Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

credit rating/mortgages in Australia

credit rating/mortgages in Australia

Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

zander is an unknown quantity at this point
Question credit rating/mortgages in Australia

It's quite some time since I posted so apologies for raising this again (I'm sure I've seen discussion of this sort before, but can't remember what the gist of it was).

How can new migrants build up a decent credit rating in Oz and how easy is this to do?

What about mortgages? I'm assuming the fact that you may have a top notch rating in the UK means diddly over there? We won't be able to buy outright but will have a sizeable deposit (about 50% of our likely purchase price)

Anyone have any guidance or advice?

Due to go to Melbourne for good in September.

Ta

Alex
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

gazzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: credit rating/mortgages in Australia

Some good questions

I'd like to know as well

Gaz
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Friends of ours have been over in Oz for 18months now, new house, no mortgage and last week tried to get interest free on a new 3 piece and was refused. It looks like it's hard to get a good credit rate going.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:05 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

We have been here for over 9 month now..........we are getting a house built, we had enough from the sale of our house to buy the land outright, we also bought our car cash, so all this is taken into account when u r needing a mortgage.........we put down $45k and got $150k of a mortgage...for easyness we got our mortgage thro the westpac as this is where hubbys wages get paid into and all our money from the UK went....so they knew how much we were worth.

Hubby got a letter from work to say that he had a perm contract and what his earnings were, and that was it. We also got a Virgin Credit card, also no probs, giving us an instant $8700 limit.

If you have some savings in the bank then u have no probs getting credit......on saying that I havent applied for any interest free stuff so that may be different
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:36 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zander
It's quite some time since I posted so apologies for raising this again (I'm sure I've seen discussion of this sort before, but can't remember what the gist of it was).

How can new migrants build up a decent credit rating in Oz and how easy is this to do?

What about mortgages? I'm assuming the fact that you may have a top notch rating in the UK means diddly over there? We won't be able to buy outright but will have a sizeable deposit (about 50% of our likely purchase price)

Anyone have any guidance or advice?

Due to go to Melbourne for good in September.

Ta

Alex
if you have a job, bank account, a home address and a drivers license then it's easy getting credit.

I was here 4 months and got a credit card first time of asking and 2 sofas from Myers on interest free for a year