Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crikey, They let us in?

Crikey, They let us in?

Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Dilly's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crikey, They let us in?

Wow, we applied for Oz as skilled sponsored in designated area in March last year. Got acceptance today!!!

Off to Brisbane with self, wife and two kids. It really has set in today that this is it. Have only just joined this site but have secretly been using it as source of info for a month or so.

Our two girls (8 and 10 years) are fine, but I wonder if anyone knows of any websites for them to look at with kids in mind.

Have seen how some of you are better prepared than us. Are we that bad, as we have only just arranged quotes for house and removals.

Process for us was a little longer as I did not expect to get in due to some health challenges, but obviously I am healthier than I thought

Would love to communicate with anybody else off to Oz.

Good luck
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Dilys

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Whereabouts are you off to in Brisbane? There are plenty of members on here who are based there so I am sure that they will be able to answer all of your questions.

Good luck.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Default Brisbane here we come

Debsy

Thanks for the welcome.

We re not sure where just yet depends on work etc. We are staying with family in Caloundra and have as much time as we need in order to find work and schools and homes. Will probably settle north Brisbane in outskirts etc.

Due to medicals etc, we have to be in Oz for first visit by end of May so not much time. Will sell up here and just go.

Property has certainly increased in price so some hunting will take place over different areas.

Any suggestions from anyone on best place to book a flight for our journey. Have read that Cathay Pacific or Emirates are ok. Do we go direct to them or via a web page- Any suggestions helpful

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Dillys
We flew with Singapore to Brisbane on our last visit. They were very good although the food was not up too much. We also have two kids ages 7 & 9 and they love Singapore as the entertainment is really good and you can stop and start the films when you want.

I am not based in the UK so I cannot give you any advice on where to get your tickets but I am sure one of the others will.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crikey, They let us in?

Originally posted by Dilly's
Wow, we applied for Oz as skilled sponsored in designated area in March last year. Got acceptance today!!!

Off to Brisbane with self, wife and two kids. It really has set in today that this is it. Have only just joined this site but have secretly been using it as source of info for a month or so.

Our two girls (8 and 10 years) are fine, but I wonder if anyone knows of any websites for them to look at with kids in mind.

Have seen how some of you are better prepared than us. Are we that bad, as we have only just arranged quotes for house and removals.

Process for us was a little longer as I did not expect to get in due to some health challenges, but obviously I am healthier than I thought

Would love to communicate with anybody else off to Oz.

Good luck

Congrats Dillys
What a great feeling it is after all those months of organising, waiting and worrying.
We got our visas a couple of weeks ago and didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Also we'll be heading for north Brisbane when we go, to my wifes sister.

there was a site mentioned by some-one recently re kids info in Brisbane

www.brisbaneschild.com.au/brisbaneschild

I don't know if its what your after but give it a go

good luck
Old Mar 6th 2004, 7:18 am
Just Joined

oxose is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Crikey, They let us in?

OK Dilly's

We are ready and waiting. We'll pick you up at the airport. You will be able to recognise me by my shiney head and sunnies Tell the little dilly's that we are really getting excited now. Mrs Oxose is already getting the bedroom's ready. The pool might have cooled down a bit by then, but I'm sure it will be a darn sight warmer than Brighton Beach.

Off to Bulcock Beach for fish and chips by moonlight.

Don't forget to bring over all my DIY tools that you stole from me!

..THe Oxose
Old Mar 6th 2004, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Dillys! How exciting!
Shop around for flights - get prices from places like OzTravel, Trailfinders and Travelbag, or ebookers.com, expedia.com, etc ....but also get prices direct from airline. Direct with airline never really used to be cheaper but I got flights direct with Singapore airlines recently and they were cheaper than a travel agent. Check the weekend papers - they normally list what travel company is offering what offer, and with what airline, etc! (You'll also need to ask about your 40kg migrants baggage allowance (if flying via Asia)- when I went about 2 years ago, virtually every airline offered it but some people's comments on here indicate that they've had probs securing the baggage allowance. Seems that some airlines now offer it and some don't.)

Good luck with your new venture

p.s. Debsty, totally agree with you that food on Singapore airlines was crap! Service was good on Singapore tho. Best flights I have done have been with Malaysia Airlines and Cathay
Old Mar 6th 2004, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Woooopppeeeee!

Yep, used sunday papers for flight searches and got all four of us for £1300 with Singapore on 12th May. Hope food isnt too bad, but shall take large quantities of current buns to keep kids and wife quiet.

Used singapore as general feedback seems great. Tried, travel agents and direct but Flight Centre was best we could get with that airline.

Looking forward to being only ones in your area using the pool throughout the winter.

Glad we dont need to rent (or even buy) as we'll just stay with you guys until were old enough to go to retirment home.

Off soon to do Fear of Spiders course at london zoo so hope that this at lease minimises the sudden palpitations when I see my first huntsman spider with his gym kit.

Cant bring any tools though as buggered them all up bodging various DIY jobs. But will be glad to help you around house!!!

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Old Mar 6th 2004, 9:18 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...idTopicArea=uk

link to singapore airlines website they sometimes have good offers depends on dates u want to fly

We are hopefully off to the Brisbane area, when out grant letter eventually gets here