Credit History

Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit History

Can anyone confirm that this is correct or not;

The Royal Bank of Scotland owns a bank in Australia therefore your credit history could be transfered?

The Clydesdale Bank is owned by an Australian bank and therefore your credit history can also be transfered?

Indeed can any credit history in the UK be transfered to Oz?

Thank you
Andy
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:57 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit History

Originally posted by ducatiandy

The Royal Bank of Scotland owns a bank in Australia therefore your credit history could be transfered?

The Clydesdale Bank is owned by an Australian bank and therefore your credit history can also be transfered?

Thank you
Andy
Under the UK data protection act your credit information cannot be moved overseas. Therefore RBS oz cannot access UK credit records. If you have an outstanding debt the creditor can try and chase you to Oz and that is an entirely different matter.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

ducatiandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
Under the UK data protection act your credit information cannot be moved overseas. Therefore RBS oz cannot access UK credit records. If you have an outstanding debt the creditor can try and chase you to Oz and that is an entirely different matter.
No No I am not running away from any bad debts, sorry gave you wrong end of stick.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:28 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Can't vouch for RBS etc.... but as far as credit history goes here, if you get a bank account, get a job, get a credit card (low limit) then a mortgage here rest usually follows. Depends on which order you need things. We used UK cards for a while for the panic needs, (outgoing higher than income!). Yes you start again for the most part in terms of credit, depends what you need to buy.

Cheers
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit history

Just as a matter of interest , not that i have any debts , but how can banks etc `chase `you if you`re in Australia , i mean how can they prove it is actually you if you don`t open an account with the same bank?
They can`t know where to find you if you don`t know where you`re going to be yourself , unless of course you tell them . Is there any other way they can trace you ie taxes , etc? and can they make you pay them back anyway ?
Old Dec 17th 2003, 7:46 pm

No No I am not running away from any bad debts, sorry gave you wrong end of stick.
You did not give me that impression but I was pre-empting the question from anyone that might be thinking of legging it from their responsibilities.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:01 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Andy
Hi Andy,
Had a courtesy call from RBS (head office, Edinburgh) yesterday.
Seeing as i had banked with them for a long time, i asked if they had any links with banks in Oz (for transferring money etc).
their reply was that they didn't own or have any partnerships with any bank in Oz.
Don't know about credit checks though.

Arron
Old Dec 18th 2003, 12:44 am

http://www.home-repo.org/blacklis/blackliscontents.html

Some interesting info on how the debtor tracing industry operates. Nothing is as it seems.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 2:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit history

Originally posted by pagey
Just as a matter of interest , not that i have any debts , but how can banks etc `chase `you if you`re in Australia , i mean how can they prove it is actually you if you don`t open an account with the same bank?
They can`t know where to find you if you don`t know where you`re going to be yourself , unless of course you tell them . Is there any other way they can trace you ie taxes , etc? and can they make you pay them back anyway ?
Oh dear.

Firstly, it is so easy to be found. You give your taxfile number when you get a job, open a bank account etc, its very easy to trace you. You need 100 points of ID to open a bank account with any bank, pretty dead giveaway that its "you". Also your medicare number is recorded, when you go to the doctor, get a prescription from the chemist etc & can show where you are. So basically unless you want to live in the bush, in a grass humpy, expect to be very easily *traceable*.

As for the "can they make you pay them back anyway" comment, hmmmmm, why not just stop paying your credit card, mortgage or overdraft tommorrow & see if they can make you. I think you will find that they can .
Old Dec 18th 2003, 3:03 am

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Oh dear.

Firstly, it is so easy to be found. You give your taxfile number when you get a job, open a bank account etc, its very easy to trace you. You need 100 points of ID to open a bank account with any bank, pretty dead giveaway that its "you". Also your medicare number is recorded, when you go to the doctor, get a prescription from the chemist etc & can show where you are. So basically unless you want to live in the bush, in a grass humpy, expect to be very easily *traceable*.

As for the "can they make you pay them back anyway" comment, hmmmmm, why not just stop paying your credit card, mortgage or overdraft tommorrow & see if they can make you. I think you will find that they can .
You are correct it isn't too hard to find someone if they are living a normal life.

