Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Crabtree First instalment.

Crabtree First instalment.

Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crabtree First instalment.

Well folks, as you may well remember, things were pretty rough for us the last few months before we left the UK, what with the house sale and the sad loss of my Cousin in that boating accident.

The vacating should have been on the 17th October and by the 16th October we were still waiting, but rather than sit there for another day waiting for a miracle to happen, we decided to take the trip over to Shropshire from Lincolnshire to take the dog to the Kennels. On our way back, for no reason at all, we stopped in Louth and went into the Estate Agents to see what the next move was going to be, now that we had no furniture, no food in the house and no dog. As we walked through the door at 4.o.clock, the phone rang and it was our Solicitor saying that he was unable to get in touch with us and everything needed to be done by 4.30 for it all to go through the next morning, but we needed to sign some documents first. (Couldn't believe the stroke of luck). He faxed the documents through, we signed them and sent them straight back by fax. IT WAS DONE!!! We had to be out of the house by 12.00 the next morning.
Of course, we had no flight booked because of the mess of the sale, so we rushed off to the Travel agents and tried to get a flight. NO FLIGHTS AVAILABLE due to Rugby World Cup.
Rushed straight home and started ringing every company we could to try and get a flight from anywhere.
Rang a local Taxi firm and asked then for a taxi to the airport. "Which Airport" he asked. "Dont know" we said. "Just be there for 10.am".
By the time we had organised everything and rang everyone, who tried to get us a flight, it was too late that night as they all the airlines finish at about 10pm. So we went to sleep on our mattresses from the caravan without knowing what was going to happen the next morning.
The telephone was the only thing that we had till 12am.
We still had no idea which airport we were going to and how long we would be there before we ever got a flight.
At 9.55 the taxi arrived, and at the same time the phone rang from Direct flights. It was someone we had spoken to the evening before and he had managed to find 2 seats with one company and 1 seat from another but amazingly on the same flight, but wasn't able to book it because Emirates booking dept had closed for the night, but he was able to put a hold on them.
They were for the 19th Oct, Sunday.
It was such a mad rush that we just jumped into the Taxi, told the driver it was Manchester Airport that we were going too. (Spare keys had been left with the agent the night before).
It wasn't until we were almost at the Hilton Hotel Manchester that I realised that I hadn't even looked back at the house for the last time.

We spent 2 days at the Hilton, and boy did we live it up. It was great to destress for a couple of days.
We picked the tickets up from Emirates on the Saturday and caught the flight on the Sunday.

THIS IS WHERE OUR LUCK STARTED TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER.

(Going for my lunch - back in a bit)
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Arrghhhhh - COME BACK! I need to know what happens next.....
Old Dec 30th 2003, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hurry up!!.. i'm waiting to hear the rest..never mind the rumbling stomach!!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 6:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it up Whisky; makes good reading so far...... all on tenterhooks here!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We did the first leg of the journey. You tend to forget how every minute seems like an hour, but it went well apart from taking off 2 hours late, but we caught up about an hour and a half of the time.
We had to make our way straight to the departure lounge for the next flight as that was taking off at its usual time. As we went through the girl at the desk taking our tickets said that she was changing our seating and that we will upgrading to Business Class. We couldn't believe it.
My- how the other half live. Champagne, seats for a King, bags with toiletries, food you would be hard pressed for anywhere let alone on a flight, and fabulous service. I NEVER WANT TO GO ECONOMY AGAIN.

We finally landed in Perth a little worse for wear, to be greeted by my Uncle and Aunt who were here on holiday.

We then made our way to stay with my Brother and his wife who live in Dawesville near Mandurah.

On the following Friday, we went and activated our Bank accounts and got our Bank Cards, and as we were in Perth, we jumped on the City bus and went and sorted out our Tax no application, which by the way, is very uncomplicated and takes a matter of minutes so long as you have your passports with you.

We bought a car. A Ford Fairmont 1997, 4litre Automatic with all the gadgets. $13,000

The next week we went and sorted out a short term rental, as my Aunt and Uncle were in the process of buying a house out here and asked us whether we would look after it for a few months until they could get out here.
It was a nice house. Large, 4 beds, 2 bathrooms with outdoor heated jacuzzi. $250 a week. We had to put $1,000 down as we had no references.
We were in there for 7 weeks and moved into my Aunts house on the 23rd December.

The furniture was delivered safely. Nothing broken.
We used PSS in the UK and it was delivered by Kent removals in Oz. I would recommend them and have the number if anyone needs it.

