Credit cards

Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Baz777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit cards

Does anyone know if it's at all possible to get an Australian credit card without having permanent residency? The other problem is that I've only been in the country for 4 weeks now, although I have a fixed address, am fully employed, have set up a HSBC account, have 3 cards from UK, and am here on a 4year visa. I'm just fed up with being hit for conversion fees on my UK cards every time I use them.
Thanks in anticipation.
Baz
Old Feb 18th 2006, 8:23 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Credit cards

Originally Posted by Baz777
Does anyone know if it's at all possible to get an Australian credit card without having permanent residency? The other problem is that I've only been in the country for 4 weeks now, although I have a fixed address, am fully employed, have set up a HSBC account, have 3 cards from UK, and am here on a 4year visa. I'm just fed up with being hit for conversion fees on my UK cards every time I use them.
Thanks in anticipation.
Baz
I'm here on student visa and my bank (ANZ) said i could have one but would have to wait six months until I build up a credit history and they see regular money going in. I Don't want one anyway, but I asked in case!

All banks are different though, so what one says the other will say different no doubt!

Good luck.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:25 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

You can always open a bank account with a bank that gives you a Visa debit card to access your money (St George, for example) - you can then use the debit card anywhere that accepts visa.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:11 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Try Virgin Credit Card. A friend of mine on a temporary visa (work sponsored) got one. Also, they have no annual fee unlike most of the others
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:14 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshie
I'm here on student visa and my bank (ANZ) said i could have one but would have to wait six months until I build up a credit history and they see regular money going in. I Don't want one anyway, but I asked in case!

All banks are different though, so what one says the other will say different no doubt!

Good luck.
I am here on PR and ANZ said that to me too. But the credit card division is totally seperate to the banks so I said "just put the application in and see what happens". I had my card within 10 days

I didn't actually want a credt card either but the EFTPOS here is nowhere near as flexible as Switch. So you can't buy stuff online or over the phone with it. I have a credit card for convenience.

They gave me a $15k limit for starters So the first thing I did was phone them and got it reduced to $2k.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:11 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wmoore
I am here on PR and ANZ said that to me too. But the credit card division is totally seperate to the banks so I said "just put the application in and see what happens". I had my card within 10 days

I didn't actually want a credt card either but the EFTPOS here is nowhere near as flexible as Switch. So you can't buy stuff online or over the phone with it. I have a credit card for convenience.

They gave me a $15k limit for starters So the first thing I did was phone them and got it reduced to $2k.

15K!!

hubby would have a coronary if they gave me that limit!!
Old Feb 19th 2006, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore

They offer far higher amounts than that , weve had pre approved application forms come through ordinary mail , one signature and all approved, lovely if it got into the wrong hands :scared: I'd advise anyone not to throw what looks like junk mail from the bank out, take it home and burn it, shred it whatever.