Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crap wages - all of Australia or just the Sunshine Coast?

Crap wages - all of Australia or just the Sunshine Coast?

Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

qwertyuiop will become famous soon enoughqwertyuiop will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Crap wages - all of Australia or just the Sunshine Coast?

If anyone knows someone looking for casual work on the Gold Coast with defo not crap money give me a pm.....please
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:15 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tallboy21
sorry but i find it hard to believe that a prov plumber with no gas ticket can get $85.000 a year on permant in brisbane are you sure ?
well i should know seen plenty wage slips he is a fully qualified plumber ten years exp but when you arrive they only give you provisional licence until you do the course. but he got plenty job offers they took him on weeks trial and he was made permanent after a month he has to travel 40 mins there and back so he gets extra for travelling but hes employed by big plumbing company and they pay good money he works long day but thats what hes paid .
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:29 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Wouldn't get 85 grand a year up here that's for sure and I'm amazed he's getting it on the Gold coast.

For a new migrant (which is no different to being a ozzy citizen really) a realistic wage might be between $17 - $20 an hour, I know self employed painters who are on maybe $25 - $30 an hour sub contracting. Simple fact is the only way to make any decent money is to setup your own business. Massive divide between employee and employer here. The last job I had they charged me out at anywhere between $99 - $148 an hour, they paid me $19 an hour :-(. That's in the IT industry.

What's good is that everyone on here is now discussing it, usually as soon as anything negative is posted everyone jumps in and starts slagging the poster off.
all i know is what i see he works a ten hour day which is longer than uk hes a maintenace plumber out here they make more than just a plumber hes on $40 per hour he gets a paid rota day off every month he gets paid allowance for travelling and at the end of the week he takes home $1900 beore tax as i said in post after tax he actually ends up with $70.000 for the year. why do people never believe anyone when they think the wages are too high. why would i lie no point we are meant to be discussing wages and areas arent we?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Into Oz we hope is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Crap wages - all of Australia or just the Sunshine Coast?

Very interesting reading all the messages referring to Australia wages etc. We are in the process of waiting for a visa (fingers crossed) ,trying to sell our house etc. We as a family of four realise that I will not be on a good wage as in the UK, but we want to give it a go, we will try to live with what money we have.
As long as we stick together as a family and try to settle into the Oz lifestyle ,we aren,t bothered about a 4/5 bedroom house with Swimming pool.The reason for us leaving the UK is to hopefully give us more family time together. As everyone says to us ( which I hate to say) YOU CAN ALWAYS COME BACK!!!!!

P.S What an excellent website this is, We have picked up a lot of useful info,keep up the good work everyone.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

qwertyuiop will become famous soon enoughqwertyuiop will become famous soon enough

I deal with subbies all the time and the going rate for the Gold Coast is
$60 per hour for Plumbers and Electricians. I tend to hold off till I have at least six hours work for them and then call them in.
The money is out there if you have the guts to give it a go
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
I dont understand all the fuss.

Low wages, sushine coast, its a bloody holiday resort.

I wouldnt go and expect to earn what I earn now, living in 2 mins from a costal location unless Im lucky. the industry isnt there.

you need to address a few issues here and get realistic.
Err, we live in Melbourne
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of industry here, it's one of the fastest growing areas in Australia. Also plenty of greedy employers paying low wages compared to the profits they make.
I know for a fact that IT companies selling PC's in the UK make about 10% - 15% markup, here they make 40% - 50% so why do they have to pay lower wages when they actually make more money than the equivalent UK company?

You always hear the same crap from employers here on the coast - the wages are lower. Can anyone answer me why this is the case? Houses cost just as much here as they do in Brisbane, stuff in the shops cost more and so do 2nd hand cars so therefore the cost of living is higher.
I think it is a conspiracy between the greedy fat cats to keep the workers at the bottom of the pile (where they belong?)

A question to on a mission - what issues need addressing and how realistic do you want me to be?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Totally understand the thread.

The issues work out what you can afford and cut the cloth accordingly.

Been there done that, been ripped off and paid a shite salary, if you need the work for $ go where the work is and lower the overheads.

Problem I see with QLD, too many cashed up people moving who dont need to earn big bucks.... so therefore lower the wages.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 8:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
That made me LOL! Are you serious
Unfortunately yes. It was a mistake but not one we could do anything about. He would have found it funny
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:01 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Not much is mentioned on here about the crappy wages in Australia. Now I'm not sure if it's the whole of OZ or just the Sunshine Coast?
A normal job up here may pay $40,000 a year, not a great deal. Also a very high percentage of jobs are casual and/or part time.

A word of warning to anyone coming to the Sunshine Coast - don't expect high wages or job security - it just wont happen

Any comments?
So your saying, the Sunshine Coast pays crap wages, and offers no job security?

On what grounds have you based this, apart from your own personal observations. Seems quite a sweeping statement mate.

