Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Nov 12th 2010, 8:07 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by Barbaran
I will try and get a something going like a thread for PIPS. I am not good at IT so will ask our wonderful friend Steve what I have to do for this. Yes June sounds good to me and I am sure that the other PIPS will be up for this.
Hello Barbara; flattery will get you just about anywhere!

There are a few options really (that I know of). You could ask BritishExpats.com to set up a subforum - relevant because this site is already specific to migrants from the UK to Australia. You could set up a completely independent forum which would normally be based on what is known as phpbb3 software. The latter would be better for a good number of people using it regularly.

Finally, there is Facebook (or the wider social networking genre out there). Though I must confess to a dislike for Facebook due to its intrusive defaults, it would be an attractive option for a small group as it allows things like instant messaging, photo sharing and so on. There would need to be a group administrator, simply to make sure the world out there doesn't hijack it, but otherwise it should be relatively painless to get going. My impression is that this would suit you guys most, and I'd be happy to help.

Best wishes

Steve
Old Nov 12th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sandch
Hello Barbara; flattery will get you just about anywhere!

There are a few options really (that I know of). You could ask BritishExpats.com to set up a subforum - relevant because this site is already specific to migrants from the UK to Australia. You could set up a completely independent forum which would normally be based on what is known as phpbb3 software. The latter would be better for a good number of people using it regularly.

Finally, there is Facebook (or the wider social networking genre out there). Though I must confess to a dislike for Facebook due to its intrusive defaults, it would be an attractive option for a small group as it allows things like instant messaging, photo sharing and so on. There would need to be a group administrator, simply to make sure the world out there doesn't hijack it, but otherwise it should be relatively painless to get going. My impression is that this would suit you guys most, and I'd be happy to help.

Best wishes

Steve
Hi Steve, I realise you must be like a pair of tiggers jumping up and down with excitement at the thought of your trip so thank you so much for the reply. Facebook sounds good but who could we get to be a group administrator, only someone warm, wonderful and masterful could take this job on and someone unique who has "the knowledge"! I do think there would be other groups forming. We hope to be adding people on there from the site and be like a support group for those that take the giant step into the unknown.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durhamlad
Just arrived in cairns for three months and went to register with Medicare and they told us they no longer register temporary visitors. We now have to pay up front for any medical treatment then take the receipt for the payment, our flight details, passports, address where staying and our Health Insurance Card to one of their offices for a refund.
G'Day

That's a b****r! Our Sydney doc doesn't "bulk" (ie, direct) bill, but if ever we've needed a blood test we've just signed the form and had to pay nothing. Now we'll have to pay up, and Medicare only covers a percentage of the cost.

Likewise, what happens if any poor b****r has the misfortune to have to go to A&E? Before, they would just sign you in and claim back from Medicare.

Mike

PS: Have you had a temp Medicare number before? We have, many times, and when we go into the office they just update it, changing the last digit.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

durhamlad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MikenSueNW3
G'Day

That's a b****r! Our Sydney doc doesn't "bulk" (ie, direct) bill, but if ever we've needed a blood test we've just signed the form and had to pay nothing. Now we'll have to pay up, and Medicare only covers a percentage of the cost.

Likewise, what happens if any poor b****r has the misfortune to have to go to A&E? Before, they would just sign you in and claim back from Medicare.

Mike

PS: Have you had a temp Medicare number before? We have, many times, and when we go into the office they just update it, changing the last digit.
Yes we have always had a Medicare number before and last July when we were in Oz we had a proper plastic Medicare card and they took it off us when we showed them it the other day.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

MikenSueNW3 is an unknown quantity at this point

G'Day

Don't say it too loudly, but things look up a tad on the exchange-rate front – approaching $1.64. (Whodathunkit a year ago – cheering a $1.64 rate!)

Mike
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:23 am
Just Joined

DavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to all

Good Morning

I read this interesting article a few days ago and tried to post the link but it was removed as "spam" - a genuine mistake on my part. I still think its worth posting - it's an excellent explanation of what is going on and why! Regards Gill
09 November 2010

FX Research and Analysis by: David Johnson MSTA CFTe

Sterling Pound Migration Report - World economy struggles to return to growth

The great manipulators

A month ago, the UK government set out its plans to cut spending and reduce the immense budget deficit. Their critics said the moves would stifle an already fragile recovery whilst the supporters, including the International Monetary Fund and many foreign governments, saw it as the right thing to do in the circumstances. Sterling initially strengthened and things looked good but the actions by other central banks and governments have served to undermine the Pound and the future path is far from clear.

