Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards ????

Wikiposts

Credit Cards ????

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:04 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Credit Cards ????

Something else just suggested to me about Egg which is check to see if there is any charge for using foreign currency....!

If there is it may still come in handy for short term use until you get set up over there.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
I don't know really...

Our bank the Commonwealth said when we first got here to activate the bank account that it normally takes about 6 months to get a card because it's unsecured lending..

We only got a credit card because Myers had an interest free deal on a couple of sofas, we did't realise that you had to buy the sofas on a Myers credit card which we obviously didn't have so we applied in store and got the cards 5 days later

We were lucky too as we both had permanent work contracts within 8 weeks of getting here and that goes a long way...
were going on rsms visa and so have a job already waiting for me, hope we are as lucky as you guys then
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:25 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
were going on rsms visa and so have a job already waiting for me, hope we are as lucky as you guys then
good luck for when you arrive...
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:48 pm

Nationwide do a card that doesnt charge commission for foreign currency, might be worth looking into...

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditca...ard_abroad.htm
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:51 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bridiej
Nationwide do a card that doesnt charge commission for foreign currency, might be worth looking into...

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditca...ard_abroad.htm
I can see Bridiej is on a mission!

Rob
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Maybe I'm being stupid, but if you keep your UK credit card but use it in Oz, you'll get hit by the foreign exchange on every transaction.....and maybe even an additional charge? I know I stopped using my credit card abroad as the exchange rate and charges were out of order.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just in answer to a couple of comments/points made on this thread ......

We kept our UK credit cards when we moved to Oz, they were with BarclayCard & MBNA, we were up front with them that we were moving to Australia, changed address with them & statements got sent directly to here. We also kept a bank account open with First Direct, in fact we still have it 4 years later. We cancelled the UK CC's when we got a mortgage & now have an aussie one.

Also, after living in Oz for 3.5 years, we decided to go back to the UK on a holiday late last year. To make things easy re the foreign money/exchange thing, we applied for a UK credit card with First Direct whilst living in Australia, & got one. We had some money in the UK bank account (First Direct) but no other ties to the UK whatsoever, but obviously simply the fact that we didnt live in the UK wasn't a problem.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Mar 3rd 2005 at 9:49 am. Reason: Wrong Banks & Credit Cards! *doh*
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 10:25 am
blossom

[QUOTE=chaleyscott]surely if you try and get a credit card in the UK now and tell them you are moving to Oz they won't give it to you. I would have thought they wouldn't be covered as, of course, any of us could 'disappear'.

QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you NEVER disappear. When we lived in Oz, a newly migrated couple joined our circle of friends, and the husband was bragging about how they had gone on a wild shopping spree just before they left UK, all on the plastic. Obviously thought that they would never catch up with them.

He was as sick as a parrot within 5 months when they caught up with them and demanded payment!

All banks / shops / credit card companies etc will catch you up eventually.

Blossom

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

chaleyscott will become famous soon enoughchaleyscott will become famous soon enough

Wouldn't want to do it myself as I wouldn't want to burn my bridges with the UK should I decide to come back. I am sure if you don't pay stuff off then 'disappear' you will have CCJs galore when you return and thus no chance of a mortgage/credit. However, I am extremely surprised that they caught up with your friend in Oz. Did he leave his new address with all his neighbours or something daft like that?! Or did he try and open an account out there with the same company he stitched up inthe Uk.

[QUOTE=blossom]
Originally Posted by chaleyscott
surely if you try and get a credit card in the UK now and tell them you are moving to Oz they won't give it to you. I would have thought they wouldn't be covered as, of course, any of us could 'disappear'.

QUOTE]

Unfortunately, you NEVER disappear. When we lived in Oz, a newly migrated couple joined our circle of friends, and the husband was bragging about how they had gone on a wild shopping spree just before they left UK, all on the plastic. Obviously thought that they would never catch up with them.

He was as sick as a parrot within 5 months when they caught up with them and demanded payment!

Blossom
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:42 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Blossom [/QUOTE]
That's actually quite interesting, is there some kind of reciprocal agreement between the Uk and Oz to chase the b*stards who disappear without paying up? Thus CC companies hiking their interest rates up to cover bad debt.... then we all end up paying??
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Judes2308
Maybe I'm being stupid, but if you keep your UK credit card but use it in Oz, you'll get hit by the foreign exchange on every transaction.....and maybe even an additional charge? I know I stopped using my credit card abroad as the exchange rate and charges were out of order.
No commission fees with the Nationwide card...

Last edited by bridiej; Mar 3rd 2005 at 7:28 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:00 pm
blossom

Blossom
That's actually quite interesting, is there some kind of reciprocal agreement between the Uk and Oz to chase the b*stards who disappear without paying up? Thus CC companies hiking their interest rates up to cover bad debt.... then we all end up paying??[/QUOTE]

Not sure, perhaps someone from the Finance sector could answer this, but I think it is global - doesn't matter where in the world you run the debt up, they will catch up with you. It'sall about Big Brother now - anyone anywhere can get your details. Just think about now when you apply for a loan or cc, they do a credit check on you and its all there! So be warned, cos you wouldn't wantto end up with a bad credit rating, especially if you are starting a new life in Oz or returning to UK to start again - they know who and where you are!

And yes, this probably accounts for the high rates of interest we are all charged. Obviously companies incur extra expense tracking you down, and then extracting the money from you.

Blossom

Blossom

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:04 pm
blossom

Originally Posted by chaleyscott
Wouldn't want to do it myself as I wouldn't want to burn my bridges with the UK should I decide to come back. I am sure if you don't pay stuff off then 'disappear' you will have CCJs galore when you return and thus no chance of a mortgage/credit. However, I am extremely surprised that they caught up with your friend in Oz. Did he leave his new address with all his neighbours or something daft like that?! Or did he try and open an account out there with the same company he stitched up inthe Uk.

I think they found him through is taxfile number, but I'm not sure. Likewise here, they would find you once you went on the electoral role - perhaps this is another method they use to track you down. But he definitely wouldn't have been on the electoral role in Oz when they caught up with him.

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

good luck for when you arrive...

thankyou
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by madsad
not digging at all mate, i done it really early without even knowing if we had the visa's, it just meant when the time came we could transfer our brass.

If you are leaving it until you get here, we have found Westpac to be excellent.
hi donna/malc,

never heard of westpac, are they good and do they have credit cards etc?
hope you guys are ok and settling in.
Trish

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.