Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CRASH! ... *always* YOUR fault if YOU hit the person in front?

CRASH! ... *always* YOUR fault if YOU hit the person in front?

Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

cazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nice
Default Re: CRASH! ... *always* YOUR fault if YOU hit the person in front?

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I had a similar incident a few years ago in the UK. I was the driver behind. I reduced the claim to 50:50 by successfully arguing (with police assistance) the actions of the driver in front were not reasonable and they drove without due consideration for other road users. If it were me I'd argue this line very strongly. At the end of the day your insurer should try and recover the costs if they can.
Yes I work i the Motor trade and its if you hit a car in the rear, its 99% your fault!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

the actions of the driver in front were not reasonable and they drove without due consideration for other road users.
That could apply to any australian driver though
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:08 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Looks to me that the whole purpose of that junction is to keep traffic moving. Therefore if someone stops unexpectedly (whilst you should keep sufficient distance behind to be able to stop) that might help you go for 50/50 responsibility.

Is your daughter familiar with that junction? Does she use it every day? What is the normal driver behaviour at that junction? Do most people keep moving and use the merge further on? If you show reasonable expectation that the driver in front would keep moving whilst you check to the right, then that may help you.

What is the local shire / road board's interpretation of how that junction should be used and why have they laid it out that way? See what they say. See what the local old bill say.

Was the other driver local? Do they use that junction regularly? If so, they should know better, if not, then they may have half an excuse.

Is there a give way sign? If so, where is it? Is it prior to the junction or is there a merge sign around the corner?

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Dec 20th 2010 at 11:13 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised you asked the question Paul. Being an ex Cabbie.

Someone could see an imaginary Pink Elephant land in front of them, and brake.... It's still the persons fault behind for driving too close.

Brake lights and car failure are the only mitigating circumstances.... Surely the only cost will be the insurance excess. Which is generally 400 bucks ?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazza36
Yes I work i the Motor trade and its if you hit a car in the rear, its 99% your fault!
Perfect. You have left me the 1% room to make an argument I was not entirely at fault. An argument I successfully made with the insurers.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Someone could see an imaginary Pink Elephant land in front of them, and brake.... It's still the persons fault behind for driving too close.
No, not in UK anyway. This is exactly the police support i got that the driver in front had not taken reasonable action. i.e. if he "thinks" he sees a pink elephant and slams the braked on, this isn't reasonable.

Dont get me wrong I'm not condoning tail gating, but just because you rear end someone is not necessarily 100% your fault.

I think the OP has an argument to make against the driver in front.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:15 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar incident a few years ago in the UK. I was the driver behind. I reduced the claim to 50:50 by successfully arguing (with police assistance) the actions of the driver in front were not reasonable and they drove without due consideration for other road users. If it were me I'd argue this line very strongly. At the end of the day your insurer should try and recover the costs if they can.
Well my daughter admits to driving too close, but uses the road all the time and no one ever stops. She took her eyes off the front to check right (even tho she knows they have their own lane) and there WAS a car coming. Next thing she knows the car in front has come to a complete stand still, and too late!

When she asked the lady why she stopped, she repled "because a car was coming"

Originally Posted by Grayling
That could apply to any australian driver though

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Looks to me that the whole purpose of that junction is to keep traffic moving. Therefore if someone stops unexpectedly (whilst you should keep sufficient distance behind to be able to stop) that might help you go for 50/50 responsibility.

Is your daughter familiar with that junction? Does she use it every day? What is the normal driver behaviour at that junction? Do most people keep moving and use the merge further on? If you show reasonable expectation that the driver in front would keep moving whilst you check to the right, then that may help you.

What is the local shire / road board's interpretation of how that junction should be used and why have they laid it out that way? See what they say. See what the local old bill say.

Was the other driver local? Do they use that junction regularly? If so, they should know better, if not, then they may have half an excuse.

Is there a give way sign? If so, where is it? Is it prior to the junction or is there a merge sign around the corner?
Yeah as I was saying, she knows and uses the road almost daily going to her friends. The lady she drove into is from the other end of the coast, 50 mins or so. Dunno if the knows the area, she might, but after this incident would guess she doesn't.

I'll check, but don't know if there's a give way sign. I'd guess from the angle they was coming from there could be a stop sign, for traffic turning right. I'll check as I say.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm surprised you asked the question Paul. Being an ex Cabbie.

Brake lights and car failure are the only mitigating circumstances.... Surely the only cost will be the insurance excess. Which is generally 400 bucks ?

Oh and $1,900 excess!

My insurance was supposed to phone me today between 9 - 11 ... didn't happen, but will see what the person I speak to then has to say about it given the facts. End of the day they're gonna be on 'our side' so to put it.

There's a glimmer!
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:23 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Well my daughter admits to driving too close, but uses the road all the time and no one ever stops. She took her eyes off the front to check right (even tho she knows they have their own lane) and there WAS a car coming. Next thing she knows the car in front has come to a complete stand still, and too late!
I wouldn't put it quite like that to your insurers
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:33 am
Account Closed

I wouldn't put it quite like that to your insurers
Wasn't, but I hear you.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Heading East, and then the view ahead turning on the bend. No give way unless turning right.

Google Maps ...
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:45 am
Devil's Advocate

I'd seriously argue the old dear in front acted unreasonably.
These photos are priceless to your case. This is analogous to slamming on the brakes half way around a bend! Not very friendly or considerate for other road users.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a hard shoulder on a freeway was my first instinct.

1,900 is bloody expensive... didnt think it would be that much. I'm orf to check my insurance policies now. As my youngest has just started driving.

Hypothetical ....... What happens if she says she braked because saw a Cat, Dog or Echidna run across the Road ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 21st 2010 at 10:51 am.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:49 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I'd seriously argue the old dear in front acted unreasonably.
These photos are priceless to your case. This is analogous to slamming on the brakes half way around a bend! Not very friendly or considerate for other road users.
For mine it doesn't matter why they suddenly braked, the car behind should have left an appropriate gap.

Maybe the driver in front saw a kid that was going to run out, maybe a squirrel, maybe a dwarf (sorry, "person of limited stature") ... it don't matter.

Anything that discourages tail-gaters is a good thing.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Spondylus is an unknown quantity at this point

just on an aside here - we have learnt that over here in WA the drivers don't think they have to 'merge' entering from the left (ie. on a highway)...

On the Kwinana Freeway, drivers coming in from the left expect (demand) you to move 0ver/slow down/give them right of way.... Juist me or anyone else get this?
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeadVim
For mine it doesn't matter why they suddenly braked, the car behind should have left an appropriate gap.

Maybe the driver in front saw a kid that was going to run out, maybe a squirrel, maybe a dwarf (sorry, "person of limited stature") ... it don't matter.

Anything that discourages tail-gaters is a good thing.
Is correct in the UK anyway.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:46 pm
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by steen1976
Is correct in the UK anyway.
People keep saying this but my own very real experience shows otherwise as supported by police who attended the scene.
I was not without blame but it was not entirely my fault either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.