Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Creepy crawlers...

Creepy crawlers...

Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Creepy crawlers...

Does Perth have less of a insect/snake weird creature problem than other parts of Australia, or are they all about the same?
As the population increase within modernised areas slowed the amount of said creatures in and around the towns etc, or do you just get used to them popping up from time to time?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creepy crawlers...

Originally Posted by deb68
Does Perth have less of a insect/snake weird creature problem than other parts of Australia, or are they all about the same?
As the population increase within modernised areas slowed the amount of said creatures in and around the towns etc, or do you just get used to them popping up from time to time?
hmmm.......don't worry about the flies/spiders etc. Massively overrated. You know you are an old sweat when you do take delight in scaring visitors fresh off the boat. But they soon realise the hoop snakes are the figment of your (over)active imagination. Even delivered deadpan they cotton on fast.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough

Rem waking up in our camper van years ago and putting away the bed when I pulled back the curtains there was a Huntsman trapped behind them all night so basically we slept with him.
Was out the door of the van like a bullet, still dream of a big spider coming over the end of the bed somethimes all these years later.

You don't actually see as many "creepy crawlers" as you said as much as people make out, don't worry about them
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I've only seen two snakes in 2.5 years and one of them was dead. Regularly see dangerous spiders but just squash them with a stick. We had a few scorpions in the house about 12 months ago but not seen any since and we had a nest of bull ants in the garden but stayed clear of them.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

simmoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I second the above. In 3 years ive seen one live red bellied black snake in my garden (it was a baby and was gone before I could get the misses to come and have a look) the other ones ive seen where dead. I live right opposite acres and acres of grassland and apparently (according to neighbours) its full of red bellies and brown snakes but I dont go looking for them which helps I suppose.

Spiders are another matter we get Huntsmans in the house all the time and they scare the hell out of you cos they are pretty big and scary looking but pretty harmless really. The ones we have to look out for a Red Back's which we get lots of in the garage and around the outside of the house. They not really scary but you wouldn't want to get stung by one unless you like hospitals. Again I dont go looking for them but I know they are there so you just check before you go picking stuff up.

Getting your house sprayed inside and out helps keep them at bay and only costs a few hundred bucks
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:55 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l don't think anyone in perth has ever died from a spider bite and in the highly unlikely event you were bitten by a snake in Perth you should easliy make it to hospital in time to get antivenom treatment and be saved, its really only people in remote rural areas that die from snake bite these days becasue they are too far away from hospital. Snakes only bite people in self defence if they pick them up and step on them. If you are affraid if them then perhaps live in a more built up inner city area not outer suburbs semi -rural area.

Last edited by mohogony; Jan 30th 2010 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:01 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I was very worried about the insect potential when I moved here but it is simply not an issue- I had more house spiders in the uk than I have since moving to perth I really wouldnt worry. If you are going to live in a rural area then that would be a different matter Im sure but if you are going to perth or the burbs I wouldnt worry
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

All we've had at the house in 6 months is a few redbacks and 2 whitetails. Those plus flies, ants and cockroaches.

The house and outside areas are sprayed/bombed every 3 months which helps.