Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards ????

Wikiposts

Credit Cards ????

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:57 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Cards ????

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Not really a credit card comment here but a financial one all the same. I've just tried to start up an Oz bank account here in the UK. I leave in two weeks and am completing on my house on Monday - thus homeless for two weeks (in essence).

I've just found out that I've got diddly-sqwat chance of opening an account until I get my first rented accomodation.

Not a major problem as we'll use our existing credit cards until we get an account and transfer our money over. Just means a bit more legwork in the first couple of days over there.

oh well - you live and learn!

Rob
When you arrive in Australia, all you need to open a bank account (within 6 weeks of arrving) is your passport..most banks will also offer you a credit card, but as previously stated, it'll be a low credit limit.
ANZ do an account with a $5 service fee per month, which means you can do as much transactions as you want, ATM, EFTPOS etc...however if you take money from an ATM other than the bank you are with, you will be charged !!!!
The best way is to use the credit card for most of your day to day things like petrol, shopping etc, then pay off at the end of the month..

hope this helps
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:05 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by walla1
we opened an account with the Commonwealth in the UK 8 weeks before we got out here, easy peasy..
Unfortunately we were umming and ahhing 6 weeks ago!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:06 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, just spoke to Egg and you can apply for a card whilst you're still in the UK, you can use it when you move to Oz but you need to leave them a UK address - maybe your parents / brother / sister / close friend. You can still set up direct debit payment and make payments on line.

The only downside is that if a new card is issued it will be sent to the UK address, although I dont see it as a problem as you could just get your contact to forward it over to you.

Hope this helps!

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:07 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a credit card comment here but a financial one all the same. I've just tried to start up an Oz bank account here in the UK. I leave in two weeks and am completing on my house on Monday - thus homeless for two weeks (in essence).

I've just found out that I've got diddly-sqwat chance of opening an account until I get my first rented accomodation.

Not a major problem as we'll use our existing credit cards until we get an account and transfer our money over. Just means a bit more legwork in the first couple of days over there.

oh well - you live and learn!

Rob
We opened an account with Westpac online, with one phone call required to confirm it, that was 8 months before we left, it was easy.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:08 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
When you arrive in Australia, all you need to open a bank account (within 6 weeks of arrving) is your passport..most banks will also offer you a credit card, but as previously stated, it'll be a low credit limit.
ANZ do an account with a $5 service fee per month, which means you can do as much transactions as you want, ATM, EFTPOS etc...however if you take money from an ATM other than the bank you are with, you will be charged !!!!
The best way is to use the credit card for most of your day to day things like petrol, shopping etc, then pay off at the end of the month..

hope this helps
Thanks for this - that's why we weren't too concerned about not opening an account before leaving.

That said, as long as you turn up at a bank with your passports, will you get an account there and then? Will we not have to take old bank statements, etc? I presume it will take a working week to get an account active from first making contact with them?

Thanks,

Rob
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:08 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately we were umming and ahhing 6 weeks ago!
still time to open one surely, only takes a couple of days........
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:10 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by madsad
We opened an account with Westpac online, with one phone call required to confirm it, that was 8 months before we left, it was easy.
Ok ok, I can see a few digs coming in here!

If we were umming and ahhing 6 weeks ago you can imagine that 8 months ago we were off with the pixies!

in hindsight, it may have been easier to have got the bank account sorted earlier, but nevermind - in my world plastic is king!

Rob
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:10 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this - that's why we weren't too concerned about not opening an account before leaving.

That said, as long as you turn up at a bank with your passports, will you get an account there and then? Will we not have to take old bank statements, etc? I presume it will take a working week to get an account active from first making contact with them?

Thanks,

Rob
No Rob, you dont need to bring anything other than yourself and your passports..its strangly easy...your pretty much starting afresh here, which can be a good thing or a bad thing for you
good luck anyway !!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:12 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by walla1
still time to open one surely, only takes a couple of days........
Timeframe isn't a problem the 'homeless' part is!

Spoke to HSBC this morning and they won't touch us because we've sold our house and are living at the mother-in-law's. Thus no proof of current residence!

Rob
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:14 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Ok ok, I can see a few digs coming in here!

If we were umming and ahhing 6 weeks ago you can imagine that 8 months ago we were off with the pixies!

in hindsight, it may have been easier to have got the bank account sorted earlier, but nevermind - in my world plastic is king!

Rob
not digging at all mate, i done it really early without even knowing if we had the visa's, it just meant when the time came we could transfer our brass.

If you are leaving it until you get here, we have found Westpac to be excellent.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:19 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

not digging at all mate, i done it really early without even knowing if we had the visa's, it just meant when the time came we could transfer our brass.

If you are leaving it until you get here, we have found Westpac to be excellent.
>right off topic<

How's Oz treating you guys? enjoying it?
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:20 pm
Keeping it fairly real

Timeframe isn't a problem the 'homeless' part is!

Spoke to HSBC this morning and they won't touch us because we've sold our house and are living at the mother-in-law's. Thus no proof of current residence!

Rob
no worries Rob, it's easy enough when you get here anyway....
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:26 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

No worries I know you weren't digging!

To bring the hijacked thread back to the original point ...

Although the credit cards the banks offer you on arrival won't give you huge credit it would certainly be worth taking it. Even if you're not a regular credit card user, you should try and use it and pay it off, etc as this will help build a credit history.

not brain science and it won't give you massive credit short term but should see you right in years to come.

Rob
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:31 pm
joveazey

No worries I know you weren't digging!

To bring the hijacked thread back to the original point ...

Although the credit cards the banks offer you on arrival won't give you huge credit it would certainly be worth taking it. Even if you're not a regular credit card user, you should try and use it and pay it off, etc as this will help build a credit history.

not brain science and it won't give you massive credit short term but should see you right in years to come.

Rob
Hi, we've already sorted the Commonwealth account and as far as I am aware we just turn up with our passports to activate it. Surely they will give us a credit card - all our money will be in the bank, surely that's a guarantee ?

Jo

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:48 pm
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi, we've already sorted the Commonwealth account and as far as I am aware we just turn up with our passports to activate it. Surely they will give us a credit card - all our money will be in the bank, surely that's a guarantee ?

Jo
not with us and we transfered quite a bit.....although we didn't push the matter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.