets of Soweto are safer than those of Hackney and people in the east London district are more likely to be treated in hospital after being shot or stabbed than in South Africa's most dangerous township, new statistics have revealed.

Figures from the main trauma centres in each area show that while Homerton Hospital in Hackney treats 55 knife or gunshot wounds each month, the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto - which has 10 times as many people in its catchment area - sees only six times as many such cases.

The figures were revealed by Donal Shanahan, a senior consultant surgeon from the Homerton who is in Soweto learning new techniques to deal with London's appalling rise in stabbings and shootings.

"I think everyone expected me to be shocked at what I would see in Soweto but, to be honest, I have seen this kind of violence and these kinds of injury many times before in London," Mr Shanahan, 47, told The Telegraph. "If you actually study the hard facts, Soweto is statistically rather safer than east London."

Soweto is the most violent township in South Africa, which has become the world's murder capital, with 27,000 killings each year. While Hackney does not match its overall murder figures, Homerton Hospital is only yards from the East End's notorious "Murder Mile", where eight people have been shot dead in the past two years.

Mr Shanahan will return to London next month and draw up plans for training junior doctors in trauma surgery at the Homerton and nearby Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. Mr Shanahan's first experience of treating a gunshot injury was as part of the team that treated the late WPc Yvonne Fletcher, who was shot outside the Libyan embassy in 1984. Since then, the number of gun- and knife-related injuries has risen dramatically across most of Britain.

Guns were used in 7,362 crimes nationally in 2000-01 - an increase of eight per cent on the previous year. Thirty people died in that period from gunshot wounds in London alone, compared with 16 the year before.

The profiles of cases of shootings and stabbing at Baragwanath and the Homerton are strikingly similar: most victims are young men caught up in crime and gang wars injured by low-velocity shotguns and razor-sharp bowie knives. Victims of reprisal attacks are often brought in soon after
Given the choice, where would you rather live? Soweto or Hackney?
Old May 5th 2003, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
Given the choice, where would you rather live? Soweto or Hackney?
Which street?

Slippers
Old May 5th 2003, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Slippers
Which street?

Slippers
Easy Street?
Old May 5th 2003, 7:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Wondered why it was getting out of control here , them Poms again? just another good news story from Perth.

A MEDINA man is lucky to be alive after being attacked in his home on Friday.

Steve Webster was stabbed twice during a violent home invasion which left him with four surgical staples in his scalp and a badly swollen knee.

It is believed his assailant was armed with a screwdriver.

Old May 5th 2003, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Blimey Mate!

Soweto has sun, beaches, cheap houses, with posts like this you are going to have millions of English persons, jumping ship and off to Soweto. For goodness sake dont even start on the exchange rate probably 2000 to one.

Are you trying to start a stampeed!!!

Soweto, here they come.
Old May 5th 2003, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Blimey Mate!

Soweto has sun, beaches, cheap houses, with posts like this you are going to have millions of English persons, jumping ship and off to Soweto. For goodness sake dont even start on the exchange rate probably 2000 to one.

Are you trying to start a stampeed!!!

Soweto, here they come.
Hi Dotty,

This really does tell me you don't know what you are talking about,

Soweto is in the Transvaal near Johannesburg, 100's of miles from any beach,

HE HE HE keep em coming chomp chomp,

You were saying ...
Old May 5th 2003, 10:41 am
Badge

1. Crime has always been a problem

2. It has always been on the increase

3. there are also "Isolated" knifings everywhere....perth, london etc can't get away from it

i cant understand why people grab at statistical stories and use them to scare people...!!!

(im gonna get flamed)

i'll put my helmet on

Old May 5th 2003, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

rainingagain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by badgersmount
1. Crime has always been a problem

2. It has always been on the increase

3. there are also "Isolated" knifings everywhere....perth, london etc can't get away from it

i cant understand why people grab at statistical stories and use them to scare people...!!!

(im gonna get flamed)

i'll put my helmet on
no need for a helmet son. a few people on this site love to post articles down-grading australia just because they have decided to return home. think of it as redressing the balance. something us folk on our way downunder will appreciate.
Old May 5th 2003, 11:09 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

rainingagain
Why is it that all your posts are about putting the UK down.
Fair play to you that you wish to leave but from your posts you have got to be a typical WHINGER.
I live in a village in Hertfordshire where there is virtual no crime,
I can't understand your mentality with rubbishing Britain all the time?, where did you earn the money for this move to OZ? where were you educated? I take it you,re in good health, NHS perhaps?.
Why don't you start concentrating on the good points of your future home and stop rubbishing the country that has made that move possible for you.
Old May 5th 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I always wondered why my Dad (he was an ex copper from Dagenham nick) always said 'lock all the doors on the van' when I had to do collection and deliveries around Hackney and surrounding areas. Always thought it was a dodgy area!! But then I feel just as uneasy driving around some areas here sometimes, but then thats just me being paranoid I suppose.

Mandy
Old May 5th 2003, 3:36 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

All depends on what you're used to. My parents moved to worcestershire in 1981, and in all that time since have never been victims of any crime. By comparison my wife's parents (who live in a suburb of vancouver, canada) have had two house break-ins within the last eight months (one succesful, one unsucessful) and in the last two years their car has been both vandalised, stolen and had the back window smashed in.
Old May 5th 2003, 6:05 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Hackney is a dodgy area no doubt about it, good pie & mash shop in Hoxton tho
Old May 6th 2003, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Hi Dotty,

This really does tell me you don't know what you are talking about,

Soweto is in the Transvaal near Johannesburg, 100's of miles from any beach,

HE HE HE keep em coming chomp chomp,

You were saying ...
Scooby, the post was sarcastic, ironic a jokey type post.

I really really think you are going to have to loosen up a bit to fit into OZ.

I cannot believe you thought it was serious!!!! Gosh have a beer or something.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

THE streets of Soweto are safer than those of Hackney ...

... Soweto is the most violent township in South Africa, which has become the world's murder capital, with 27,000 killings each year.
So how do you work that out then ?

and what is the point of a post like that ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.