Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit cards for non-residents

Credit cards for non-residents

Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:26 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Credit cards for non-residents

Sorry if I'm asking a much repeated question - I've done a couple of searches and can't find what I'm looking for..........

Anyone out there with a Aussie Credit card who is a non-resident (ie. 457 visa holder). I keep looking at application forms for cards but they all demand that you tick a box saying you are a resident.

I bank with the National and haven't approached them yet as to waiving this bit of the form, but I am keen (obviously, in the bank-charge mad country) to get a good deal on my credit card.

Ideas or experiences please peeps!

Last edited by webgum; Jul 1st 2005 at 8:36 am.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:29 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards for non-residents

I've done the research a little while ago and the ONLY (reputable) bank I found that gives credit to non PR people is Bank West

BUT...

You do need to be a resident (or a student I think). Sorry

I've not seen a single one that offers credit to a non-resident.

Siren
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:32 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i got one with the commonwealth bank when i was on a 457 back in 2002. they refused me at first because i was a non-resident, but i had a whinge and said that their form only asked if you were a permanent resident but didn't say you had to be. they then gave me the card :-)
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:33 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I've done the research a little while ago and the ONLY (reputable) bank I found that gives credit to non PR people is Bank West

BUT...

You do need to be a resident (or a student I think). Sorry

I've not seen a single one that offers credit to a non-resident.

Siren
Thanks - bugger!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:35 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
i got one with the commonwealth bank when i was on a 457 back in 2002. they refused me at first because i was a non-resident, but i had a whinge and said that their form only asked if you were a permanent resident but didn't say you had to be. they then gave me the card :-)

Ooooh so maybe a good whinge will win you that card after all

Siren
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:37 am
kneading my cushion

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Ooooh so maybe a good whinge will win you that card after all

Siren
I am the queen of moaners (hmm sounds a bit dodgy!) so maybe I'll try that tactic.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Originally Posted by webgum
Sorry if I'm asking a much repeated question - I've done a couple of searches and can't find what I'm looking for..........

Anyone out there with a Aussie Credit card who is a non-resident (ie. 457 visa holder). I keep looking at application forms for cards but they all demand that you tick a box saying you are a resident.

I bank with the National and haven't approached them yet as to waiving this bit of the form, but I am keen (obviously, in the bank-charge mad country) to get a good deal on my credit card.

I applied for a credit card within a couple of months of being on a 457 and got accepted immediately, this was with the Commonwealth, now I just need to pay it off.
Thanks
Mandy
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:52 am
kneading my cushion

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
I applied for a credit card within a couple of months of being on a 457 and got accepted immediately, this was with the Commonwealth, now I just need to pay it off.
Thanks
Mandy
Thanks Mandy, I don't suppose you remember any resident bit on the form. It seems to be a standard box. Do you bank with them as well?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Thanks Mandy, I don't suppose you remember any resident bit on the form. It seems to be a standard box. Do you bank with them as well?
Yes I bank with them too and as I just shown them how long my visa was for and my credit card is due to expire that same month, they said if i get PR or an extension on the visa the card will just be extended to go along with it.
Mandy
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:02 am
kneading my cushion

Originally Posted by Mandyisere
Yes I bank with them too and as I just shown them how long my visa was for and my credit card is due to expire that same month, they said if i get PR or an extension on the visa the card will just be extended to go along with it.
Mandy
Perfect - that's my monday morning job sorted out then. I'll just have to bin the cards with better rates.
Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

klmar is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible to open an Aus bank account BEFORE ARRIVAL , if so with whom (preferably Melbourne based)??
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:23 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I am on a 457
Got a card from the National within a week of landing. No questions asked as they had my salary going in. Had a mortgage arranged too the week after.
Just applied for a Virgin card too (no annual fee) and simply ticked the perm resident bit. Just waiting now...............

Andrew
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:32 am
kneading my cushion

Originally Posted by andrew63
I am on a 457

Just applied for a Virgin card too (no annual fee) and simply ticked the perm resident bit. Just waiting now...............

Andrew
oh my cursor hovered over the resident box on the virgin one.. .... Should I shouldn't I - whats the worst they could do?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:53 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

oh my cursor hovered over the resident box on the virgin one.. .... Should I shouldn't I - whats the worst they could do?
I'll let you know!
They called me to verify "other" details without mentioning that and told me that the card will be ent out shortly.
That was about 10 days ago.
I'll let you know!

Andrew
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:56 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klmar
Is it possible to open an Aus bank account BEFORE ARRIVAL , if so with whom (preferably Melbourne based)??
Do a search for banking in Australia, its been done to death ABC diamond has all the details

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.