In the meantime, as each country seeks to gain any 'edge' that they can, to help their exporters drag each economy out of the mire, the accusations of 'currency manipulation' are being hurled across the globe. The Chinese have long maintained the Yuan at unrealistically weak levels in order to improve their export advantage but we are seeing the Japanese authorities trying to achieve a similar advantage through blunt intervention; selling Yen in other words.

Meanwhile, the US government has injected another $600 billion into its money supply to add to the $1.7 trillion they have previously spent on bond purchases. This has boosted confidence in the potential for a US economic recovery and as investors peel away from the safety of the US Dollar, they will tend to buy higher yielding currencies elsewhere so the Australian and New Zealand Dollars have strengthened. That is precisely what the Australasian authorities don't want but they have little option other than to tighten their monetary supply because their domestic economies demand it.

The US has come under verbal attack from the EU, China and elsewhere as a manipulator of currency and whilst the Federal Reserve and Treasury don't deny their actions will weaken the US Dollar, they are at pains to point out the need for such moves to support US jobs and encourage economic growth within America.

While this is all happening, the Bank of England is studiously avoiding making any positive moves which might increase the value of the Pound. In fact, whenever there is any fear that Sterling could increase in value, the Governor of the Bank of England moves like lightning to whip the rug away from the Pound. This happens far too often for it to be a coincidence and the net result is that Sterling is trapped below a number of technical resistance levels.

The question, as always, is whether there is a trend in place and whether the Pound has the chance to make substantial gains against other currencies to make the migration process a more cost effective one. The answer is, I am sorry to say, a very ambiguous one because there are so many uncertainties in the air.

If the US cash injection does indeed boost employment and economic activity, then we will continue to see further US Dollar weakness. The positive vibe that this would send through the financial markets would certainly boost the value of the Australian and New Zealand Dollar s and should also, eventually boost the value of the Canadian Dollar, although if the US Dollar is weaker, that would have an initial effect of weakening the CAD as well and that could well be a terrific opportunity for those moving to Canada.

The Pound is, sad to say, likely to follow the path of the US Dollar though; making it tough for those seeking to sell sterling in favour of the Aussie, Kiwi and Canadian Dollars.

The caveat is that this is all dependent on the actions of the US Federal Reserve boosting the US economy. If their bold gamble fails though, we will see a flight to safety and the result would be a sharp weakening of the Australasian Dollars and a return to more encouraging levels for migrants bound for the lands down under.

Beware though; it can be very hard living a day to day existence with your fingers permanently crossed. I tried it when the Euro-millions lottery jackpot reached £130 million and it did me no good whatsoever. I hope your luck is better than mine.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:43 am

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
Good Morning

I read this interesting article a few days ago and tried to post the link but it was removed as "spam" - a genuine mistake on my part. I still think its worth posting - it's an excellent explanation of what is going on and why! Regards Gill
09 November 2010

The great manipulators

A month ago, the UK government set out its plans to cut spending and reduce the immense budget deficit. Their critics said the moves would stifle an already fragile recovery whilst the supporters, including the International Monetary Fund and many foreign governments, saw it as the right thing to do in the circumstances. Sterling initially strengthened and things looked good but the actions by other central banks and governments have served to undermine the Pound and the future path is far from clear.

In the meantime, as each country seeks to gain any 'edge' that they can, to help their exporters drag each economy out of the mire, the accusations of 'currency manipulation' are being hurled across the globe. The Chinese have long maintained the Yuan at unrealistically weak levels in order to improve their export advantage but we are seeing the Japanese authorities trying to achieve a similar advantage through blunt intervention; selling Yen in other words.

Meanwhile, the US government has injected another $600 billion into its money supply to add to the $1.7 trillion they have previously spent on bond purchases. This has boosted confidence in the potential for a US economic recovery and as investors peel away from the safety of the US Dollar, they will tend to buy higher yielding currencies elsewhere so the Australian and New Zealand Dollars have strengthened. That is precisely what the Australasian authorities don't want but they have little option other than to tighten their monetary supply because their domestic economies demand it.

The US has come under verbal attack from the EU, China and elsewhere as a manipulator of currency and whilst the Federal Reserve and Treasury don't deny their actions will weaken the US Dollar, they are at pains to point out the need for such moves to support US jobs and encourage economic growth within America.

While this is all happening, the Bank of England is studiously avoiding making any positive moves which might increase the value of the Pound. In fact, whenever there is any fear that Sterling could increase in value, the Governor of the Bank of England moves like lightning to whip the rug away from the Pound. This happens far too often for it to be a coincidence and the net result is that Sterling is trapped below a number of technical resistance levels.

The question, as always, is whether there is a trend in place and whether the Pound has the chance to make substantial gains against other currencies to make the migration process a more cost effective one. The answer is, I am sorry to say, a very ambiguous one because there are so many uncertainties in the air.

