British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Crime in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/crime-australia-575381/)

geraldine2 Nov 26th 2008 6:47 pm

Crime in Australia

Dear all

I would like to know various crimes occuring in Darwin,perth,Sydney,victoria and brisbane.

Iam moving with my family to Australia with three daughters,which city is safe for me.

From the thread i feel Perth look most dangerous to live.

Please!!! Please advise?

Reards

Gerald

Petals Nov 26th 2008 6:50 pm

Re: Crime in Australia

Just because you read about the crime does not mean its happening in every neighbourhood all the time. There is crime but the majority of people who live here are not involved in anything just like everywhere else. If you read the daily papers from each city there will be a crime mentioned every day just like a car accident but for most of us we just get on with our lives lawfully and safely.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Nov 26th 2008 6:55 pm

Going from what i read on here Perth sounds like Baghdad on a bad day... I doubt its really like that. :)

Pollyana Nov 26th 2008 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by geraldine2 (Post 7012898)
Dear all

I would like to know various crimes occuring in Darwin,perth,Sydney,victoria and brisbane.

Iam moving with my family to Australia with three daughters,which city is safe for me.

Please!!! Please advise?

Reards

Gerald

Australia has the same crimes as the rest of the world, its just another country.

Same crimes, different bucket.

ABCDiamond Nov 26th 2008 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 7012944)
Going from what i read on here Perth sounds like Baghdad on a bad day... I doubt its really like that. :)

:rofl:

It really does vary a lot. Some guy got hit by someone with a baseball bat near us, it made front page news in the newspapers.

Other areas, someone shoots into someones house, and we hear nothing about it.

It is just like the UK, in some areas it can be bad, in others very little.

Some people from a good area in the UK move to a bad area in Australia, and their opinion of Australian crime is going to be very bad.

The people who move from a bad area in the UK (like me), to a good area in Australia, will "feel" that there is less crime in Australia.

I feel that the worst areas of Sydney may be worse than the worst areas of Brisbane, but although living in both cities, as I haven't actually lived in either of the "bad" areas of the two, I cannot be sure.

Reading the newspapers is no real guide to the true situation...

There is a suburb about 1 hour south of Darwin that has no crime, and no one bothers to lock the doors etc.
However, after hearing that on the TV, I do wonder how many of the criminal type are moving up that way now :)

James516 Nov 26th 2008 10:13 pm

Crime in Brisbane is terrible - I was murdered and dismembered three times on my way to work this morning alone.

nessyp Nov 26th 2008 10:40 pm

It depends where you live.
Live in bogansville and you will be a statstistic.
Otherwise just as safe as anywhere in UK
Definatley safer place than UK allround.

Dorothy Nov 27th 2008 12:33 am

Dear all

Please!!! Please advise?

Reards

Gerald

I think the safest place for you is to stay where you are. Apparently there is crime all over Australia and you are sure to be raped, maimed, robbed, carjacked or murdered within your first days here. Especially if you live in Perth!

Get a grip! Perth is a city of 1.5 million people. Of course there will be some crime, but it's hardly dangerous.

nessyp Nov 27th 2008 2:15 am

I was murdered 3 times in the first week of being here in Perth :rofl:

DadAgain Nov 27th 2008 2:20 am

Dear all

Please!!! Please advise?

Reards

Gerald

All you need to do is make sure you NEVER buy a newspaper and dont switch on the TV between 5pm and 7pm and you'll be fine. You'd be amazed by how totaly crime free the world becomes...

The flipside is that if you read the paper every day and watch the fear-mongering current affairs shows you'll be convinced that death is a certainty shouldyou have a moment of weakness and decided to venture beyond your front door.

I cant compare Australia with other parst fo the world very well ( nobody can since theres no standard way of gathering statistics) - but all the indicators we have suggest that crime levels in Australia (just like the UK) have been falling for a few years now. Of course media reports of crimes have increased and public perception and fear of crime is increased.

Control your own destiny, dont let the bastards get you down and stop worrying about it!

Zambia Nov 27th 2008 2:34 am

Dear all

Please!!! Please advise?

Reards

Gerald

Surely if Crime is a worry you should stay in Dubai.

Basically worry about work first if you have nothing then crime is the least of your worries.

Places where crime is rare tend to have less job oppurtunities.
:confused:

Melbourne = crime high (enough like )
Melbourne = Jobs loads

Clifton Springs/Geelong = Crime low
Clifton springs/Geelong = Jobs low

KRL Nov 27th 2008 5:10 am

I've been here 4 months and not witnessed a single crime yet, although my flat mates (who've been here about the same length) have been robbed 3 times...
Guess you just have to be unlucky.

Red_V_Roger Nov 27th 2008 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Zambia (Post 7014233)
Surely if Crime is a worry you should stay in Dubai.

Yeah, I mean I've never know anyone getting put in jail for having sex on a beach in Australia...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Or have they?

ponyrama Nov 27th 2008 8:42 am

Crime is really bad in Australia - I was mugged and raped before I even got there. ;)

Wendy Nov 27th 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 7014888)
Crime is really bad in Australia - I was mugged and raped before I even got there. ;)

:lol:

What do you expect, the place is full of criminals and immigrants! :D

njk435 Nov 27th 2008 10:41 am

I live in Palmerston, near Darwin and love it. Darwin is a pretty safe place. I still lock my doors at night though (most of the time...)

