Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crazy road layouts?

Crazy road layouts?

Old Oct 20th 2006, 4:02 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crazy road layouts?

We dont need to comment on how bad Aussie drivers are, thats common knowledge, but what about some of the road layouts and intersections over here

The worst one I can think of is when you come out of the graham farmer tunnel heading west and join the Mitchell Freeway and need to exit at Vincent Street to head down past Lake Monger, it reminds of that old arcade game "Frogger"
You come down the ramp from the tunnel on the right hand side of the mitchell freeway and within about 100M have to negotiate your way across 5 lanes of freeway traffic to get to the exit on the left hand side, absolute madness. Sometimes the queue for the exit is all the way back past the tunnel exit on the right, so if you do manage to get across the lanes you then have to block the next lane in and hope someone queuing lets you in.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crazy road layouts?

Here's a visual

Originally Posted by steve99
We dont need to comment on how bad Aussie drivers are, thats common knowledge, but what about some of the road layouts and intersections over here

The worst one I can think of is when you come out of the graham farmer tunnel heading west and join the Mitchell Freeway and need to exit at Vincent Street to head down past Lake Monger, it reminds of that old arcade game "Frogger"
You come down the ramp from the tunnel on the right hand side of the mitchell freeway and within about 100M have to negotiate your way across 5 lanes of freeway traffic to get to the exit on the left hand side, absolute madness. Sometimes the queue for the exit is all the way back past the tunnel exit on the right, so if you do manage to get across the lanes you then have to block the next lane in and hope someone queuing lets you in.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me started on this.

SIGNAGE is my bugbear. It is appalling here in Perth.

Signs which say Freeway North when you can actually access Freeway South also.

Intersections where there are no signs.

Intersections which have signs at the actual intersection but not in the approach. So you then have to try and get across lanes of traffic - pissing off everybody.

Signs which are tiny.

Signs which are covered by trees.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:30 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

That is my personal favourite. My husband does this daily on his scooter. Makes me feel slightly sick just thinking about it. I got caught there when pulling a trailer, in rush hour, when new to Perth. Still to this day don't know how I got off. I've blanked it from my mind!

I would disagree in some ways with the previous poster about signage. Yes, a lot of it is too small and hidden by trees (my particular bug bear is trying to find a house you've never been to before, at night, pitch dark. I've had to get out of the car a few times before now to find the sign!!), but I like that they have the name of the street under the traffic light sign so you know which junction you are approaching.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of signage. I do like the way the have street signs a bit before the street. The only negative was that in the beginning I almost turned into driveways where the signs were thinking it was the road.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:54 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
Here's a visual
Looks like spaghetti junction!
another good one about this area is how the feeder lanes as you go into either end of the tunnel just converge straight into the lane of traffic, no giving way or dashed lines, you have to time your run up just right to slot into a gap no wonder its gridlock from about 4pm everynight.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 3:23 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have said this before but the hook turns in Melbourne city centre :scared: :scared:
To turn right you pull in to the left side of the road, wait until there is no traffic or the lights go to red and screech off like a bat out of hell accross the road
And yes, I am an offical hooker
J x
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:52 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen so many road signs - and with so many of them posting different restrictions at different times or applying to different vehicles/passengers it's the most appalling way to drive. I sat beside a parking slot the other day for five minutes trying to work out the three signs on the same post which said different things and I'm still not sure I was allowed to park for 1 hr or 2 on which days!