If the US cash injection does indeed boost employment and economic activity, then we will continue to see further US Dollar weakness. The positive vibe that this would send through the financial markets would certainly boost the value of the Australian and New Zealand Dollar s and should also, eventually boost the value of the Canadian Dollar, although if the US Dollar is weaker, that would have an initial effect of weakening the CAD as well and that could well be a terrific opportunity for those moving to Canada.

The Pound is, sad to say, likely to follow the path of the US Dollar though; making it tough for those seeking to sell sterling in favour of the Aussie, Kiwi and Canadian Dollars.

The caveat is that this is all dependent on the actions of the US Federal Reserve boosting the US economy. If their bold gamble fails though, we will see a flight to safety and the result would be a sharp weakening of the Australasian Dollars and a return to more encouraging levels for migrants bound for the lands down under.

Beware though; it can be very hard living a day to day existence with your fingers permanently crossed. I tried it when the Euro-millions lottery jackpot reached £130 million and it did me no good whatsoever. I hope your luck is better than mine.

This is so very true, every time the £ looks as though it might make gains Mervyn King the BOE Governor opens his mouth with derogatary remarks that depress the £,
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I tried some "My Mate" from Coles today - lovely.

Charlie
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:32 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I tried some "My Mate" from Coles today - lovely.

Charlie
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Matt
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Hi

what a surprise!

Charlie
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

MAZIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DavidandGill
Good Morning

09 November 2010

The great manipulators

Good call we are leaving UK on 6th Dec 2010 and could do with a boost (something like 1.65-1.7) wow what a dreamer but hey you never know in this climate. I just hope that within the next 2 weeks we can secure some serious changes in the exchange rate otherwise we will owe them money!!!! I know a little pesimistic but to optomistic we need to look down first, dont we?? Cant wait to come over see the daughter and the grand kids it will be grand christmas in aus again with the new year to look forward to in a more positive way rather than thinking about leaving we will be thinking about work and the next year and more in Aus.

Last edited by MAZIE; Nov 15th 2010 at 10:50 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:52 am
Just Joined

DavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to allDavidandGill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MAZIE
Good call we are leaving UK on 6th Dec 2010 and could do with a boost (something like 1.65-1.7) wow what a dreamer but hey you never know in this climate. I just hope that within the next 2 weeks we can secure some serious changes in the exchange rate otherwise we will owe them money!!!! I know a little pesimistic but to optomistic we need to look down first, dont we?? Cant wait to come over see the daughter and the grand kids it will be grand christmas in aus again with the new year to look forward to in a more positive way rather than thinking about leaving we will be thinking about work and the next year and more in Aus.
Good Luck Mazie - we are going out for a visit in January for the birth of our number 2 grandchild and can't wait - hopefully it will be our last "holiday" to Aus and our next trip will be one-way!! Have a wonderful Christmas -
Fingers are crossed for FX improvement. G
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Just wondering if sirmatt101 can help again please. We have been told that when we arrive in Oz we are entitled to reciprocal health care on a visitor's visa and that we don't need to take out travel insurance to cover this. I was just wondering what the gaps are as I note you claimed on your insurance for some things.

I am having a problem finding a long-term cover that is one way. And the one way policies are limited to max 45 days. So just wondering if we really need it, apart from a policy to cover travel.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:18 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Just wondering if sirmatt101 can help again please. We have been told that when we arrive in Oz we are entitled to reciprocal health care on a visitor's visa and that we don't need to take out travel insurance to cover this. I was just wondering what the gaps are as I note you claimed on your insurance for some things.

I am having a problem finding a long-term cover that is one way. And the one way policies are limited to max 45 days. So just wondering if we really need it, apart from a policy to cover travel.
Hi. Yes, its correct that you are entitled to reciprocal health care on a visitors visa, but unlike the NHS here, for certain things like X-Rays, Dental Care, even Emergency Ambulances there is a charge above & beyond what Medicare covers. We ended up with approx $90 a time to pay on scans & X-Rays when the OH suffered a DVT, which along with medicines for that I claimed from the insurance. Problem is, you never know what is around the corner, and having been a person who would try to save every penny I could by not taking insurances in the past, I was glad I did and would do so again. Medical costs can spiral out of hand, if you are insured it takes the worry of money out of what can be very traumatic times when something goes wrong.

Cheers

Matt
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

ileay is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

For anyone interested I stumbled across this one way travel insurance. It covers medical expenses and legal expenses etc which other one way insurance tends not to. It's basically their single trip holiday insurance but it stipulates that it can be used by folks like us who are emigrating and want a better degree of insurance whilst travelling. It's the Post Office of all people.
I hope this if some help.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...single#anchor1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.