Wikiposts

Crime...

Old Apr 24th 2004, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crime...

On a few occasions I've read threads where the implication/belief is that crime is lower in Oz than UK.

I guess the Oz laid-back lifestyle, vast empty spaces, superficially friendly nature of Aussies helps to underline that belief.

Unfortunately, it's an illusion.

Here are some comparative figures across 17 countries - showing the %age overall probability of being a victim of 1 or more crimes in 1999 (includes crimes against the person, car theft and burglary).

In this group of 17 countries, the average person is exposed to the greatest risk of crime if living in Oz (~15% higher chance than UK)

England & Wales 26
Northern Ireland 15
Scotland 23
Belgium 21
Denmark 23
Finland 19
France 21
Netherlands 25
Poland 23
Portugal 15
Spain 19
Sweden 25
Switzerland 18
Australia 30
Canada 24
Japan 15
U.S.A 21

Source: Criminal Victimisation in 17 Industrialised Countries: Key findings from the 2000 International Crime Victims Survey
(Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek- en Documentatiecentrum, The Netherlands).:

Last edited by MikeStanton; Apr 24th 2004 at 3:15 am.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crime...

Originally posted by MikeStanton
On a few occasions I've read threads where the implication/belief is that crime is lower in Oz than UK.

I guess the Oz laid-back lifestyle, vast empty spaces, superficially friendly nature of Aussies helps to underline that belief.

Unfortunately, it's an illusion.

Here are some comparative figures across 17 countries - showing the %age overall probability of being a victim of 1 or more crimes in 1999 (includes crimes against the person, car theft and burglary).

In this group of 17 countries, the average person is exposed to the greatest risk of crime if living in Oz (~15% higher chance than UK)

England & Wales 26
Northern Ireland 15
Scotland 23
Belgium 21
Denmark 23
Finland 19
France 21
Netherlands 25
Poland 23
Portugal 15
Spain 19
Sweden 25
Switzerland 18
Australia 30
Canada 24
Japan 15
U.S.A 21

Source: Criminal Victimisation in 17 Industrialised Countries: Key findings from the 2000 International Crime Victims Survey
(Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek- en Documentatiecentrum, The Netherlands).:

? so what?

You can be affected by crime anyway in the world. Most people on here know that you have moved back to 'dear old blighty' with it's gorgeous green rolling countryside and no crime(

Let people on here make there own choice and try to be less negative.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 24th 2004, 5:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by glm36
? so what?

You can be affected by crime anyway in the world. Most people on here know that you have moved back to 'dear old blighty' with it's gorgeous green rolling countryside and no crime(

Let people on here make there own choice and try to be less negative.
Stating facts is not negative.

G
Old Apr 24th 2004, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

But also, stats are not necessarily facts, you could research all kinds of stats to fit the impression you want to give. Much crime is under reported in any case, but those stats wouldn't help you see whether there is more or less under reporting of crime in the UK compared with Oz. And depends on what is officially recorded as crime eg - if you only think you had your mobile stolen as it's missing from your jacket pocket, it'll be recorded as lost, as no way any investigation is going in to it - .... just examples..!!

HB x
Old Apr 24th 2004, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
Stating facts is not negative.

G
No, but its tedious and boring, especially coming from a person who trys nothing better than putting down a country that he has had a good living from and has finally returned back to the UK.

Theres a forum for all his negative vibes.......it's called returning to the UK.

bye for now, it's saturday night and i'm off down the bar for a few Warsteiners.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I was burgled 3 times in the space of two years, here in good old blighty.

And no, I don't live in the brit equivilent of the bronx - twice in Notts and once in Hull ( at uni, at the time ).

I'm not saying it won't / woulden't happen in Australia, but the fact is that it happens everywhere.

Although I find it interesting to read these type of posts, I always come back to THAT quote:

" There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics ".

Old Apr 24th 2004, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh
And no, I don't live in the brit equivilent of the bronx - twice in Notts and once in Hull ( at uni, at the time ).

