Credit cards

Old Aug 4th 2005, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

mfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura about
Default Credit cards

I was wondering if I will be able to get credit card from the bank before finding work, I opened an account with HSBC, on the web site they mentioned that an income is required to apply for a credit card.

The credit card will be essential for paying for everything, any previous experiences with HSBC or other banks will be appreciated
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Credit cards

Originally Posted by mfarouk
I was wondering if I will be able to get credit card from the bank before finding work, I opened an account with HSBC, on the web site they mentioned that an income is required to apply for a credit card.

The credit card will be essential for paying for everything, any previous experiences with HSBC or other banks will be appreciated
When we initially arrived in Brisbane, we opened an account with HSBC. When I enquired about a credit card, they said because I had no Australian credit history, I could have one as long as I put the equivalent of the credit limit into an account to cover it. Sort of defeated the object of having a credit card really. Now 18 months on and I get spammail through the letterbox regularly for every kind of credit card.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

You're unlikely to get a Credit Card if you're unemployed - the only exception usually is if you have a huge amount invested somewhere generating a reasonable income for you.

Might have to wait until you get a job.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

mfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
When we initially arrived in Brisbane, we opened an account with HSBC. When I enquired about a credit card, they said because I had no Australian credit history, I could have one as long as I put the equivalent of the credit limit into an account to cover it. Sort of defeated the object of having a credit card really. Now 18 months on and I get spammail through the letterbox regularly for every kind of credit card.
that is cool , i will have money in my savings account to cover the credit limit, but did they give you the credit card while u still unemployed.
i am intersted in credit cards as a way to pay through internet, not as a source of money ,
did any one have an idea or experience about debit cards in australia
Old Aug 4th 2005, 2:17 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice

Did you try with Virgin credit?
I think its the best deal and its free unlike others start to charge after a year. I called them up and since the office is in sydney they cant get me within 2 weeks(in Melbourne) so I had to defer my plans.
Its simple put on Line request to virgin credit card division, in another 3/4 weeks you get the card (depending on your location) no hassles no worries. Not sure though the requrements of other banks.
Good luck
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pandya_m
I think its the best deal and its free unlike others start to charge after a year. I called them up and since the office is in sydney they cant get me within 2 weeks(in Melbourne) so I had to defer my plans.
Its simple put on Line request to virgin credit card division, in another 3/4 weeks you get the card (depending on your location) no hassles no worries. Not sure though the requrements of other banks.
Good luck
thanks a lot
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
You do need a job - even to get a Virgin card. You have to prove your income (show payslips etc) before they hand it over.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickyc
You do need a job - even to get a Virgin card. You have to prove your income (show payslips etc) before they hand it over.
what if i have an account with large balance ?
Sharpy67 mentioned that they give him a credit card with HSBC becuase he had an account that can cover the balance
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:00 am

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Angry Re: Credit cards

When I asked them first they never opposed the idea of issuing one when I am not having job. They were ready to give me. I did not plan since it could have taken 4 weeks.
Its something strange. I am sorry.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:04 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Commonwealth bank gave us a credit card without having jobs

Try them

R
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:21 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

St George bank (www.stgeorge.com.au) will give you a Visa debit card when you open a bank account with them (one of the main reasons I opened an account with them). Because it's a Visa card, you can use it everywhere you would a credit card (useful for the internet!), yet can get it straight away without having to have a job or credit history.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

Hi

The commonwealth bank gave us a credit card two days after we arrived offered us $1000 credit limit when we said it wasn't enough they asked us how much we wanted we asked for $5000 and got it
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Credit cards

Originally Posted by flumper
Hi

The commonwealth bank gave us a credit card two days after we arrived offered us $1000 credit limit when we said it wasn't enough they asked us how much we wanted we asked for $5000 and got it
that was bold and cool
thanks
Old Aug 5th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

When I asked them first they never opposed the idea of issuing one when I am not having job. They were ready to give me. I did not plan since it could have taken 4 weeks.
Its something strange. I am sorry.
When you apply online for a Virgin Credit Card you get presented with this on the first page:

"Before you apply for a Virgin Credit Card, you must make sure -

You are over 18 years of age
You earn more than $15,000 p.a
You are a permanent Australian resident
This will be your only Virgin Credit Card account
Yes to all of the above? Great, let's get started.

To make the application process quick and easy make sure you have:

15 minutes or so to go through the process
All 'your money' information handy (your income, credit card limits and balances, your home loan minimum costs etc)
Your work's reception phone number (so we can confirm your income if necessary)
Your drivers licence number
If you want to get an additional card, all the information of the lucky person handy
If you want to save money by doing a balance transfer, details of your other card and amount you would like to transfer.
Everything else should be available from the top of your head.
"

You can enter whatever info you like on the application - you can the truth or you can tell lies - and your application will be assessed on the information that you provide.

However, do you think that the banks are not aware that people sometimes don't disclose the full and complete truth? Accordingly, anything that can be checked, will be checked, and that includes your income. If you say you earn $50,000 a year they don't take your word for it! In the case of Virgin, if you are unknown to them or Westpac (whose money it is) they will contact you, tell you're approved (subject to ID and other checks) and then ask you to provide proof of ID and Income. It is that delay (providing this paperwork to them) that usually takes 4 weeks. Only after all paperwork has been physically eyeballed do they mail out your card.

It may well be possible to come to some personal arrangement with any bank to issue you a card under specific circumstances (ie deposit an equivalent amount in another account). But applying online (to any new bank) for a credit card is not a quick way to bypass standard credit checking.

Last edited by NickyC; Aug 5th 2005 at 1:17 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 3:20 pm

When you apply online for a Virgin Credit Card you get presented with this on the first page:

"Before you apply for a Virgin Credit Card, you must make sure -

You are over 18 years of age
You earn more than $15,000 p.a
You are a permanent Australian resident
This will be your only Virgin Credit Card account
Yes to all of the above? Great, let's get started.

To make the application process quick and easy make sure you have:

15 minutes or so to go through the process
All 'your money' information handy (your income, credit card limits and balances, your home loan minimum costs etc)
Your work's reception phone number (so we can confirm your income if necessary)
Your drivers licence number
If you want to get an additional card, all the information of the lucky person handy
If you want to save money by doing a balance transfer, details of your other card and amount you would like to transfer.
Everything else should be available from the top of your head.
"

You can enter whatever info you like on the application - you can the truth or you can tell lies - and your application will be assessed on the information that you provide.

However, do you think that the banks are not aware that people sometimes don't disclose the full and complete truth? Accordingly, anything that can be checked, will be checked, and that includes your income. If you say you earn $50,000 a year they don't take your word for it! In the case of Virgin, if you are unknown to them or Westpac (whose money it is) they will contact you, tell you're approved (subject to ID and other checks) and then ask you to provide proof of ID and Income. It is that delay (providing this paperwork to them) that usually takes 4 weeks. Only after all paperwork has been physically eyeballed do they mail out your card.

It may well be possible to come to some personal arrangement with any bank to issue you a card under specific circumstances (ie deposit an equivalent amount in another account). But applying online (to any new bank) for a credit card is not a quick way to bypass standard credit checking.
You are right, I checked the online application too.
I think there was some communication gap when I called Sydney office, between what was conveyed to me and whats actual.
Anyway I did not plan to get the credit card ( I would be defacto unqualified for it since I have no job) because it would have taken 4 weeks to reach me from Sydney after making application.
So They dont do and the notion which I had is not true.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.