The dog came out 2 weeks later than us as they were unable to get her in the quarantine kennels in Oz till then.
I also recommend Golden Arrow Kennels in the UK. Very very helpful, and the quarantine kennels in Oz were spectacularly clean, caring and thoughtful towards the 4 footed little friends and their families. They are based at Byford, about 30 kilometres from Perth.
You are able to visit your dog between mon - Fri and can take them outside for a walk.
I wasn't sure that it would be a good idea to go and see her, but they advised that if the dog is just left for 4 weeks (with no contact from the family) they get very low and depressed and start losing weight and condition, whereas, if you go and see them, take there toys, blankets, treats and take them for a walk, they are happier and know that you haven't abandoned them.
We went to see her a couple of times a week.
All I would like to add here is that if you are worrying about your dogs or cats and how they will handle it all, don't, they are in a good place and are cared for very well. I was so impressed that I sent them a letter of appreciation as when you go to collect your dog on the day you tend to forget to thank them in all the excitement.

At the same time as all this going on, we were also looking for a business. We went to every business agent between Perth and Busselton, but finally made up our minds on a place that we had been sent details on in the UK. The problem was, he was asking $165,000 for it but we didn't think that it was worth that much and we wanted to redecorate and change things, so we played it very cool and didn't put an offer in for a further 2 1/2 weeks. We knew that he was desperate to sell as he was working somewhere else, so we went in for the kill and offered $110,000.
The final settlement came to $115,000. NOT BAD HEY/
Another bit of advise - Don't rush into buying anything, and barter.
The other thing is, don't take notice of everything the Estate agents and Business Agents tell you. They are programmed to sell, sell, sell. But with saying that, our agent has been very good and has put a lot of work into getting everything that we have asked for.
If you are buying a Business, you really should try and go through a Business Settlement agent. (Like a Solicitor) as they will check absolutely everything and if anything goes wrong or there are any debts from previous owners etc, it is on their heads and not yours. We have found a very good one in Perth, and have the number and address is you need one.
Because we are buying a restaurant we have had to apply for a liqour licence and had to go on a 2 day course in Perth to get the Licence and Certificate, which is what is holding the move in date at the moment.
The laws here are very strict on drink compared to holding a licence in the UK.
Hopefully, things will all go through in the next couple of weeks.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry folks, but just had a call from my Brother and we are off Crabbing down at the estuary. Caught 20 between us day before yesterday.
I will continue on my return. Smelling like an old Fishmonger no doubt!!!!

Whisky
Old Dec 30th 2003, 6:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Compared to those posts when you were sat surrounded with packing boxes you sound much happier. Good luck with the business.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Happier is not the word Bondipom. I'm deliriously happy. Not that I am saying everything is perfect, but that will come in a very short later edition.
I still often think of our chat in the early hours of the morning, and quite honestly am not sure what I would have done without you being there on line that day to get me through it and I will always be very grateful to you.

Whisky
Old Dec 30th 2003, 7:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its really great that things are working out for you Whisky; I'm so pleased for you both; your kind words helped me through a low bit, as you know. Hopefully one day we will get to meet up on one side of Oz or the other!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 9:10 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Sounds good Whisky, how's Tony. Enjoy yourselves, like the bit about the agents, the same the world over it seems.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Fantastic story Whisky. I will log on later on to read the next instalment.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Great to hear from you whisky.

Give us a clue when the restaurant is going to be open and we'll give you some trade.

All the best and keep at it
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by whisky
If you are buying a Business, you really should try and go through a Business Settlement agent. (Like a Solicitor) as they will check absolutely everything and if anything goes wrong or there are any debts from previous owners etc, it is on their heads and not yours. We have found a very good one in Perth, and have the number and address is you need one.
Hi Whisky

A great post! Can't wait until the next installment, please don't keep us waiting too long!! Would really appreciate the name and number of the Business Settlement agent as we are coming out on a Business Visa and any advice or recommendations gratefully received .

Good luck to you in your new business, hope it all goes well.

Sam
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi folks, back from the old crabbing.
Tony and I didn't do so well today. Caught 10 but most were under size. They have to be 127 millimetres across the shell from point to point. My Brother and SIL caught 23. Jammy gits.

Anyway, on with my adventures.

We have now bought another car so that we can both get about, especially for when the business gets going.
This one is a Ford Falcon, a bit older but a good run about. Not sure how much we paid for that one, but it was cheap.

Petrol is fantastic. £20 to fill up a 4 litre car.