Hull? Not surprised - it was voted as #1 crap town in UK

Call me cynical, but if someone had posted statistics showing that Oz had a lower crime rate than UK, we would have seen rabid posts like:

"Exactly. That's why we're going"

"See, the country's gone to the dogs. We want a future for our kids"

along with, for good measure:

"Get me outta here, before I am engulfed by the tidal wave of asylum seekers"

with the obligatory - and ironic - remarks on "immigrants!"

etc, bloody etc..
Old Apr 24th 2004, 7:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by glm36
No, but its tedious and boring, especially coming from a person who trys nothing better than putting down a country that he has had a good living from and has finally returned back to the UK.

Theres a forum for all his negative vibes.......it's called returning to the UK.

bye for now, it's saturday night and i'm off down the bar for a few Warsteiners.
Before any one has a go at me.I've just got a visa to go and live in Australia.
I've lived in the UK for over 50 years and don't recognise all the problems that everyone complains about in the UK.
My life is OK here.
I do not think it does anyone any favours to pretend that the UK is any worse than Australia.
Australia has problems.Full stop.
My son has lived there a few years,in 'Nice areas,. He has now had three cars stolen.Fact.
There is probably very little difference between the two countries.Why pretend it is any different???

G
Old Apr 24th 2004, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Call me cynical, but if someone had posted statistics showing that Oz had a lower crime rate than UK, we would have seen rabid posts like:

etc, bloody etc..
Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive?

Didn't Oz give you the cash to return? " sold my house for $1,000,000plus......"

I have nothing against you personally - I don't even know you - but if you spent 12 plus years in Australia, it must have been not so bad at the time?

To my mind, if i'd been there, done that...and bought the t-shirt - with enough cash left over to buy my own t-shirt manufacturing company, then i'd have better things to do.

What is your agenda?

And NO - I'm not one of the " garden is rosy, down under " brigade, just one of the " I'll give it a go, 'cos it's a long life and life, surely, is for living " brigade.

And, god knows, if i was 'back', I woulden't be spending my time on a forum for wannabees and expats? You obviously have time on your hands?

Are you REALLY so glad to be back? :scared:
Old Apr 24th 2004, 7:41 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Images  
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:33 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

etc, bloody etc..
Stanton you are nothing but, a spineless serial shit stirrer, posting stats that are 5 years old, have a look at the latest.:scared:
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Jayell is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you feel the need to be so aggressive?

To my mind, if i'd been there, done that...and bought the t-shirt - with enough cash left over to buy my own t-shirt manufacturing company, then i'd have better things to do.

What is your agenda?

And, god knows, if i was 'back', I woulden't be spending my time on a forum for wannabees and expats? You obviously have time on your hands?
Do many people find Mike's posts aggressive? I find them interesting, amusing, very readable although admittedly, he has a penchant for quoting statistics! Not sure he has an agenda and I think, if asked about Oz, he has good advice to give, both positive and negative.

I have a full and busy life and like to spend some time on this forum, mostly reading. However, I'm neither a wannabee nor an ex-pat. There's a lot of useful information to hand for wannabees, ex-pats and the many other categories of people who have the choice to spend time as they please!
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Try the search facility and have a look at ' mikes ' posts.

If oz is so great, why did he leave?

If oz is so bad, then why did he leave with $1,000,000 plus in the bank after 12plus years,

Sounds SLIGHTLY twisted to me.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

OH, AND YOU'RE NEITHER A WANNABEE NOR AN EXPAT -

WHAT ARE YOU???????????
Old Apr 24th 2004, 10:07 am
Just Joined

Jayell is an unknown quantity at this point

OH, AND YOU'RE NEITHER A WANNABEE NOR AN EXPAT -

WHAT ARE YOU???????????
("Just cheesing me off, that someone who has SOMETHING to say, someone who's well travelled enough to know the ' difference ', gets flamed for his opinions."

Just read that bit on the Don Pleasance thread and totally agreed with it, then realised it was you!)

Agree that the part about Hull was a bit uncalled for but I think Mike's humour seems to be quite dry, not really aggressive. Only my opinion . . .

Ex-pat or wannabee? Are there only two categories of people on this forum? I'm neither. Which one are you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.