Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Creatures of the deep

Creatures of the deep

Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:52 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Creatures of the deep

Ok, maybe not so deep, but i have found a new hobby today. Went snorkelling and loved it.
My main concern is that i have no idea what creatures ar ound the shores of Sydney i should steer clear of and not touch!! Is there a website or guide to for this anywhere?

I saw a sign today saying blue ringed octopus had been found where i was swimming. Although i have heard of them i have no idea what they look like.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:09 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Creatures of the deep

It's a small octopus with - and this may surprise you - blue rings.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:52 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Creatures of the deep

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's a small octopus with - and this may surprise you - blue rings.

OK smartarse i had gathered that!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:53 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
OK smartarse i had gathered that!
Check this out !!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by wargod
Check this out !!

Ahhh thankyou for that. And judging by those pics they can look remarkably different. Seem to be varying different colours too!!
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Ok, maybe not so deep, but i have found a new hobby today. Went snorkelling and loved it.
My main concern is that i have no idea what creatures ar ound the shores of Sydney i should steer clear of and not touch!! Is there a website or guide to for this anywhere?

I saw a sign today saying blue ringed octopus had been found where i was swimming. Although i have heard of them i have no idea what they look like.
The blue ringed octopus is a known killer. Most people die when they pick them and place them in the hand to admire. They have a beak which injects the poison.

http://www.earlham.edu/~sheedjo/blue-ringedoctopus.htm

From this (US) website:
"What to do if you get bit!

The bite of the blue-ringed octopus may be painless but it is definetly deadly. Its venom contains some maculotoxin which is more violent than any animals found on land. This poisen is 10,000 times more potent that cyanide. Upon being bitten, the victom's nerve conduction is stopped and paralysis sets in after a few minutes. Paralysis is then followed by death. Some symtoms are as follows:

*Nausea

*Blindness

*Loss of all other senses

If you do see someone get bit you should immediatly call 911, and then apply compresion to the wound as if it was a snake bite. Artificial respiration should also be started as soon as possible. The only way to survive is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poisin has worked its way out of the system. There is no anit-venom to date.

Quick Facts

The blue rings are only visible when the Blue-ringed octopus is about to atack
It has a tiny, parrot like, beak that can bite through your wetsuit
The Blue-ringed octopus is only the size of a golf ball but still carries enough poisin to kill 26 humans in minutes
The poisin is not injected but comes from it's saliva
They are found in shallow coral and rock pools in Australia"

A bit pointless calling 911, the yanks would think you were mad!

WW

Last edited by wanderingwombat; Dec 19th 2005 at 10:40 am.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:38 am
Banned

I'm slowly being put off my new hobby :scared:

Thats why i need some sort of guide to local sealife. Otherwise i'll be too frightened to touch anything
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

The wobbegong shark is considered safe to touch but they do have other relatives who arent so playful. :scared:

WW
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

"The only way to survive is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison has worked its way out of the system"

Hubby recently did a 1st aid course and the problem is that people give up on the respiration too soon, basically the person is unable to breathe etc, and people stand around saying they're a gonner, but they are fully aware of what is going on and are unable to communicate.
So in theory you should do cpr for 4 to 8 hours, hopefully the ambos will turn up sometime
Old Dec 19th 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Larissa
"The only way to survive is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison has worked its way out of the system"

Hubby recently did a 1st aid course and the problem is that people give up on the respiration too soon, basically the person is unable to breathe etc, and people stand around saying they're a gonner, but they are fully aware of what is going on and are unable to communicate.
So in theory you should do cpr for 4 to 8 hours, hopefully the ambos will turn up sometime
The spines on a stone fish found in northern waters have been known to penetrate the soles of steel capped boots :scared:

Those who die from the sting, do so by drowning due to the excruciating pain, as they become so focused on the pain. Warm water (eg outboard motor telltale) across the wound is the immediate first aid before seeking medical treatment.

WW
Old Dec 19th 2005, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

So I really shouldn't bother with my steel capped boots on the beach then
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:28 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Try telling this to my dh. He and a friend were on a diving holiday in the Scillies and came across a guy who'd had a heart attack. They both went to work with CPR immediately and kept it up for over two hours while the ambulance was called from the mainland. Then the local doctor arrives and tells them to stop because they'd been at it far too long and the guy was a gonner....told them they'd been wasting their time.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:48 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Snorkel and don't touch is the best advice... but go to your local dive shop there will be one around somewhere and they will have books in probably about fish identification ... all sorts found diving or snorkelling and also will have identification of nasty types like blue ring etc.

There is a shell you shouldn't touch as well but not sure what it looks like as I stick to not touching...LOL... .

Dive shop your best bet for good book as do lots of easy spot books and quick ref boards as well.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Creatures of the deep

Originally Posted by annqldau
Snorkel and don't touch is the best advice... but go to your local dive shop there will be one around somewhere and they will have books in probably about fish identification ... all sorts found diving or snorkelling and also will have identification of nasty types like blue ring etc.

There is a shell you shouldn't touch as well but not sure what it looks like as I stick to not touching...LOL... .

Dive shop your best bet for good book as do lots of easy spot books and quick ref boards as well.
It's quite simple - don't touch any sea life. Ever. Not for your protection - for theirs.

Cheers

Buzzy

PADI DM #453248
Old Dec 19th 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

So I really shouldn't bother with my steel capped boots on the beach then
Definitely not a good look on a Sydney beach at the moment

A lot of boaties in Brisbane used to wear the steel capped boots for protection when landing/launching.

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.