There is crime and there are some suburbs I wouldn't live in, but mostly she's pretty good.

The Bloke Nov 27th 2008 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7014917)

What do you expect, the place is full of criminals and immigrants! :D

Considering it was Britain that cleared up it's crime rate by dumping all their criminals here in the first place in 1788.;)

moneypenny20 Nov 27th 2008 11:59 am

No crime here, it's utopia. Actually dug some gold up in the street outside to go and buy my morning coffee with.

Kalenge Nov 27th 2008 12:03 pm

Dear all

Please!!! Please advise?

Reards

Gerald

If this forum has led you to believe that Perth is a dangerous place to live, then please understand that sometimes so-called facts that are posted on here are anything but, and can be extremely skewed, inaccurate, and misleading. Unfortunately there's a few bigots that feel the need to trash other cities to give them the security that their city (or even the city that that they left behind) is the best.

All things considered, Perth is not dangerous and is often quoted as being the most family friendly city in Australia.

I don't think anyone can honestly say that you're more likely to be a victim of crime (to any large degree) in any one of those cities more than the others. It will probably be more down to the area that you choose to live in with any of those cities.

There are many places in the world where you need to be very conscious about crime, and generally speaking, Australia is not one of them. Take it easy.

twhurl Nov 27th 2008 12:12 pm

I live in Perth and I think its a crime the way my wife doesnt let me go out boozing and carousing every night.

De Mange Nov 27th 2008 1:38 pm

I dont know about crime stats etc but can only say that Australia FEELS safer than Britain.

How much of that is caused by the British media creating the moral panics, Im not sure.

brido Nov 27th 2008 5:59 pm

Dear all

Please!!! Please advise?

Reards

Gerald

Dont panic,i researched all i could about Oz before i came out and the crime stats had me alarmed.
The only criminal thing ive seen here are the aussies drivers.I was the only one on the highway one morning and some arsehole joined and put me on the middle verge as he came on from the sliproad!
Be alert on the roads as they are really bad drivers,appart from that, pick a place to stay and enjoy. :thumbup:

ABCDiamond Nov 27th 2008 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 7015443)
No crime here, it's utopia. Actually dug some gold up in the street outside to go and buy my morning coffee with.

You are aware that it is a crime to dig holes in the public streets aren't you ?

It may also be a crime to dig for gold without a prospecting licence...

No crime you say .... ;) :lol:

sr71 Nov 27th 2008 10:29 pm

Australia is generally one of the safest places in the world.

You chances of being a victim of crime will increase substantially if :

-You live in an aboriginal community
-You enjoy going out to certain nightspots and enjoy getting drunk and into fights
-You walk around certain areas of cities at night

Other than that i think it is far safer than Britain and there is certainly a lot less anti-social behaviour.

moneypenny20 Nov 28th 2008 11:50 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7016856)
You are aware that it is a crime to dig holes in the public streets aren't you ?

It may also be a crime to dig for gold without a prospecting licence...

No crime you say .... ;) :lol:

And how do you know I've not got a prospecting licence, huh :p

ABCDiamond Nov 29th 2008 12:09 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 7018311)
And how do you know I've not got a prospecting licence, huh :p

It is also a crime to make a statement about someone that isn't true, therefore I am now a criminal :unsure:
:rofl:

Nu-Shooz Nov 29th 2008 12:23 am

Dear all

Please!!! Please advise?

Reards

Gerald

I live in Perth and only crime that has happened to me in 2 half years of living here is car broken into once.
I have not witnessed much crime, just drunks hanging around on a weekend:D

Hutch Nov 29th 2008 12:36 am

Statistically, Oz is no different to the UK in terms of crime. Certain types of crime are more prevelant in either country, but in broad terms they're pretty similar.

In the UK I had my fill of city living and moved to the countryside. No crime personally affected me in the 10 years we lived 'rural' though the local building society was robbed at gunpoint one Saturday. And it's no different here - we live semi-rural and no crime has personally affected me in two and a half years in this town. Worst crime locally is the pilfering of outboard motors, which is something of a local speciality (people leave their boats next to their holiday caravans all winter). I dare say that if I lived in Sydney, I'd be singing from a different hymm-sheet, but then I understand that the higher the population density, the higher the incidence of crime.

Pomster Nov 29th 2008 12:46 am

I think the price of lettuce is absolutely criminal....

ABCDiamond Nov 29th 2008 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 7019888)
I think the price of lettuce is absolutely criminal....

Did someone mention lettuce ???

I bought one yesterday for 99 cents at ALDI

Dorothy Nov 29th 2008 5:06 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7019990)
Did someone mention lettuce ???

I bought one yesterday for 99 cents at ALDI

$1.69 at Coles Ocean Keys this morning. When I got home the old man said "Mmm! That's some nice head." I do hope he was talking about the lettuce. :embaressed_smile:

ABCDiamond Nov 29th 2008 5:23 am

I do love a good lettuce thread :lol:

Is it a crime to go off-topic ?

framac67 Nov 29th 2008 6:55 am

Originally Posted by James516 (Post 7013701)
Crime in Brisbane is terrible - I was murdered and dismembered three times on my way to work this morning alone.

Sorry about that but your watch was glistening in the sun and I just had to have it.:rofl:

ponyrama Nov 29th 2008 8:35 am

Originally Posted by framac67 (Post 7020230)
Sorry about that but your watch was glistening in the sun and I just had to have it.:rofl:

Bloomin magpies!