Reload this Page >

Credit Cards ????

Credit Cards ????

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough
Default Credit Cards ????

Hi all,
I havnt had a credit card for years as i prefer to deal in cash, but ive read lots of threads saying people use credit cards alot in OZ. Any views on the best ones and to whether to get one here in in OZ.
Cheers
Damian
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:34 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Cards ????

Originally Posted by FITCHETT FAMILY
Hi all,
I havnt had a credit card for years as i prefer to deal in cash, but ive read lots of threads saying people use credit cards alot in OZ. Any views on the best ones and to whether to get one here in in OZ.
Cheers
Damian
We're getting one before we go...as we won't have any credit rating in oz to get a decent limit. We're gonna need a big one to buy all the 'gubbins' we want ....sorry that I want!! We're keeping our uk bank account to pay it off as and when. Not sure which one we're gonna get yet tho.

Petra
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:38 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I have started a thread off on my board about credit cards:

http://s9.invisionfree.com/Piggy_Bank/index.php?act=idx

Could of suggestions on there already...
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks folks,
ANYBOBY ELSE WITH THOUGHTS ??
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:26 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Thanks folks,
I'm going to use my existing credit card for the day-to-day stuff as taking money out from ATM's etc, is expensive (you get charged for each transaction).

So stick everything on the plastic and then make one withdrawal at the end of the month!

when in Oz, we'll hunt around for an alternative card, although with no credit history we might as well stick with our current ones for the forseeable future!

Rob
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Virgin is what I use (mastercard) as it's the only one that dosn't have an annual fee associated with it.
No airmiles or other gifts either but I don't think it's worth paying a fee for something i don't really wnat.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Virgin is what I use (mastercard) as it's the only one that dosn't have an annual fee associated with it.
No airmiles or other gifts either but I don't think it's worth paying a fee for something i don't really wnat.
This mght sound daft to some of you but.....
How do you go about paying your ur bill off if you have a UK credit card. When you move to OZ do you inform your supplier of your change of address to OZ ?
If I were to try and apply for a credit card from UK should i inform them of my move to OZ ???
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:13 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

This mght sound daft to some of you but.....
How do you go about paying your ur bill off if you have a UK credit card. When you move to OZ do you inform your supplier of your change of address to OZ ?
If I were to try and apply for a credit card from UK should i inform them of my move to OZ ???

We're keeping our uk bank account. When we've 'bent' the card a bit we're going to just transfer some money online from our bank account to the credit card company to pay it off. Then I'll go an bend it some more!!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:30 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks,
we paid off our credit cards in the uk before coming out...

we were here 5 months and got our first card at the first time of asking, not much of a limit at first thou..
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

chaleyscott will become famous soon enoughchaleyscott will become famous soon enough

surely if you try and get a credit card in the UK now and tell them you are moving to Oz they won't give it to you. I would have thought they wouldn't be covered as, of course, any of us could 'disappear'.

I don't have a credit card here at the moment and would need one over there for the first few months for rent etc. What sort of credit limit can you expect from an Oz credit card when you first arrive??

Originally Posted by walla1
we paid off our credit cards in the uk before coming out...

we were here 5 months and got our first card at the first time of asking, not much of a limit at first thou..
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:35 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaleyscott
surely if you try and get a credit card in the UK now and tell them you are moving to Oz they won't give it to you. I would have thought they wouldn't be covered as, of course, any of us could 'disappear'.

I don't have a credit card here at the moment and would need one over there for the first few months for rent etc. What sort of credit limit can you expect from an Oz credit card when you first arrive??
2 thousand bucks, which aint much.....
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

hi, so although the credit limit isnt that great, is it relatively easy to get accepted for a credit card when first out there?
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:48 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimtrish
hi, so although the credit limit isnt that great, is it relatively easy to get accepted for a credit card when first out there?
Not really a credit card comment here but a financial one all the same. I've just tried to start up an Oz bank account here in the UK. I leave in two weeks and am completing on my house on Monday - thus homeless for two weeks (in essence).

I've just found out that I've got diddly-sqwat chance of opening an account until I get my first rented accomodation.

Not a major problem as we'll use our existing credit cards until we get an account and transfer our money over. Just means a bit more legwork in the first couple of days over there.

oh well - you live and learn!

Rob
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:53 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by jimtrish
I don't know really...

Our bank the Commonwealth said when we first got here to activate the bank account that it normally takes about 6 months to get a card because it's unsecured lending..

We only got a credit card because Myers had an interest free deal on a couple of sofas, we did't realise that you had to buy the sofas on a Myers credit card which we obviously didn't have so we applied in store and got the cards 5 days later

We were lucky too as we both had permanent work contracts within 8 weeks of getting here and that goes a long way...
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:54 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Not really a credit card comment here but a financial one all the same. I've just tried to start up an Oz bank account here in the UK. I leave in two weeks and am completing on my house on Monday - thus homeless for two weeks (in essence).

I've just found out that I've got diddly-sqwat chance of opening an account until I get my first rented accomodation.

Not a major problem as we'll use our existing credit cards until we get an account and transfer our money over. Just means a bit more legwork in the first couple of days over there.

oh well - you live and learn!

Rob
we opened an account with the Commonwealth in the UK 8 weeks before we got out here, easy peasy..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.