Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

CPV Off-Topic posts - now sparkling lifestyle chat in Australia!!

Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:40 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by fiz
For all of us marmite lovers..some Christmas ideas?

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/C~200295~Marmite
Hilarious! However much as I like the stuff, the "very peculiar milk chocolate bar" does make me feel queasy. I'll stay with putting it on toast I think (I'll take the other suggestions as read, Matt!)

Thanks

Steve
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

We went on the Seven Bridges Walk today and popped into an old grocer's shop in the Rocks - lo and behold there were jars of Britmite on the shelves, when questioned the shopkeeper told us that if you peeled back the Britmite label there was a Marmite label underneath.
Julie
Old Oct 31st 2010, 8:13 am

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandch
Hilarious! However much as I like the stuff, the "very peculiar milk chocolate bar" does make me feel queasy. I'll stay with putting it on toast I think (I'll take the other suggestions as read, Matt!)

Thanks

Steve
I was in Robert Dyas in Witney yesterday and I was wondering if the 2 people cooing over the marmite toast racks, egg cups etc were CPVers working out how many they could fit into their 25kg luggage allowance

Cheers

Matt
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

MAZIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all has anybody got any advice on selling your house via theese fast sell agents I know we wont get the full value of the house but the more i think of renting even through an agent i dont think its worth the hasstle also would we pay a lot in tax if we rented any advice thanks mazie::
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:42 am

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice

Originally Posted by MAZIE
Hi to all has anybody got any advice on selling your house via theese fast sell agents I know we wont get the full value of the house but the more i think of renting even through an agent i dont think its worth the hasstle also would we pay a lot in tax if we rented any advice thanks mazie::
Mazie,
as to rent the following rules apply:

Unless nonresidents take specific steps they will be taxed on net rental income sourced from the UK at a flat rate of 20%, which must be withheld by the tenant or letting agent, if there is one.

I personally would keep away from the "Quick Sell Agents" I did have some dealings with one when selling a property late last year in Guilford, it dragged on and in the end I declined to carry on dealing with them and sold the property through the normal channels at £15K more.

In anticipation of my Visa I have my property in Devon currently on the market, if by June 2011 we have no buyer I intend to either discount it or leave it on the market empty, no rates to pay for the first six months.

I keep thinking of offering either the buyer both the cars we have as an incentive or possibly a £XXX cash back in lieu of a discount on completion, I tend to get these ideas at around 4am!!!

Regards
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

MAZIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info we are thinking of leaving house empty but if anything happens (pipes burst break in or fire vandalisim) would insurance still be valid or would we need different cover thanks mazie
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:25 am

K and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really niceK and M is just really nice

Thanks for the info we are thinking of leaving house empty but if anything happens (pipes burst break in or fire vandalisim) would insurance still be valid or would we need different cover thanks mazie
Yes you will need a different insurance cover, and no doubt it will probably more expensive, they will need to be informed that the property will be unfurnished etc.

We intend to use a very good neighbour to pop in every couple of days to keep an eye on the place, also as we have a reasonable garden we intend to organise a gardener to pop in once a month to keep everything ship shape and presentable to potential buyers!! Though with a bit of luck and a following wind we JUST may sell it before we go!!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by K and M
Yes you will need a different insurance cover, and no doubt it will probably more expensive, they will need to be informed that the property will be unfurnished etc.

We intend to use a very good neighbour to pop in every couple of days to keep an eye on the place, also as we have a reasonable garden we intend to organise a gardener to pop in once a month to keep everything ship shape and presentable to potential buyers!! Though with a bit of luck and a following wind we JUST may sell it before we go!!
We're in the same position, we will need a policy which will cover extended empty periods, but we'll also have someone popping in now and again. The garden will be heavily cut back now and will be Ok until the spring, then we're into mowing contractors.

Best of luck with the marketing.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

yomvard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Maizie.
We are looking into renting with a good agent. Full management fees charge about 11-13% of rental fee. Also, they have given me a form to fill in which stops them deducting the UK tax as we would be living abroad. The form is a Non_Resident Landlord form which will give them an approval number to advise them not to deduct tax. Obviously we are liable for tax in Aus as income, but at least the house is occupied until we can sell it later.
regards
Sandy
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

jtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to beholdjtct is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
I was in Robert Dyas in Witney yesterday and I was wondering if the 2 people cooing over the marmite toast racks, egg cups etc were CPVers working out how many they could fit into their 25kg luggage allowance

Cheers

Matt
Stayed in Witney for a couple of nights last week - saw a bit of Burford from tea shop windows as it was tipping it down. At least it stayed dry for us at Blenheim and Oxford on Wednesday! Got some nice Marmite coasters and mugs recently in John Lewis
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:28 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fiz
For all of us marmite lovers..some Christmas ideas?

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/C~200295~Marmite

For all of us VEGEMITE LOVERS (me)...some Xmas ideas!

http://www.lasoo.com.au/catalogue/ta...tml?gotopage=2

Matt

Last edited by sirmatt101; Oct 31st 2010 at 7:30 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Julian927
and have sent away for our Seniors Discount Card.
With the visa number - obtained from govt. website - I applied for my Seniors card online.

Jean
Old Nov 1st 2010, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to allcharlie5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmm100uk
It is not actually necessary to have a label in the passport as there is a government electronic system which all official bodies and visa holders have access to - they can then see what your status is. I have been onto the system and printed off the page with the relevant details and will carry this with me although it is not supposed to be necessary. The only hiccup may be if leaving a country that does not have access to the system - to return to Australia - where they may need proof that you have permission to enter Australia. If this is seen as a necessity then it is recommended that a label is put into the passport. They way it is worded it sounds rather as if they wil be reluctant to label the passport unless you really need it. I havae notyet encountered any problems but ....... everywhere seems to be different!
Yes but there have been several instances where people or organisations have wanted to see physical proof of the visa:-

Bank needed this or they would have withheld tax on interest payments.
Rental agents as part of proof of ID
Solicitors when buying a house to prove the Federal Investment approval is not needed
etc, etc

So it is easy to get and reduces hassle.

Charlie
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 9:00 am

Thanks Charlie!

In case anyone wonders why the dollar has resumed its upward trajectory, the RBA has hiked interest rates by .25% again.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:56 am
We're on our way!!

SueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant futureSueAshforth has a brilliant future

Hi June

Just got ours last Friday - so excited! Spent all weekend trying to figure out how to get the cash to Oz - now we know how you feel!

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.