We went out for a drive to take a look at Bunbury. Nice little place but not sure that I would want to live there, but brilliant if you are looking for a place with some acreage.
Anyway - I really wanted to see the Dolphins, but the only real way to see them is to go out on the Boat. As you can all imagine, I had things going on in my mind about boats, but decided that the chances of it happening again to someone in the same family would more likely only happen if my name were KENNEDY, so I plucked up the courage and jumped aboard. Very nervous on the way out. Bum cheeks squeezed very tight, but soon loosened off once we got out to the Dolphins. Absolutely fantastic, amazing, beautiful. They gave us the most spectaculor hour of pleasure around the boat, jumping, chasing, running ahead of the boat at quite a speed. Took loads of photos. Came back wanting to do it all over again.
My next thing will be the whales when they pass by next year. I will be out there. Can't wait.

SIT DOWN FOR THIS ONE

Went out for a drive one day, as you do.

BOUGHT A BOAT

Told you to sit down didn't I?
Its a Carribean Comet. 15ft. Snazzy little Power Boat with 50hp engine. Paid $7.700 after a bit of a haggle.
Went out that weekend along the waterways in Mandurah and into the estuary.

The following weekend we took the boat out again. Tony pushed the boat into the water and I held it there whilst he took the trailer to the trailer park. Suddenly saw water in the boat. Lauren ran to her Dad to tell him. HE HAD ONLY FORGOTTEN TO PUT THE BUNGS IN. STUPID ****.

Guess what we say everytime we go out in the boat now.

"HAVE YOU PUT THE BUNGS IN"? THEN WE ALL CHECK THE BACK FOR DOUBLE SAFETY.

I have also started fishing. Well I say I, the whole family and we love it, either in the boat or off one of the jettys. We have caught loads of herring, and Lauren has caught a skippy. Tony caught a Bream.
I never thought that I would enjoy fishing, but I love it. I have even bought myself a bigger rod, hoping to catch bigger fish.

Coffee break

Whisky
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:24 am
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by whisky
Hi folks, back from the old crabbing.
Tony and I didn't do so well today. Caught 10 but most were under size. They have to be 127 millimetres across the shell from point to point. My Brother and SIL caught 23. Jammy gits.

Anyway, on with my adventures.

We have now bought another car so that we can both get about, especially for when the business gets going.
This one is a Ford Falcon, a bit older but a good run about. Not sure how much we paid for that one, but it was cheap.

Petrol is fantastic. £20 to fill up a 4 litre car.

We went out for a drive to take a look at Bunbury. Nice little place but not sure that I would want to live there, but brilliant if you are looking for a place with some acreage.
Anyway - I really wanted to see the Dolphins, but the only real way to see them is to go out on the Boat. As you can all imagine, I had things going on in my mind about boats, but decided that the chances of it happening again to someone in the same family would more likely only happen if my name were KENNEDY, so I plucked up the courage and jumped aboard. Very nervous on the way out. Bum cheeks squeezed very tight, but soon loosened off once we got out to the Dolphins. Absolutely fantastic, amazing, beautiful. They gave us the most spectaculor hour of pleasure around the boat, jumping, chasing, running ahead of the boat at quite a speed. Took loads of photos. Came back wanting to do it all over again.
My next thing will be the whales when they pass by next year. I will be out there. Can't wait.

SIT DOWN FOR THIS ONE

Went out for a drive one day, as you do.

BOUGHT A BOAT

Told you to sit down didn't I?
Its a Carribean Comet. 15ft. Snazzy little Power Boat with 50hp engine. Paid $7.700 after a bit of a haggle.
Went out that weekend along the waterways in Mandurah and into the estuary.

The following weekend we took the boat out again. Tony pushed the boat into the water and I held it there whilst he took the trailer to the trailer park. Suddenly saw water in the boat. Lauren ran to her Dad to tell him. HE HAD ONLY FORGOTTEN TO PUT THE BUNGS IN. STUPID ****.

Guess what we say everytime we go out in the boat now.

"HAVE YOU PUT THE BUNGS IN"? THEN WE ALL CHECK THE BACK FOR DOUBLE SAFETY.

I have also started fishing. Well I say I, the whole family and we love it, either in the boat or off one of the jettys. We have caught loads of herring, and Lauren has caught a skippy. Tony caught a Bream.
I never thought that I would enjoy fishing, but I love it. I have even bought myself a bigger rod, hoping to catch bigger fish.

Coffee break

Whisky
Aww whiskey I'm so glad things have finally turned out OK for you :-) Been following your story for months now.

Good luck with the business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.