Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit ratings in OZ

Credit ratings in OZ

Old May 18th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit ratings in OZ

We are moving to Brisbane, and want to know what we can do to show that we are good for a mortgage?
thanks
Old May 19th 2011, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Credit ratings in OZ

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
We are moving to Brisbane, and want to know what we can do to show that we are good for a mortgage?
thanks
Hi,

This topic has been discussed many times so if you do a search you will find lots of information, basically your credit record needs to be built up in Oz, you need the usual employee payslips to get a mortgage and you can print out your credit record from the UK but it doesn't necessarily mean much to lenders out here. Do a search there will be lots of information for you too look at.
Old May 19th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Your UK credit record is of no interest to the banks. You start with no record and over time all it contains is credit applied for and any defaults/judgments against you. It does not give you a score; the lender does that at the time of lending.

If you have a nice fat deposit and can afford the repayments you should be fine. You might have to wait 3 months or so to get enough payment history but it is dependent on the lender and your own circumstances.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

There are some banks that will help in moving your credit rating to Oz. These tend to be the ones that are multi-national.

Hsbc can arrange this although you have to have one of their premier accounts for this to happen.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mvagusta
There are some banks that will help in moving your credit rating to Oz. These tend to be the ones that are multi-national.

Hsbc can arrange this although you have to have one of their premier accounts for this to happen.
But its not really worth it as the Aussie branches will take no notice of any overseas credit rating.

Generally you only make your credit rating worse here. Each loan application is recorded as is missed payments but positive paying of debt isn't recorded.

Generally for a mortgage you need to be through your probationary period, provide proof of income and be able to prove your savings aren't a last minute gift/loan from a rellie. Other than that its down to affordability.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

so it is truely a new start in life.
We moved to Canada 8 years ago and it is very similar.
But we found it a sruggle at first. But now we know how to work the very similar points brought up in this email.
Not that i am, but what would happen if i was bankrupt in Canada? or say i returned a car I had on loan to a bank in canada even though i had not finished the payments?
Old May 19th 2011, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Not that i am, but what would happen if i was bankrupt in Canada? or say i returned a car I had on loan to a bank in canada even though i had not finished the payments?
As you are starting a new life Oz banks will not know about an adverse credit history. Hence the reason that you need to build up your credit rating.

You may find though that depending on who it is and how much you owe, they may start chasing you for the money if they can locate you.
Alot of financial institutions sell the debt on to debt collectors so it's in the collectors interest to find you.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point

so it is truely a new start in life.
We moved to Canada 8 years ago and it is very similar.
But we found it a sruggle at first. But now we know how to work the very similar points brought up in this email.

I know if that happened and you moved to the UK, they would come after you for the money still owed.
It happened to my parents when we left Canada for the UK, they could not sell their car in time of the flights and posted the keys at the Bank. About 6 months later they where in contact for the balance due.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

so did they come after all the money that was owing ? or just the amount left after selling it?
Old May 20th 2011, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point

so did they come after all the money that was owing ? or just the amount left after selling it?

Just after the money that was left the sale.
Old May 20th 2011, 8:02 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

thanks
Talk to these guys:

http://www.mortgagechoice.com.au/