British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Crap day turned amazing! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/crap-day-turned-amazing-258368/)

Wanderlust Oct 5th 2004 9:05 am

Crap day turned amazing!

I've had a nasty sore throat for the last few days, and was hoping it would go away. But, waking up once more feeling like I'm swallowing marbles, I took a trip to the local doctors office. They don't bulk bill (apparently that bits free), so I have to pay $50 up front - regardless if I'm in there for 3 minutes or 30! And - I cant see him today, I have to wait till tomorrow.

So - feeling sorry for myself and still swallowing marbles, I decided to drive to Tallebudgera beach to lift my spirits - only about 15min from where I'm staying on the Gold Coast. I get there to find the beach practically deserted apart from a family of 4 who are standing there staring out to sea. Curious to see what it is that's so interesting, I stare too.
After about 15 seconds I saw them - humpback whales leaping out of the water! Only about 1/2 a mile from shore! I watched for about 20 minutes - there must have been a large school of them. Eventually their plumes of spray and antics couldnt be seen because they had swam so far way.

Sore throat, doctors fees and waiting lists forgotten! I feel great now!

W. :D

Kendonakasaki Oct 5th 2004 9:46 am

Re: Crap day turned amazing!

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
I've had a nasty sore throat for the last few days, and was hoping it would go away. But, waking up once more feeling like I'm swallowing marbles, I took a trip to the local doctors office. They don't bulk bill (apparently that bits free), so I have to pay $50 up front - regardless if I'm in there for 3 minutes or 30! And - I cant see him today, I have to wait till tomorrow.

So - feeling sorry for myself and still swallowing marbles, I decided to drive to Tallebudgera beach to lift my spirits - only about 15min from where I'm staying on the Gold Coast. I get there to find the beach practically deserted apart from a family of 4 who are standing there staring out to sea. Curious to see what it is that's so interesting, I stare too.
After about 15 seconds I saw them - humpback whales leaping out of the water! Only about 1/2 a mile from shore! I watched for about 20 minutes - there must have been a large school of them. Eventually their plumes of spray and antics couldnt be seen because they had swam so far way.

Wow, tat sounds amazing, glad to hear you're feeling brighter now.

bundy Oct 5th 2004 9:55 am

So you're not still in England then? ;)

Possible change of signature? :D

mr mover Oct 5th 2004 10:10 am

MOTHER EARTH , THE GREAT NURTURER................. :) ..MM

saraliz Oct 5th 2004 11:08 am

They don't bulk bill (apparently that bits free), so I have to pay $50 up front - regardless if I'm in there for 3 minutes or 30!

Just out of curiousity, will medicare refund you part of this fee? Or does medicare only apply if the doctor bulk bills...?

moneypenny20 Oct 5th 2004 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by bundy
So you're not still in England then? ;)

Possible change of signature? :D

:D :D Confused the hell out of me to begin with.

Wanderlust Oct 6th 2004 1:30 am

Originally Posted by saraliz
Just out of curiousity, will medicare refund you part of this fee? Or does medicare only apply if the doctor bulk bills...?

Apparently I can apply to get $27.50 of that back from the government. :)

Oh yes - and I will change my location on my profile too. :)

Pollyana Oct 6th 2004 3:17 am

Apparently I can apply to get $27.50 of that back from the government. :)

Oh yes - and I will change my location on my profile too. :)

Get a form from the local Medicare office, or the doctor, fill in and send to Medicare with the receipt, and they will refund part of the cost. They either send you a cheque or put it straight in a bank account for you - we use that option, takes about 7-10 days.

Billabong Oct 6th 2004 3:22 am

We went whale watching to the other side of Moreton Island yesterday even though it was a bit overcast and although the sea was choppy I didn't spew you will be pleased to know (however, some did!!!!!)

I can honestly say that I have never been so awestruck by anything like this - it was an utterly amazing experience!!

It cost $99 (£37.50) and we left the jetty at 10:05am. We had tea/coffee and cake on the way out, a buffet lunch and tea/coffee and freshfruit on the way back - oh did I forget the whales!!!!!!

After an hours travel to Moreton Island we picked on a mother and calf quite quickly and they seemed to accept our presence and the mother appeared quite trusting and they came so close to the boat. Then the calf decided to do a bit of showing off and started breaching (which is jumping out of the water) and rolling around waving his fins at us (I tell you no word of a lie - it bloody waved, the more we waved the more it waved). Then we left them and picked up another mother and calf (not so entertaining but still fantastic) - (Nita (Earslwood) spotted the second pod and shouted "thar she blows" to the captain)

If you get the chance to do this guys - do it at whatever cost (you will never regret it)