Not having a dig here, quite the contrary.. we have looked at buying a property in Caloundra , and obviously gonna rent it out, so work situation and of course job security is quite important
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

On what grounds have you based this, apart from your own personal observations. Seems quite a sweeping statement mate.

Not having a dig here, quite the contrary.. we have looked at buying a property in Caloundra , and obviously gonna rent it out, so work situation and of course job security is quite important
My own personal findings as well as people we have got to know. Also this is what I was told by the aussies I used to work with.

Do you think that this isn't the case everywhere (as per my original question)?

By the way, if you are buying property I would have thought Mountain Creek would be a better choice. For a start you have shed loads of expats pouring in all the time looking for a rental, there's also a lot more work in Maroochydore than there is in Caloundra
Caloundra is on the way up though so maybe from an investment point of view it may be good?

Last edited by kevinbloomfield; Oct 7th 2007 at 10:49 am. Reason: extra stuff
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:25 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest mate, I kinda agree and disagree...

In uk, i was on damn good money, probs circa 100k per yr min. GBP

In oz, circa 50-100k aussie dependant on how hot the summer gets ( air conditioning installer )

But then I get 3 or 4 months of no work, and have to live off what i got and made in summer.. which sounds easier than it is..

I think someone, posted the phrase, Cut your cloth accordingly.

I agree, but as i am not an employee, and havent been since finishing apprenticeship in 1985, I have no idea what its like to be employed.. and all this workplace thing is really over my head.

I was always under the impression that average wage in Oz was about 40k per annum.
Then again, in uk, it was always about 25k per annum, and i never knew anyone on that much money cept me, so I kept my gob shut lol.. so i suppose i am pretty crap at being realistic..
Then again, they didnt have to pay the VAT man 50-100k per year, and the tax man his funds plus a villa in benidorm to boot !! So its all swings and roundabouts...

Im digressing.. my point is this, I would suppose, that there are stable jobs in any area in Australia, especially with the economic climate the way it is right now, but its what jobs, are rewarded better both financially and backed by longevity by committed employers... surely there must be those kinda jobs , careers and relationships for employees within Sunny Coast..

and thanks, will check out mountain creek, im not a great lover of maroochy or moolooolabaaaahlabongjalongibumm
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I have to agree with the OP as far as the Gold Coast is concerned, and I base my observations on the grounds of having lived here for 11 years, 5 of those working in the Employment industry, and living in Melbourne for 8 years where there is so much more industry and large employers and job security.

Having said that, as has previously been mentioned, the Gold and Sunshine Coasts have a fabulous climate and lifestyle, as far as we were concerned that was the trade-off, ( as long as you can afford to pay the bills and you are not watching every penny you spend)

Some workers do really well though and earn top pay, much like everywhere else.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice

To be honest mate, I kinda agree and disagree...

In uk, i was on damn good money, probs circa 100k per yr min. GBP

In oz, circa 50-100k aussie dependant on how hot the summer gets ( air conditioning installer )

But then I get 3 or 4 months of no work, and have to live off what i got and made in summer.. which sounds easier than it is..

I think someone, posted the phrase, Cut your cloth accordingly.

I agree, but as i am not an employee, and havent been since finishing apprenticeship in 1985, I have no idea what its like to be employed.. and all this workplace thing is really over my head.

I was always under the impression that average wage in Oz was about 40k per annum.
Then again, in uk, it was always about 25k per annum, and i never knew anyone on that much money cept me, so I kept my gob shut lol.. so i suppose i am pretty crap at being realistic..
Then again, they didnt have to pay the VAT man 50-100k per year, and the tax man his funds plus a villa in benidorm to boot !! So its all swings and roundabouts...

Im digressing.. my point is this, I would suppose, that there are stable jobs in any area in Australia, especially with the economic climate the way it is right now, but its what jobs, are rewarded better both financially and backed by longevity by committed employers... surely there must be those kinda jobs , careers and relationships for employees within Sunny Coast..

and thanks, will check out mountain creek, im not a great lover of maroochy or moolooolabaaaahlabongjalongibumm
Hi

Its our plan to move to Qld next year. The job I will get will pay $2000 every 2 weeks. Would this be enough do you think for a family ( 2 adults 3 kids ) to live on in rented accommodation. Also which area would best suit We were thinking of Brisbane but rent is expensive so Cairns looks better and cheaper what do all you wonderful people think
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:21 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa
Hi

Its our plan to move to Qld next year. The job I will get will pay $2000 every 2 weeks. Would this be enough do you think for a family ( 2 adults 3 kids ) to live on in rented accommodation. Also which area would best suit We were thinking of Brisbane but rent is expensive so Cairns looks better and cheaper what do all you wonderful people think
I couldnt see how a family of 5 could survive on $52K a year. (assuming your talking pre tax)
Well im sure you can but I wouldnt move to the other side of the world if that's what was facing me. No disrespect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.