Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Credit Card on a 457 visa

Credit Card on a 457 visa

Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:33 am
Just Joined

jonnydynamite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit Card on a 457 visa

Hi, can anyone recommend a company who will give me a credit card on a 457 visa?! I bank with Westpac and they've just turned me down and I've previously been turned down by Virgin and another one (I think it was an ANZ frequent flyer one). I am on a salary of $85,000 and have already saved $8000 in my first 6 months here so I was convinced Westpac would be able to look at my account and judge me not to be a credit risk but apparently not. I've got an excellent credit history in the UK and obviously nothing here so it's a bit frustrating!

Thanks

Nick
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Card on a 457 visa

Surprised they are giving you such a hard time. We got our first credit card over here with Aussie on a 457 - haven't had any problems with it. No idea what the interest rate is on it as we always clear it when we get the statement, but they def allow them to people on a 457.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

A mate of mine got one with the Commonwealth bank while on a 457
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

I got one with the ANZ, but only the lowest one "First Days" it was called.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:06 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Do you actually need credit or just a card for shopping, internet etc?

The master card with Commbank is effectively what a debit card is in England.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have PR and did not even try to get a credit card yet as I assumed I would be turned down for having no Australian history. I am not at all frustrated by it though, I understand their position, we just got visa debit instead.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

I got turned down for a citybank platinum one despite having a perfect credit record, more than the requisite income and cash from a house sale on deposit, they didn't seem to understand that my last years tax return indicated about $20k income because I arrived late in the tax year.

Not bothered since as I don't need the credit and my Visa Debit works everywhere, although I'm meaning to check out if the various frequent flyer points make it worthwhile (the majority of credit cards here have $200+ annual fee).
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Amex won't issue cards to 457s AFAIK, so that may be why. I got a Commbank Mastercard on a WHV as far as I can remember, but that was pre-GFC. I was turned down for a Commbank Amex while I was on a 457.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I got a visa from CBA with a crappy credit limit whilst on 457. Hubby just been turned down for Woolies FF card. Both on pretty good salaries, and now been PR for 2 years +. It's really frustrating, but my guess is that if you don't have a debt history (we always pay stuff off, and haven't had any loans in Oz) then you're a bit stuffed. I just want a credit card with enough limit to pay for flight tickets home ($12K) You have to limit the number of applications you make, as this can count against you.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Lack of credit history is unlikely to be the cause of being turned down for a card. The system here is not like the UK where you need to have a 'good' credit history. In Australia, 'good' history is not kept - just 'bad'.

Being turned down is more likely to be caused by a short time at your address, a short time at your employment (ie you cannot prove any stability yet) or low excess income available for repayments. Credit card companies will take into account your existing commitments plus any kids you have (that you need to feed) before working out what you can afford to repay. If it's not enough - they won't give you a card.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be careful when you apply as they do a check every time. The more checks on the system, the more it means to them that:
  1. You're applying for too much credit and will become a liability
  2. You have been turned down by other companies and so are a potential risk
As said previously, it's not your credit history they look at, it's your income vs expenses/liabilities. The system records the number of "credit checks" done over a period of time so it is not in your interest to apply willy-nilly...

We got an ANZ FF CC on a 457 pre GFC. His Lordship was on a perm contract though and on good money, we had no other liabilities and after jumping through a few hoops, they gave it to us. After that they kept offering to increase our limit, upgraded us to a platinum at no extra cost and keep wanting us to spend more

We applied for a 0% balance transfer card last year with Bankwest. We are now PR and have a mortgage. They gave us a $32,000 credit limit!!! We only asked for $10,000

This year, NAB will only give us $8,000 limit on a 0% transfer CC, most probably because we still have the $32k limit with Bankwest although we only have about $4k owing on it... I fully expect that we'll get a higher limit once we close the Bankwest one and so only are left with the $8k maximum potential credit.

This goes to show that it's often based on what they think you can or can't repay than on credit history.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnydynamite
Hi, can anyone recommend a company who will give me a credit card on a 457 visa?! I bank with Westpac and they've just turned me down and I've previously been turned down by Virgin and another one (I think it was an ANZ frequent flyer one). I am on a salary of $85,000 and have already saved $8000 in my first 6 months here so I was convinced Westpac would be able to look at my account and judge me not to be a credit risk but apparently not. I've got an excellent credit history in the UK and obviously nothing here so it's a bit frustrating!

Thanks

Nick
Three years ago whilst on a 457 I got one off Westpac who I also bank with no problem - only a low credit limit one, just to help pay out of pocket work expenses until they pay my expense account. I applied in person at the branch the account is at.

My approach to this type of think is just to ask for a credit card without high lighting 457 visa. If they ask about visa status or you have to sign to the effect them tell them. If not - dont worry, normally they are only bothered about getting the commission for signing you up.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:50 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

When we were on the 457 we had both a Mastercard and an Amex with Westpac - they offered, we didn't even need to ask! We asked for a low limit of $2000, but had to up it by $500 to cover school uniform! They asked me if I wanted to up it to $10,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I got a credit card about 2 months after arriving here on a 457. ANZ were happy if income was over $50,000 for those who didn't have PR. I was the basic 'first credit card'/low annual fee one.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We got a CBA one immediately on a temp visa, but with a low limit. We can't get the limit increased because we're retired, no regular income, just money in the bank when we need it. They don't take any notice of how much you spend and pay off regularly, just want to know what your regular income is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.