I realise that if you default in the UK the creditor can take you to court in the UK. Same if you default in Australia then the Australian creditor can take you to court in Australia.

Can a UK creditor take you to court over a debt provided under the UK credit law in an Australian court?

I am not advocating the 'leg it from responsibilities' idea but I am exploring what avenues are open to UK debt collectors. I also wonder what legal access UK tracers have to Australian government files. I doubt GAIN has the ability to cross reference medicare or ATO records but I wonder if they have any arrangements with Baycorp.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 5:35 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct it isn't too hard to find someone if they are living a normal life.

I realise that if you default in the UK the creditor can take you to court in the UK. Same if you default in Australia then the Australian creditor can take you to court in Australia.

Can a UK creditor take you to court over a debt provided under the UK credit law in an Australian court?

I am not advocating the 'leg it from responsibilities' idea but I am exploring what avenues are open to UK debt collectors. I also wonder what legal access UK tracers have to Australian government files. I doubt GAIN has the ability to cross reference medicare or ATO records but I wonder if they have any arrangements with Baycorp.
BP, dont know about the UK creditor/Aussie court thing, but Im guessing no.

As for the access, Im guessing that your average debt collector in the UK wont have access to any govt info etc. I was simply pointing out how easy it is for you to be traced by someone if they had a legitimate reason or avenue eg skipping your HECS debt (forgotten what its called) in the UK. I think that the difference is, that if you dont pay a debt & it goes to court & you get a ruling against you, somehow if the police/courts etc are involved, its not a simple run of the mill debt collector after you anymore, is it? All Govt departments here (centrelink/medicare/tax etc) are all able to cross reference data, so everytime you blink, someone can find you. Big Brother really is watching .

It sure as hell isnt something that I would like to be risking :scared: .
Old Dec 18th 2003, 5:48 am

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
BP, dont know about the UK creditor/Aussie court thing, but Im guessing no.

As for the access, Im guessing that your average debt collector in the UK wont have access to any govt info etc. I was simply pointing out how easy it is for you to be traced by someone if they had a legitimate reason or avenue eg skipping your HECS debt (forgotten what its called) in the UK. I think that the difference is, that if you dont pay a debt & it goes to court & you get a ruling against you, somehow if the police/courts etc are involved, its not a simple run of the mill debt collector after you anymore, is it? All Govt departments here (centrelink/medicare/tax etc) are all able to cross reference data, so everytime you blink, someone can find you. Big Brother really is watching .

It sure as hell isnt something that I would like to be risking :scared: .
In the UK Baillifs do the collecting where they can.

You are right about big brother and government departments cross referencing. The UK government is struggling with IT and just getting the basics working is a challenge let alone cross referencing. It is partly due to population size but also due to screwed up policy.

I am with you on the risk thing and I would not want to put my family in an awkward situation.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 6:18 am
Rocket Scientist

In the UK Baillifs do the collecting where they can.

You are right about big brother and government departments cross referencing. The UK government is struggling with IT and just getting the basics working is a challenge let alone cross referencing. It is partly due to population size but also due to screwed up policy.

I am with you on the risk thing and I would not want to put my family in an awkward situation.
*dumb aussie question*
So are bailiffs usually from some sort of private debt/credit agency, the police/courts or govt? I dont really know how it works here once the court gets involved & there may be fines etc, but I imagine that it wouldnt be easy to avoid them.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 7:03 am

As far as I understand if neither party can agree repayment terms then it goes to a judge who sets the terms. Not sure what will happen if they cannot serve the debtor the court order. I think only if the debtor refuses the judges terms will the debtor then be verging on criminal conduct.

Fraud is another matter but falling behind on debts is not fraud.

Baillifs are private companies that are hired to recover property owned by the debtor. The recovered property is then sold to pay off the debt. The baillifs fee will be added to the debt and the property will be sold at prices nowhere near the purchase value. To use a baillif some form of court judgment must have been issued with or without the defendant present.

A UK Baillif is useless for chasing an antipodean resident.

I do not know how private debt is recovered in Australia. I would also like to know if a note can be made on Baycorps files regarding foreign debt.