Credit Cards

Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

cruisey is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Credit Cards

Hi,

I use a Visa credit card here in the UK to buy just about everything. When we go to Oz we won't have jobs, and hence (I believe) won't be eligible for a credit card.

However, we do have Oz HSBC bank cards with Maestro, Cirrus, giroPost and eftpos logos on the back. Will this be good enough to get by (petrol, food, bills etc.)? Are they widely used and therefore we won't need a credit card??

Thanks !!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:53 pm
WBB

Default Re: Credit Cards

Originally posted by cruisey
Hi,

I use a Visa credit card here in the UK to buy just about everything. When we go to Oz we won't have jobs, and hence (I believe) won't be eligible for a credit card.

However, we do have Oz HSBC bank cards with Maestro, Cirrus, giroPost and eftpos logos on the back. Will this be good enough to get by (petrol, food, bills etc.)? Are they widely used and therefore we won't need a credit card??

Thanks !!

i think they are similar to a debit card here in the UK, you can only spend what is in your account (or overdraft)

a credit card has a little bit more flexibility and i will miss mine.

Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i think they are similar to a debit card here in the UK, you can only spend what is in your account (or overdraft)

a credit card has a little bit more flexibility and i will miss mine.
Cheers. Are these logos widely accepted in Oz, just like the Visa/Mastercard logo??
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:56 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cruisey
Hi,

Thanks !!
EFTPOS - you are fine, comes out straight away - work it like switch...and it is perfect for all sorts, only issue I ever had was at the cinema, they want credit card or cash at the big ones.

I still say I want to switch it! you also get extra cash out with EFTPOS when buying items, shopping bill plus a hundred cash...saves on ATM bills.

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 1:59 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Sandra
EFTPOS - you are fine, comes out straight away - work it like switch...and it is perfect for all sorts, only issue I ever had was at the cinema, they want credit card or cash at the big ones.

I still say I want to switch it! you also get extra cash out with EFTPOS when buying items, shopping bill plus a hundred cash...saves on ATM bills.

Cheers
But don't call it cashback, or you'll just get a funny look...in Adelaide anyway

"can i get $50 cashback please"?

"erm.....come again??????"

Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PeteY
But don't call it cashback, or you'll just get a funny look...in Adelaide anyway

"can i get $50 cashback please"?

"erm.....come again??????"

Yep, agree with all the posts - EFTPOS is the way to go. It is similar to switch but different in that the money is transferred from buyer to seller's account the minute you hit return on the keyboard in the store. Another thing to get used to (in Victoria anyway) is 'do you want fly buys'? at the cash register (ie air miles). I would have thought that like the UK they will be queueing up to give anyone a credit card - might be wrong.

OzTennis
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:23 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

'fly buys?' - that is the question, but only in certain stores.

and no as a blow in you have the 100 point check and even then they can say no. So My advice if you need a little credit hold on to the UK card, leave some money in the UK account to pay for it! And then wait 3-6 months, if you don't need it after that why get credit, if you do pay it off at least every 3 months!

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

There is, of course, nothing to stop you using your UK credit card until it expires. So long as the account is open and you can pay it off (eg. over the internet) you can even update your credit card and never have an Australian one if you really want.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

In Britain you can oly get cashback in £5 multiples. Sometimes in Oz we would use EFTPOS at a local shop to get an odd amount of cash out like $12.50 to pay for something specific without having to take out a A$20 bill from the ATM. This was about 6 years ago, and it was often useful as i would always spend the change from a full bill. Is it still possible?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. This forum is much more interesting than doing my work on a Friday afternoon..

Last edited by cruisey; Nov 24th 2003 at 9:39 am.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:23 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by CHnJ
In Britain you can oly get cashback in £5 multiples. Sometimes in Oz we would use EFTPOS at a local shop to get an odd amount of cash out like $12.50 to pay for something specific without having to take out a A$20 bill from the ATM. This was about 6 years ago, and it was often useful as i would always spend the change from a full bill. Is it still possible?
Because of the ATM charges in AUS you tend to use one transaction to save, eg shopping and cash back counts as one, I get larger amount out (Goodness help grannys and muggings) but you can get any amount out you want yes, inclduing 12.50!

Cheers
Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are planning on using our UK credit cards over there until we get established.
You can access your account online if you have a Barclaycard and you can see what your balance is and also pay online. Just remember to check when the payment is due to avoid interest charges!

Internet banking is a great invention, paying your bills from 10 000 miles away will be wierd.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

If using your UK credit card abroad for a long period don't forget to mention to the CC company that you are going abroad. Otherwise when they see a change in your spending pattern they may put a stop on your card and you will end up having to ring them at considerable cost.

Rob

Last edited by Gill and Rob; Nov 22nd 2003 at 12:46 am.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:06 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
and no as a blow in you have the 100 point check and even then they can say no.
Cheers
Sorry to appear thick, but what does this mean?? I have heard mention of a 100 point check before but never got round to asking what it meant!!
Sue
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:12 pm
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

What do you ask for if you want cashback then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.