Credit Cards

Old Nov 13th 2004, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Me Here is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Cards

Hi,

We've just moved to Australia and need to get credit cards. When you try to register online for one you need to give details of somebody not living at your address, like a friend or relative. Does this mean that the person takes responsibility for your credit card debt, or is it just to make sure you are who you say you are? We don't want to ask one of our new friends if we can put them down if they would be taking responsibility.

Thanks

Me
Old Nov 13th 2004, 12:55 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Cards

Originally Posted by Me Here
Hi,

We've just moved to Australia and need to get credit cards. When you try to register online for one you need to give details of somebody not living at your address, like a friend or relative. Does this mean that the person takes responsibility for your credit card debt, or is it just to make sure you are who you say you are? We don't want to ask one of our new friends if we can put them down if they would be taking responsibility.

Thanks

Me
If you dont want to suggest one of your friends may i suggest the following.

Mr Donald Trump
Trump Towers
Trumpton
TR UMP

Dont know to be honest, but many will, await more sensible answers.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 1:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks

Me
It is help track you down if you default on your debt. The CC company cannot ask your friend for the money.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 1:38 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that it's simply a personal reference to show that you are who you say you are.

If they wanted protection for your credit, they'd ask for a co-signer who would take responsibility if you default.

Siren
Old Nov 13th 2004, 1:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

They may possibly write to that person and check that you are who you say you are, but I was told really they just want to see that there is someone in Australia that you know and can vouch for you. (yet another way of preventing new migrants from getting credit!) They don't have to be responsible for the debt.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They may possibly write to that person and check that you are who you say you are, but I was told really they just want to see that there is someone in Australia that you know and can vouch for you. (yet another way of preventing new migrants from getting credit!) They don't have to be responsible for the debt.

hi pollyanna,

so, is it hard to get credit cards out there then, or any sort of credit?
cheers

Trish
Old Nov 13th 2004, 2:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
hi pollyanna,

so, is it hard to get credit cards out there then, or any sort of credit?
cheers

Trish
Main problem is you start from scratch with no credit rating. After that a lot depends on your visa - if you have PR its not so bad - see previous thread on credit cards. However, I'm on the temp part of a spouse visa, no PR for another 15 months or so. We can't get a mortgage without a hefty deposit (even though the Bloke is an Aussie), I can't get a loan, and only one place would give me a credit card- I've had an account there for 2 years, but because I am no PR yet, they still turned me down - took the intervention of one of the staff, who went to school with The Bloke - to get the decision reversed, as he said he would vouch for the family.

Its not as easy as the UK though - they want all the ins and outs of your finances, car ownership, any other assets - the form took 30 minutes to fill in - and that was the staff guy doing it! I also needed pay slips, rent book, statements cos I admitted I still had a UK account, and a copy of my contract from work! For a credit limit of $2000!
Old Nov 13th 2004, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks

Me
I work with Credit Card applications. This question is asked of everyone and is not aimed at new migrants in particular. The automated system I work with does no checking of the actual address - it just verifies that one is provided and whatever you put there has no bearing whatever on whether you get a card or not. You can use the name/address of people overseas if you need to.

The people you name on the application are not responsible for your debt and are not contacted at the time of application. They would only be contacted in a collections situation (if you subsequently defaulted on your payments and changed your address) to verify your whereabouts or to assist in finding you.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
I work with Credit Card applications. This question is asked of everyone and is not aimed at new migrants in particular. The automated system I work with does no checking of the actual address - it just verifies that one is provided and whatever you put there has no bearing whatever on whether you get a card or not. You can use the name/address of people overseas if you need to.

The people you name on the application are not responsible for your debt and are not contacted at the time of application. They would only be contacted in a collections situation (if you subsequently defaulted on your payments and changed your address) to verify your whereabouts or to assist in finding you.
nicky,

so how hard/easy is it for us migrants ( soon to be) to get credit cards?

trish
Old Nov 13th 2004, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
nicky,

so how hard/easy is it for us migrants ( soon to be) to get credit cards?

trish
Automated card applications are 'scored', which is based on various bits of info you supply (things like age, occupation, time at employment amongst others). Applications that get a high enough score, pass the affordability test (you must have enough surplus income, allowing for dependents, to be able to afford the repayments on the card) and have no adverse Credit Bureau report will usually get one. As a new migrant you'll have a clean Bureau report here, regardless of what is was like in the UK! The limit will vary and that's usually dependent on score, income and affordability too. You have to fulfil the FTRA (100-point id) rules plus verify the income you stated, before the card is handed over.

Specific scorecard criteria is well-guarded by the banks, but most will include some check on the length of time you've been at your current address or length of time you've been at your current employer. Even you score low on these items (which you will as new migrants) does not mean you're automatically refused a card. There are other items, not based on time here, that can mean your score is high enough. You're no different (in the system's eyes) from a true-blue Aussie who's just changed their job and moved address.

You're likely to have most trouble in verifying your income, because usually banks want to eyeball a few payslips before being happy your income is what you said it is.

I'd definitely recommend applying for a card with the bank that you have an account with, rather than trying some other provider. Existing customers have a far easier time than new customers, as they're not such an unknown quantity.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 4:27 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can wait out a while it may be worth waiting for some more fee free credit cards. Every CC I have seen offered by the banks has an annual fee.

I currently use Virgin's mastercard which is fee free. It is administered by Westpac who charge $30 a year for a similiar product. I do not spend enough to be bothered with points.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 4:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
If you can wait out a while it may be worth waiting for some more fee free credit cards. Every CC I have seen offered by the banks has an annual fee.

I currently use Virgin's mastercard which is fee free. It is administered by Westpac who charge $30 a year for a similiar product. I do not spend enough to be bothered with points.
That Virgin Card does appear to be very good, with no fee, and a Low interest rate for those who use the credit part.

If you spend a lot on credit cards, I would recommend the ANZ one.
We pay a $48 annual fee, but on average we get back $150 per year in Myers vouchers, in exchange for the points we get. But that is with spendig $30,000 per on the card

Old Nov 13th 2004, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

We have a virgin mastercard, and they are very good. the staff are always very helpful and supportive when you phone them. In stark contrast, we also had an HSBC card which has been ceremoniously dumped!!!
Because of all our hassles with our HSBC account and them blocking our bpay system because of their cock ups, we had no way of paying our virgin credit card a few weeks ago. The Virgin staff were fantastic. we werent charged interest for overdue payment and they were quite happy to wait for HSBC to pull their finger out.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I had no problems getting a credit card (PR) from my bank (National), got a nice credit limit (several thousand dollars), however I put my dad (U.K.) down for a contact. However it depends if you have a job and regular money arriving in your australian account. I just see credit cards as emergencies only.............
Old Nov 13th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
We have a virgin mastercard, and they are very good. the staff are always very helpful and supportive when you phone them. In stark contrast, we also had an HSBC card which has been ceremoniously dumped!!!
Because of all our hassles with our HSBC account and them blocking our bpay system because of their cock ups, we had no way of paying our virgin credit card a few weeks ago. The Virgin staff were fantastic. we werent charged interest for overdue payment and they were quite happy to wait for HSBC to pull their finger out.
I currently have a virgin card in the UK. Can I simply transfer it to an OZ one when we move or do I have to reapply ? Anyone know ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.